Poll: Does the use of a sniper rifle excuse camping?

DtDust

Aug 13, 2009
Personally i think that it (For the most part) does.

But there are some exceptions.
If you are playing Halo for example, you can shoot just as accurately running 30 miles an hour as standing still, so in that game i don't think so, but since it usually takes 2 shots it is more acceptable.

Playing Team Fortress 2 i believe it is absolutely acceptable, after all, you need to charge your shots, heads are (Relatively) small, and you usually wound up deaf from random Demoman/Solder spam, and your totally boned at close range. and even if yo find a good spot, the second you kill someone, they get a snapshot of exactly where you are.

Now the big one, Call of duty 4/MW2
It depends, Demolition, S&D, Domination, CTF, its definitely fair, they are objective games with need of a static defense.
Headquarters, its understandable but annoying, but usually not practical with the constantly switching objective and chaotic spawns, for the most part you can avoid half the map while still getting to the objectives in time
In 3rd-Person games with ACOG, God no, that crap is basically a little "Fuck You" dot. Its 100% accurate 1-shot kills WHILE MOVING WITHOUT STEADY AIM (I am aware that i just notified dozens of people of that trick, but i don't play 3rd person so HA!)
Hardcore games its a little double ended, i can see why staying in the same bush is attractive, with all the SMG's running around spraying their way to victory, but with no killcam its harder to believe it is balanced

So what do you all think? Acceptable? In what games is it acceptable? Am i talking out of my ass?

Also, if you use the Barrett, you suck at sniping, PERIOD.
You can still be a good player, but not a good sniper

Edit 1:
sasquatch99 said:
And how does using the Barrett mean you suck at sniping, period?
With the major one shot kill sniper rifles, you should only need one shot

DeadlyYellow said:
Are you referring to regular camping or spawn camping?
I was talking about normal camping,
I dont have as much trouble with spawn camping in MW2, getting killed fast, yes, but someone sitting outside spawn points? never (Except Highrise, fuck Highrise)

And wow, EVERY option got one vote for awhile there on the poll

grimsprice

Jun 28, 2009

If you don't like it. Stop playing.

What would you do in a real battle?

Sassafrass

This is a placeholder
Legacy
Aug 24, 2009
Country
United Kingdom
grimsprice said:

If you don't like it. Stop playing.

What would you do in a real battle?
Love that picture.

OT: Yes, yes it is.
Although I always move after every shot.
And how does using the Barrett mean you suck at sniping, period?

DeadlyYellow

Jun 18, 2008
Are you referring to regular camping or spawn camping? There are typically ways around regular campers. Linearity in multiplayer maps is typically the product of a bad designer, so there are numerous paths to any given spot. Thus getting to the sniper is fair game.

I don't consider spawn camping to be a legitimate strategy. It's a cheap tactic for a shallow victory.

A random person

Apr 20, 2009
Considering that sniping fundamentally is camping and shooting from that spot, yes it does.

As for your poll, I'd say shotguns since they're a good weapon for defending a point, which is a fundamental reason for camping.

Trivun

Stabat mater dolorosa
Dec 13, 2008
I think people who spawn camp are as bad as cheaters. Campers who use aimbots are cheaters simply because of the bot. But otherwise? If you mean finding a good position (such as somewhere with a clear view of the one place everyone has to go past to play the map, such as in CTF) and camping there, then it's a legitimate strategy and you can and should use any weapon. I do that myself sometimes. Cmping is perfectly fine, and anyone who complains should consider what would they do if they were in the actual military? Because if you try to run'n'gun against the IRA or the Taliban, you'll die. Quickly. And painfully.

On a side note - I recently played the original Halo, custom edition version, online on PC. I was on a classic map, Ice Fields, and was being driven in a Warthog as the gunner. The vehicle in question had a rocket turret that I was using. I killed someone on the opposing team, he instantly called me a noob and said that rockets don't take any skill to use. Bearing in mind I was being driven around erratically, I use a laptop without an actual mouse (I have a touchpad) so aiming is very iffy, and I was trying to shoot at a moving target, meaning that a degree of skill was involved in killing the guy. I killed him more with other weapons in the game and he got annoyed. My question to you people is, was he right? I get the feeling he was a whiny 14 year old who couldn't play Custom Edition on XBL so he decided to troll a few PC servers, and got pissed off because he was crap. Who agrees with me, or with him?

