Poll: Do you object to being called a "gamer"?

Dr. Feelgood

Jul 13, 2010
No, it is what I am after all. I understand why you might be upset, though. It kind of feels like you're being a bit alienated, or it implies it's the only thing you do.

WayOutThere

Aug 1, 2009
Salopian said:
Personally I find it quite riling when people say that I'm a "gamer". I like games, but I also like movies and music and books and art and cooking and history and philosophy and lots of other things, but for some reason no one ever objectifies me based on any of these. Instead, I am defined by the fact that I like playing games.

Anyone else?
I hardly understand what you mean by "objectified". It's not as if people think gaming is all there is to you.

Terms like gamer (and, for another example, atheist) exist because many people aren't gamers and therefore whether or not you're a gamer can not be taken as a given the same way movier or booker can. The term actually exists for a reason.

My vote is that we do nothing to stop people from calling us gamers. When the term goes away on its own we can be happy that its no longer necessary.

Nieroshai

Aug 20, 2009
The poll has spoken Escapist, stop trying to tell us what we do or do not think. You've been pushing this a while now, it's time to note that it has NOT caught on.

King Toasty

Oct 2, 2010
No. It's a term used to describe people who really, really like games. So it fits.

I don't see much of that negative stereotype anymore, at least not where I live.

Nyce1

Jun 25, 2010
I enjoy games so being called a gamer is not a big deal. I been playing since the eighties and find the term to be fine. Any label can be seen as negative it depends on the ears and self-confidence the label falls upon. Proud to be one!

Laser Priest

A Magpie Among Crows
Mar 24, 2011
Nope. Some other gamers suck. The opinion of anyone who groups all gamers with those idiots doesn't matter to me.

I play games, and I enjoy it. That makes me a gamer.

Sinclair Solutions

Jul 22, 2010
Well, I don't mind, but I don't really want a title. If someone calls me it, I'll admit to it. But I never would wear one of those tasteless shirts that say "Gamer" on it. No, sir. I only wear shirts with superhero logos on the chest.

TheRyry

Jul 12, 2011
I honestly don't mind being called a Gamer but when people typecast me as 'The Gamer' I have a small problem with that.

ThePurpleStuff

Apr 30, 2010
I play games so I'm a gamer, but I also watch movies and listen to music, its not like gaming is all that I am. I used to make comic books when I was a kid, I don't make them anymore but I want to now, just don't have the materials.

PlasmaFrog

Feb 2, 2009
Well, here's the thing about being narrowed down into a specific social category...

To define an individual as a group is to form intolerance or acceptance for who that person might actually be, in a sense, stereotyping. Possibly and eventually, just plain prejudice. Being specifically defined as a gamer hurts my feelings to a certain extent since it opens doors and windows to certain undesired social experiences and interactions in between most others. I enjoy novels, jogging, and other things that most others might too. So, say if you enjoyed playing football. Would you be offended if I narrowed your social status down to the level of being called a jock and making irrational comments such as man-hugger or potential closet alcoholic. Yes, I'm sure that you would be disheartened by such a remark, or even possibly enraged.

In today's media or public view, gaming is unnecessarily used as a scapegoat for most common scenarios involving illiteracy all the way to murder. When you're a gamer, people will generally look down on you as a lower being of sorts, intellectually undesirable and dependent, all that sort. This is hardly true at most. Yes, there are people are there portraying these similar qualities due to unhealthy mental and physical life styles, but that's them and only them. Not me, or even the guy that I know down the street.

I understand that most people need to have their standards to feel socially accepted, alike needing to have the ability to sort and manage certain items on your shelves as ugly to perfect. The point is that most folks need a person to look down on, and one to look up to in a manor that is worthy of praise and worship. I've really never accepted this, but I've understood it crystal clear.

So, people, before you go making irrational suggestions about that "gamer" down the block, remember that he is no different from you. You have your hobbies, he has his. Accept him/her as a fellow human being, rather than some undesirable. Educate yourself before you make these decisions too. That's all that I ask.

loc978

Sep 18, 2010
I'm very much old guard, and damn near impossible to offend... so no, I really don't object to the moniker.

TheLoneBeet

Feb 15, 2011
I'm fine with it. I don't take offense to being called something I plainly am. I wouldn't take offense if somebody called me white (Caucasian) so why take offense to being called a gamer?

Princess Rose

Jul 10, 2011
Salopian said:
Personally I find it quite riling when people say that I'm a "gamer". I like games, but I also like movies and music and books and art and cooking and history and philosophy and lots of other things, but for some reason no one ever objectifies me based on any of these. Instead, I am defined by the fact that I like playing games.
Anyone else?
Nope.

I'm a gamer, and proud.
I'm an otaku, and proud. And female, so technically I should use a different term, but the subject matter applies.

I'm a fan of various types of music, and sci-fi / fantasy novels. There isn't a term for that, as far as I know.

Do they bother me? Nope.

Drummie666

Jan 1, 2011
No, I don't really see a problem with it. It would be like calling roger ebert a movie go'er. It's simply a word that means I play video games.

Chibz

Sep 12, 2008
creationis apostate said:
I agree with extar credits in saying that I play games and I am therefore a gamer. I also watch movies; listen to all kinds of music and read. Do I get any kind of label for those? No.
As much as I usually agree with the folks at extra credits, they made one mistake with that episode: They completely ignored gaming culture. They seemed to forget that a culture sprung up around the art form, and a label comes with that culture.

On that note, I'm creating a list of things that I honestly expect someone to fulfill before I take them seriously as a gamer.

"Must have rescued a princess. Zelda, Toadstool, 'The woman'. Almost any princess will do."