Poll: Do You Use the Word "Gay" as an Insult?

KarumaK

Sep 24, 2008
Of course I do, there is never any reason to waste an acceptable vocal insult.

NEVER.

teh_Canape

May 18, 2010
really, I never use it

it's just, a stupid word overall

I mean, really, how could possibly "gay" be an insult, I mean, it's not even a powerful word =P

and it just makes you look like an ass

Stasisesque

Nov 25, 2008
This thread's pretty gay.

I'll use the term amongst close friends and acquaintances who know me well enough to know I don't view it as a insult. If I had to analyse my usage of the word, it would be far more closely related to its original meaning (carefree/happy/showy) than homosexuality, i.e. "My Little Pony's such a gay franchise." Yes I mean it derogatively, but I have no issue with homosexuality (I actually don't care about it at all, sorry), I just like to point out how over the top My Little Pony is.

Unlikely to use it in the company of strangers, the same way I'm not going to bring up any controversial or taboo topic. No idea how they'll react.

Atticus89

Nov 8, 2010
Nope. Even though my job strongly discourages such usage of the word, I don't say it as an insult regardless of where I am.

Just_A_Glitch

Dec 10, 2009
smearyllama said:
Just_A_Glitch said:
Not to people, but when I'm playing Blazblue or something online and I lose a match I know I should have one, I've been known to let loose a few "GAAAAAAY" shouts.

I've also shouted "STAAAAAIGHT" once or twice though, for the lulz.

Pretty much, if it has a strong A, I'll shout it.
PAAAAAAAAYMENT
AAAAAAAVIARY
LAAAAAASERS
Like that?
Depending on the character I lose to, I may have to use LAAAAAASERS.

TeeBs said:
Just_A_Glitch said:
Not to people, but when I'm playing Blazblue or something online and I lose a match I know I should have one, I've been known to let loose a few "GAAAAAAY" shouts.

I've also shouted "STAAAAAIGHT" once or twice though, for the lulz.

Pretty much, if it has a strong A, I'll shout it.
You don't SAAAAYYYY
HOORAAAAAY! Its catching on!

CrashBang

Jun 15, 2009
Yes, yes I do. My best friend is gay, one of my flatmates is gay and neither of them are offended by using 'gay' as an insult. In fact when I do something that's a little gay, they themselves use it. It's not a big deal

Daeggreth

Oct 22, 2009
Every once in a while in a negative context, as in "that's so gay". It's a horrible habit I picked up in high school where I was mostly surrounded by people of a very red-neck attitude towards homosexuality and I feel really bad whenever it slips out.

Also: ANTIDISESTABLISHMENTAAAAAARIANISM

smearyllama

May 9, 2010
TeeBs said:
smearyllama said:
No. It's offensive on an intellectual level.
Alexander The Great was gay, dammit! You don't see people insulting him!
I believe that there needs to be more love in this world, no matter how it's directed, so why would the spreading of love be an insult?
I'm all for gay rights and I love gay people, but have you ever seen a white supremest *SP* use in there defense, "Its not a message of hate its a message of love"
Huh? Did I accidentally sound like a white supremest? If I did, then I'll edit my post.
I really didn't get your post.

Signa

Noisy Lurker
Legacy
Jul 16, 2008
Country
USA
DAVEoftheDEAD said:
I use the word gay for things i think are bad. "thats gay" "you're gay" "how gay is that?!"
I find this acceptable because while you are associating the word "gay" in a negative context, it in no way means you feel that gays are something to be viewed in a negative context. Take a look at the Harley driver episode of Southpark. No one calls each other "fags" because they hate gay people. The original meaning of those words has been subverted to general use for everything, and only the bleeding heart liberals think that you are disparaging a particular section of the population when you use those words.

Just remember folks, it's not the words but how you mean them. Y'all have a fucking nice day!

**************************EDIT:********************************
I just posted this on the 9th page, but then I realized no one was going to read it, so I'm editing it in here. I hope it doesn't mess with the impact of my last line in this post.
I'm seeing two schools of thought in this thread:

1) Saying something reinforces it as negative, and therefore should not be said at all

2) Saying something repeatedly dulls, mutes or subverts its meaning, therefore it should be said more so that no one will complain about it being non-PC.

I don't know if this insight will reach many people on the 9th page, but consider which group you are in when you start discussing, because it's the belief in one of those two "facts" that is driving the arguments.

TaboriHK

Sep 15, 2008
Occasionally. It's just a word that was thrown around in that context when I was a kid. It has nothing to do with homosexuality. I don't see what the big deal is. It seems we want to believe that words are insanely destructive.

TeeBs

Oct 9, 2010
smearyllama said:
TeeBs said:
smearyllama said:
No. It's offensive on an intellectual level.
Alexander The Great was gay, dammit! You don't see people insulting him!
I believe that there needs to be more love in this world, no matter how it's directed, so why would the spreading of love be an insult?
I'm all for gay rights and I love gay people, but have you ever seen a white supremest *SP* use in there defense, "Its not a message of hate its a message of love"
Huh? Did I accidentally sound like a white supremest? If I did, then I'll edit my post.
I really didn't get your post.
Oh no sorry, the point I was getting at was everyones definition of love is different.