Kuchinawa212

Apr 23, 2009
I think you can get the Camping, Legit strat. On a shirt

Anyway OT: I think camping is perfectly fine with every none one hit kill weapon. Then you become just a little tooo powerful

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
It all depends on what mission you're supposed to do. Like taking/defending flag missions, camping somewhere not remotely close to where you're supposed to be is rather stupid, even if you can get a kill or two by doing so. Mostly you can do wonders without camping even as a sniper, but you have to play the game well. I've killed 2 persons both with sub machine guns in close combat once... takes some fast aiming and shooting, but it is possible, so using the sniper as an excuse to camp just doesn't cut it. I would say there's a difference between camping and defending, so it's up to each and everyone to decide where the line is. It's not camping if you're somewhere useful where you're supposed to be... I mean, where else are you supposed to be?

MetallicaRulez0

Aug 27, 2008
If we're talking about MW2, camping is never acceptable unless you are literally the last person alive on your team in SnD. I don't care if you're sniping or not, quick scopes are too easy for camping to be necessary.

zacaron

Apr 7, 2008
two or three quick snipes then its off to the next potential sniping spot/machine gun spot for me unless the other players are really thick in which case I just stick with one spot until I can call in air support

SantoUno

Aug 13, 2009
Trivun said:
I think people who spawn camp are as bad as cheaters. Campers who use aimbots are cheaters simply because of the bot. But otherwise? If you mean finding a good position (such as somewhere with a clear view of the one place everyone has to go past to play the map, such as in CTF) and camping there, then it's a legitimate strategy and you can and should use any weapon. I do that myself sometimes. Cmping is perfectly fine, and anyone who complains should consider what would they do if they were in the actual military? Because if you try to run'n'gun against the IRA or the Taliban, you'll die. Quickly. And painfully.

On a side note - I recently played the original Halo, custom edition version, online on PC. I was on a classic map, Ice Fields, and was being driven in a Warthog as the gunner. The vehicle in question had a rocket turret that I was using. I killed someone on the opposing team, he instantly called me a noob and said that rockets don't take any skill to use. Bearing in mind I was being driven around erratically, I use a laptop without an actual mouse (I have a touchpad) so aiming is very iffy, and I was trying to shoot at a moving target, meaning that a degree of skill was involved in killing the guy. I killed him more with other weapons in the game and he got annoyed. My question to you people is, was he right? I get the feeling he was a whiny 14 year old who couldn't play Custom Edition on XBL so he decided to troll a few PC servers, and got pissed off because he was crap. Who agrees with me, or with him?
He's crap, he's an idiot.

OT: Sometimes I don't know what camping is. Why? Because people use it in so many different ways. Like in CoD4 people used it to describe people who always sat in one spot that most people would easily pass by and simply killed anyone who walked by. Now there is nothing wrong with that, anyone can do it. I don't simply because I can't stand it, I can't wait for the idiot to come to me, I must out there running and gunning and actually working for my kills rather than have them coming to me.

Besides just remember, no matter how much campers dominate the game, their score only depends on how many people fall into their trap, obviously the one who is going to get the most kills is the player who actually goes out and gets his kills, so don't fret, campers eventually learn their lesson, theiir tactics won't get them anywhere.

Enigmers

Dec 14, 2008
My perspective.

If I'm camping, it means I'm in the same fucking spot. Seriously, how predictable is that. If you want me to stop camping, you know where I am, you have bullets, fucking do something. Stop whining.

Vuzzmop

Nov 25, 2008
I hate the treatment camping gets from players. It's a strategy just like any other; it makes it harder for the enemy to kill you, and easier for you to protect your assets. It seems to me that for the most part, people who complain do it because their upset about losing.