Poll: Do you listen to rap?

kanyewhite

Sep 2, 2012
YES YES YES. Chief Keef, Tyga, Tyler the Creator, Kanye West, Kid Cudi, 2 Chainz. Hey I have to go and listen to those now

Johnnyseven

Mar 5, 2012
Not sure if its classed as rap/hip hop or whatever but the only "Rap" music I've really liked to the point I could listen to over and over is from a producer called Nujabes.

The first song is a good example.

Roofstone

May 13, 2010
A bit?
I don't really listen to just one singular type of music. Which half the internet seems to do.

Sure, I'll listen ro rap, just not the kind about guns, whores, or shooting whores with guns... Those are a bit distasteful I find.

Johnnyseven

Mar 5, 2012
Roofstone said:
Sure, I'll listen ro rap, just not the kind about guns, whores, or shooting whores with guns... Those are a bit distasteful I find.
Pretty much that, shame that that's about the only kind of music I hear when I'm out around where I live.

sephiroth1991

Dec 3, 2009
I enjoy many songs which diverse into different genres, while i wouldn't say im a fan i can sit back and listen to Tupac or Eminem easily, I enjoy it when other genres mix like;

and

Aug 31, 2012
No. Not because I don't like it but because I don't really listen to music at all these days. I listened to gangsta rap when I was a teenager in ye olde 90's, so early-mid 90's would be my favourite and I'm pretty much entirely ignorant of anything after 2000.

darthmj94

Jan 19, 2010
I treat rap lake I do all music. There is good stuff, and there is bad stuff. If I listened to music based on the genera, I would be listening to only a few things that I actually like and about several billion things that are absolute crap.

SadisticBrownie

May 9, 2011
Don't like it personally. However, I do listen to a lot of trip hop and there's sometimes rapping on that, which I generally tolerate.

ProtoChimp

Feb 8, 2010
I don't like the majority of rap you'll here on the music channels these days. But I do love Drake, Eminem, old school 90's rap and proper old school 80's rap. Lil Wayne can be really annoying sometimes but he has gotten much much better in the past few years, and No Love with Eminem is an epic song.

My real heart for rap though comes from any that tells a story. I don't like gloating rap unless it gives some kind of reason as to why you can gloat. For example, Hate it or Love it by 50 Cent and The Game, they explain the shit they've been through, show how they earned their way, and now they gloat-fair enough. When your first album is you gloating (FUCK YOU MIMS WHERE IS YOUR CAREER NOW?!?!) then it really gets on my nerves.

I like rap that merges with other genres like rock and jazz and blues. I love the Afro Samurai soundtrack as its like oriental music with a hip hop beat. Especially chinese style music, like this [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sqs-hnmH7zk]

and this, no lyrics but I like the beat (maybe it doesn't count as hip hop but fuck it I like the song) [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sqs-hnmH7zk]

I love rap. It's the one genre that can go in so many different directions, but so few people realise it.

Also the entire Madworld and Anarchy reigns soundtrack, and the rap that comes from Roosterteeth, I think by a guy named Jeff Williams.

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
mitchell271 said:
PunkRex said:
Im mainly a Heavy Metal/Classical kind of guy but abit of Bone Crusher every now and then doesn't hurt.
When you say Classical, do you mean orchestral stuff? If so,
Thanks for this, sounds awesome sauce!

Ashadowpie

Feb 3, 2012
i personally hate the "popular" rap because its down right disgusting and a step backwards in music. i think the only rap i can and used to sorta listen to was Eminem, yah i know he swore and rapped about killing his wife, but at least his shit was funny.

the only rap song i listen to now is just 2 songs and its the WTF Collective 1 and 2. im more of a non lyrical orchestra lover. not a person who wants to listen to a rap song of how many ways to f*** a hooker, kill cops and finish off with swimming in money. yah know?

ArchAngelKira

Mar 25, 2010
Yes but the only rap songs I listen to are row row fight the power,soul eaters 3 ed song,and falling twards the sky. (if anyone could link these songs I'd be greatful)

rosac

Sep 13, 2008
Yeah, but only when it has a dance beat to it/is eminem/is a british rapper (Devlin, Example,Plan B especially.)

repeating integers

Mar 17, 2010
Recently I've been getting into it. Cloud Rap, mostly.

<youtube=fslxwBRQjEI>

Sorry, but if you cannot bring yourself to find beauty in this... I don't know what to say.

cikame

Jun 11, 2008
Can't stand the culture, egotistic lyrics and lack of creativity in the music, which is usually just a beat on repeat.
The only rap i like is Limb Bizkit, but not certain tracks.

Oh and i really like this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NXmTtumpKG8&list=FLPhg8TO_zCQZKaSrm3Tw1Mw

Smolderin

Feb 5, 2012
Only when it is mixed in with Rock music, and only when it is done right. Other than that, I have a bit of a hatred for stereotypical rap, mainly because of the subject matter most rap I have seen deal in. Granted I am sure there are some respectable rap artists out there, but your not sending a good message about your genre of music when all the mainstream stuff is talking about drugs, and slapping women. And yes I know other genres of music do that to but from what I have seen, Rap more-so.

Dangit2019

Aug 8, 2011
Nouw said:
Most recently I've been hooked onto Power by Kanye West, beautiful song
Just listen to the album. Seriously, I don't care how much of a douchebag he is, or all the sampling he does, my advice to you is to listen to the rest of My Beautiful Twisted Dark Fantasy. You won't regret it.

OT: Yes, I listen to it a lot more than most Escapists seem to. I'm mostly a rock/metal guy, but I really don't like the attitude of "IT'S NOT MY FAVORITE GENRE, AND IT'S ON THE RADIO, SO IT SUUUUUUUUUUCKS" that a lot of people have adopted. Just like all other music, the radio crap sucks for the most part, but if you just dip a little bit (just a little) below the surface, you'll mostly enjoy what you find.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
No, never. Sorry I can't fatten the reply with more verbiage but there's nothing more to add. I just don't.