Poll: Do you listen to metal?

tsb247

Mar 6, 2009
thatonedude11 said:
I would definitely call myself a metalhead. I also listen to a crapton of different genres, including but not limited to: death metal (The Project Hate MCMXCIX [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=obHBV9kIrO4], Gojira [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-OESq1WDGc]), melo-death (Mors Principium Est [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKuzhIQ_wNE], Mercenary [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9Piw31mrAg]), power metal (Blind Guardian [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zjAxCx95mO8]), symphonic black metal (...And Oceans [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sIVXHTOZx8k]) and industrial metal (Sybreed [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUN7ZdsRAGQ], Black Comedy [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AwWPxutd8YQ]).

The only genre I'm not really into is doom metal. Well, and metalcore/deathcore, but I don't consider those metal anyway (yes I'm one of those assholes).
I noticed you linked to Mercenary. I have to ask, as a fellow Mercenary fan.

How do you feel about the change in their lineup and Rene Pederson's vocals? I actually enjoy their newer stuff, but there are quite a few old-school Mercenary fans who just aren't satisfied without Mikkel and Kral. I heard the two of them ran off to start their own project, Firesoul, but it's been a couple of years and nobody seems to have heard from them.

The Apple BOOM

Nov 16, 2012
I don't know how the genres work, I just like metal, so I wouldn't know what to say. I thoroughly enjoyed almost everything in Brutal Legend, I'm a big fan of Judas Priest, I like some Metallica, I love ACDC, and I could list more. I decidedly don't like high voices (not metal, but think My Chemical Romance, unless they are metal) and I'm not a fan of what I know as screamo. Could someone help me? I think most of what I like is considered Thrash, but I'm not sure.

Godhead

Dib dib dib, dob dob dob.
May 25, 2009
I do enjoy me some good metal, however I don't really like to bog myself down with what specific genres they are. I just listen to what I like, even though I use genres to help me find a specific sound or band I really like. I actually go to concerts more often than I buy albums, which may or may not be weird.

sextus the crazy said:
I like metal, but the closest I get to a favorite genre is "Extreme progressive metal" a la Opeth/mastodon or "tech death" a la death & Gojira.
Just out of curiosity, do you listen to Alcest?

BathorysGraveland2

Feb 9, 2013
The Apple BOOM said:
I decidedly don't like high voices.
I just got to ask you here. I know you aren't well versed in genres and things, but I'm curious. You say you like Judas Priest. Yet the bands vocalist, Rob Halford, is famous for having some of the highest vocals in music, period. In their classic song, "Victim of Changes", towards the end, he does one of the more notable screams in Judas Priest's discography. The way you say you don't like "high voices" after listing Judas Priest as a band you like just interests me, is all.

BreakfastMan

Scandinavian Jawbreaker
Jul 22, 2010
Considering I currently have this open:
Yeah, I would consider myself one. I enjoy most all genres, really, though I like Black and Death the least (a good solid half or more of the "classic" bands in each genre I can't stand most of the time).

Kenbo Slice

Deep In The Willow
Jun 7, 2010
I listen to a variety of metal. I love death metal, metalcore, thrash, etc etc. Also, elitist metalheads are the worst. Who are you to decide what's metal and what's not?

Caiphus

Social Office Corridor
Mar 31, 2010
A fair bit. Generally to the Scandinavian stuff, like Soilwork and Scar Symmetry. I've no idea what the distinctions between the various kinds of metal mean, so I can't really answer the poll, but I know what I like.

FrozenCones

Dec 31, 2009
Does "metal" have a certain prerequisites before it can be classified under that genre? A band like Stone Sour for instance, is that metal or rock?

aba1

Mar 18, 2010
I listen to just about anything but ya I like metal. I was actually listening to some Cradle of Filth today.

The Apple BOOM

Nov 16, 2012
BathorysGraveland2 said:
The Apple BOOM said:
I decidedly don't like high voices.
I just got to ask you here. I know you aren't well versed in genres and things, but I'm curious. You say you like Judas Priest. Yet the bands vocalist, Rob Halford, is famous for having some of the highest vocals in music, period. In their classic song, "Victim of Changes", towards the end, he does one of the more notable screams in Judas Priest's discography. The way you say you don't like "high voices" after listing Judas Priest as a band you like just interests me, is all.
I thought this would come up. I guess I wasn't clear. I mean the youthful male high voice. It's a distinct thing, at least to me. I hear it a lot in modern music and just don't like it at all. While Rob Halford is both male and high pitched, it's a MUCH different style. I hope you get what I mean.

