Poll: Do You Use the Word "Gay" as an Insult?

Chrinik

May 8, 2008
Ocasionally. I use it as an adjective to negative things mostly. Like when my boss comes in and tells me some of the cocks in the shipping department fucked something up. Or when a certain material cannot be found.
I don´t actually mean to insult gay people, because, I don´t have anything against homosexuals, really.
It´s the flamboyant faggots who get all my spite...because when the first thing that comes to your mind when you hear the word "Homosexual" is a Gay Pride Parade, you are not exactly helping your cause, homos!

Signa

Noisy Lurker
Legacy
Jul 16, 2008
Country
USA
Gamblerjoe said:
Altering a persons argument to make it easier to counter is called a "strawman argument."
I think Dorothy of Kansas, slayer of the wicked witches, wants a word with you for disparaging her strawman friend. I believe you just directly called him stupid, so he has the right to burn your house down now. At least that follows the logic of our good friend Serenegoose.

Emo-Hawk

Jul 9, 2008
Its something I hardly use in public, but when out with my group of friends (who are all male non of whom are homosexual) we will throw it around to one another, when making "those" sort of jokes. like "I swear to god if you don't stop snoring I'm going to stick my balls in your mouth just so you'll shut the feck up!" which no doubtingly will replied with "alright...gay"

Always think of it like this, there's a right time for everything and using it can either be right (in a group of friends you are comfortable with who also use it) or wrong, (insert generic time when using the word gay has made a situation worse)

LightspeedJack

May 2, 2010
Yes although it's not because I'm homophobic its just that I've heard the word used hundreds of times a day by everyone around me and it just becomes a habit. And I only say it jokingly, for example:

"Hey [male friend] you're gay! Only joking I would so do you."

Signa

Noisy Lurker
Legacy
Jul 16, 2008
Country
USA
katsumoto03 said:
Signa said:
DAVEoftheDEAD said:
I use the word gay for things i think are bad. "thats gay" "you're gay" "how gay is that?!"
I find this acceptable because while you are associating the word "gay" in a negative context, it in no way means you feel that gays are something to be viewed in a negative context. Take a look at the Harley driver episode of Southpark. No one calls each other "fags" because they hate gay people. The original meaning of those words has been subverted to general use for everything, and only the bleeding heart liberals think that you are disparaging a particular section of the population when you use those words.

Just remember folks, it's not the words but how you mean them. Y'all have a fucking nice day!
I find that most people use that SP episode as an excuse when somebody eventually calls them out for calling someone a fag. Even if you don't mean to call them a homosexual, it's still how it's commonly used. It also shows that you have a very weak vocabulary.
I wouldn't call it evidence as much as a cultural shift illustrated in popular media. I don't use "fag" that often, if at all because I think "asshole" sounds a lot more shocking. It's a known dirty part of the body that you don't want to be compared to.

I however feel that "******" is far more disrespectful to gays than "gay" or "fag." I'd still be fine with some one saying it in the "you're not just and asshole, but an extreme asshole" context, but I wouldn't jump to their defense when the gay guy next to their target goes "what did you say!?!"

solec216

Nov 11, 2009
i used to say it alot but it mostly just as a insult reply but then just realized how dum it justas going back and forth. i bear no hate towards homosexuals just was stupid things said in rage.

Stasisesque

Nov 25, 2008
Signa said:
katsumoto03 said:
Signa said:
DAVEoftheDEAD said:
I use the word gay for things i think are bad. "thats gay" "you're gay" "how gay is that?!"
I find this acceptable because while you are associating the word "gay" in a negative context, it in no way means you feel that gays are something to be viewed in a negative context. Take a look at the Harley driver episode of Southpark. No one calls each other "fags" because they hate gay people. The original meaning of those words has been subverted to general use for everything, and only the bleeding heart liberals think that you are disparaging a particular section of the population when you use those words.

Just remember folks, it's not the words but how you mean them. Y'all have a fucking nice day!
I find that most people use that SP episode as an excuse when somebody eventually calls them out for calling someone a fag. Even if you don't mean to call them a homosexual, it's still how it's commonly used. It also shows that you have a very weak vocabulary.
I wouldn't call it evidence as much as a cultural shift illustrated in popular media. I don't use "fag" that often, if at all because I think "asshole" sounds a lot more shocking. It's a known dirty part of the body that you don't want to be compared to.

I however feel that "******" is far more disrespectful to gays than "gay" or "fag." I'd still be fine with some one saying it in the "you're not just and asshole, but an extreme asshole" context, but I wouldn't jump to their defense when the gay guy next to their target goes "what did you say!?!"
Fag and ****** don't really work across the pond. Americanisations are seeping through, whether we like it or not (we don't), but "fag" still means "cigarette" and "faggots" are still hell of tasty.

Madara XIII

Sep 23, 2010
DAVEoftheDEAD said:
FUCKING THANK YOU!!!! I don't use it to insult or imply that someone is homosexual, but I use it to replace the word bad or stupid in my vocabulary among friends.

If anything me and my friends use the word "******" as a form of insult to imply stupidity.

Why? Because it's just something that started up. Even gay people I know have said stuff like "That movie was gay!".

My context for gay just differs from the normal idea.

Amethyst Wind

Apr 1, 2009
When I was younger I did use it as I didn't know any better. Stopped using it halfway through high school.

This still makes me chuckle occasionally though:

spartan231490

Jan 14, 2010
I don't generally use gay as an insult, I'm very good at figuring out people "weak spots" so if i get in a war of words with someone, I make it hurt. However, to address the title of the thread, yes it's an insult, because it's used as one. That doesn't mean it's particularly effective though, words only have as much power over you as you allow them to have.