Poll: Do you object to being called a "gamer"?

dyre

Mar 30, 2011
Not at all. I'm very happy with what games have provided me, even though at times I've played way too much of them.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
No, not really. No more than I would object to someone calling me a bookworm.

Then again, in my case it's a moot point. I've never even heard someone say "gamer" out loud.

infohippie

Oct 1, 2009
creationis apostate said:
I agree with extar credits in saying that I play games and I am therefore a gamer. I also watch movies; listen to all kinds of music and read. Do I get any kind of label for those? No.
Well, you could be known as a "reader". I understand they're not too fond of those down in Arkansas.

And if you listen to music, I think by default you're called a "pirate". Well, it seems that's what RIAA call it, anyway.

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
creationis apostate said:
I agree with extar credits in saying that I play games and I am therefore a gamer. I also watch movies; listen to all kinds of music and read. Do I get any kind of label for those? No.
That is a good point but most everyone does those other things.
50 years ago you might have been called a bookworm if that was all you did (before video games and ipods).

I don't mind being called a gamer any more than I mind being called an artist, a musician, a hypnotist, a traveler, or a scholar of various things. Gaming may not be as prestigious as a couple of those other things but it's one of the things that defines me I guess.

Maybe the trick is to make sure it isn't the only thing that defines you.

Palademon

Mar 20, 2010
I don't object to it.
I object to the image people get in their heads whenever it's mentioned.

Drakmeire

Elite Member
Jun 27, 2009
Country
United States
not at all.
I like games, therefore I am a gamer.
I like movies therefore I am a film geek.
I like anime therefore I am an anime fan (Otaku has some BAD meanings behind it so that I object to)
I like to read therefore I am a bookworm.
just a way of saying you like something.
nothing bad about it, expect for the otaku one.

omega3711

Jul 11, 2011
I'm not offended by the title, I don't feel it implies that I do nothing else. People can be painters, writers and gamers as well; it's just easier and shorter to say I'm a gamer than to say that I like to play video games a lot.

tlozoot

Feb 8, 2010
Not at all, but I think far too many people use the badge of 'gamer' with such a cliquey passion that they end up making gaming too exclusionary for newcomers to get into.

Jamboxdotcom

Nov 3, 2010
Salopian said:
Personally I find it quite riling when people say that I'm a "gamer". I like games, but I also like movies and music and books and art and cooking and history and philosophy and lots of other things, but for some reason no one ever objectifies me based on any of these. Instead, I am defined by the fact that I like playing games.

Anyone else?
Same exact thing. Plus, "gamer" is almost exclusively used pejoratively, or at least condescendingly. I prefer to be called a geek or a nerd, 'cause at least those do a better job of encompassing more of my interests.

malestrithe

Aug 18, 2008
I am a gamer. I do not hate the label.

I am also a movie junkie. I do not hate that label either.

What I can't stand is people wanting to make artificial distinctions between types of gamers.

"That person is a not a true gamer: he plays Call of Duty, Bejeweled, or whatever."

In my neck of the woods, that is called a No True Scotsman Fallacy.

jpoon

Mar 26, 2009
Doesn't bother me one bit, whatever. I play video games...what of it?

Artina89

Oct 27, 2008
No I don't mind being called a "gamer". Its just a term that describes one of my hobbies, as long as people realise that it isn't my only defining characteristic, then I have no problem.

TheDooD

Dec 23, 2010
Hey I had my unpatched version of the "Gamer" Perk for 20 years, I'm glad to be called one.

trollnystan

I'm back, baby, & still dancing!
Dec 27, 2010
Not really, although I don't consider myself a gamer in the way the title is usually used.

¤ I play games on casual. I might go up to as high up as hard once in a blue moon.
¤ I will not run around looking for every single collectable in a game without a cheat sheet in the wings if doing so means losing 4-6 hours of my life searching like a blind idiot - heck I'll sometimes skip the collectables all together unless they give you stuff.
¤ I'm a button masher.
¤ I gamed very seldom until I was around 18 years old; in fact for years the only games I played with any regularity was Doom and the Encarta children's trivia game.
¤ Half the time I don't know what you guys are talking about - games, developers, inside jokes, etc.
¤ I'm a girl. (j/k)

There are probably more points I could bring up against my gamer status - ones that make more sense even - but I'm super-duper-über tired.

TL;DR: No.