BathorysGraveland2

Feb 9, 2013
The Apple BOOM said:
I thought this would come up. I guess I wasn't clear. I mean the youthful male high voice. It's a distinct thing, at least to me. I hear it a lot in modern music and just don't like it at all. While Rob Halford is both male and high pitched, it's a MUCH different style. I hope you get what I mean.
Hmm, yes, I get what you mean. At least I think I do. I'm not familiar with My Chemical Romance and bands of their ilk, but if you mean that whiney kind of high voice, then yeah. I agree.

Raggedstar

Jul 5, 2011
I tend to listen to power and symphonic metal, with my favourites being Nightwish, Sonata Arctica, Stratovarius, and Within Temptation. Been meaning to get into some Epica too. I love the variety in metal. You got vicious death metal, and then on the other end of the spectrum we got a bunch of dudes on celloes (Apocalyptica) to bloody a capella (Van Canto). I also remember seeing some folk metal as well getting some bagpipe action in there too!

Though I float around other sub-genres as well, since I also listen to bands like Metallica, Black Sabbath (primarily Dio era), and Rammstein. Just whatever tickles my fancy, since I do have a friend (who is an actual drummer in a metal band) who sometimes shows me anything outside of my bubble he thinks I like. I generally don't like growls or anything too loud or heavy but I make exceptions here and there.

I wouldn't consider myself elitest at all though, and I hate it when people get that into it. Never been in any conversation where I think anything is inherently superior to anything else. I guess mostly it's because of my tastes not normally considered to be very "metal" but sods to them.

stormeris

Aug 29, 2011
I listen to a whole lot of metal.
Megadeth, Black Sabbath, Slipknot, Ensiferum, Nightwish, Rammstein, Metallica and others.

It's pretty much the only genre i do listen, i hate pop music, techno, rap and whatever else.

However, i do enjoy Classical music, especially Johann Sebastian Bach

thatonedude11

Mar 6, 2011
tsb247 said:
thatonedude11 said:
I noticed you linked to Mercenary. I have to ask, as a fellow Mercenary fan.

How do you feel about the change in their lineup and Rene Pederson's vocals? I actually enjoy their newer stuff, but there are quite a few old-school Mercenary fans who just aren't satisfied without Mikkel and Kral. I heard the two of them ran off to start their own project, Firesoul, but it's been a couple of years and nobody seems to have heard from them.
You know, despite liking them a lot, I only have 3 of their albums (11 Dreams, The Hours That Remain, and very recently Architect of Lies), and I didn't know they changed their vocalist until you mentioned it.

I'm listening to A New Dawn right now, and while the clean vocals are definitely different, it is by no means terrible. I'll have to listen to some more of their newer stuff to get a full opinion. Sorry for a somewhat disappointing answer.

PrimitiveJudge

Aug 14, 2012
Oh yeah, in fact it's all I listen to.

Power
Thrash
Death
Melodic
Symphonic
Black
Viking
Pirate
Heavy
Gothic
Extreme
Doom

I spend most of the time listening to most bands from Scandinavia, and other northern European countries. Very little of the U.S.

Torrasque

Aug 6, 2010
I used to consider myself a metalhead, but when a band I like has 4 different albums that are 4 different kinds of metal, 3 of which I really like but 1 that I don't, it's hard to say "I like this band" because you have to be really specific, "I like this band, but only these albums". Especially when they vary their sound WITHIN the album, "I like this band, but only these albums, and only these songs of these albums". It's irritating to have to explain.
Not to mention you have to sometimes change your opinion of a band as time goes on. For example, Cradle of Filth creates a different sound with every new album they make. Midian is one of my favourite albums of all music and I really like Nymphetamine, but a lot of their other albums bored me after a few listens and others I just can't stand at all. Other bands like Arch Enemy and Nightwish change drastically by changing their singer. Arch Enemy went from "good guitars, but don't really care for the total package" to "wow, I fucking love Arch Enemy!" with the addition of Angela Gossow, while Nightwish went from "THIS SHIT IS SO FUCKING GOOD" to "Man... I miss Tarja :(" with the addition of Anette.

These days, I consider myself someone that enjoys good music and I just know that I like a lot more metal than I do of any other kind of genre of music. I'm also much more critical of metal than any other genre of music /shrug

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
I listen to some classic metal. Mostly Metallica, Iron Maiden, Ozzie/Black Sabbath, ect. It's the mainstream stuff, so I'm not a metal head by ant means. I prefer rock.

I have been trying to get more into it though, so I may listen to some of the mentioned bands.

Apr 7, 2010
Majority of the music I listen to is metal or close to. Folk metal in particular is my cup of tea, but I also very much enjoy melodeath, symphonic metal, melodic black metal, traditional heavy metal, and others, including metalcore (yeah, yeah, it's not "true" metal, some would say, but whatever, to me it belongs in the genre). These three would describe my tastes pretty well:

Mauler

Jul 11, 2012
Well yeah i listen to metal also to classik rock and whatewer AC/DC is...