Poll: Dubbed or Subbed?

tzimize

Mar 1, 2010
99% of the time, subbed.

One reason is that I cant STAND looking at the lips of characters and it doesnt match the voices (in real movies, not drawn). Another is that I feel it adds a fat layer of realism. I think I'd faint if I had to watch Crouching tiger, hidden dragon in english. Or norwegian for that matter EEEEEEWWWWWWW!

Regarding anime I feel japanese VA are usually better, the industry is bigger and more serious over there so they sound better. Also it has to be VERY well translated. Japanese and english is very different, not only in the sound but also culturally. So a lot of plots can sound just ludicrous when translated to english (and spoken aloud :p). It simply sounds better in the original language.

Scabadus

Wrote Some Words
Jul 16, 2009
Prefer dubbed, though I'll normally stick on subs too because I watch movies while playing games and adjust the volume so that gunshots don't blow my speakers off meaning speach is a little quiet.

That and, bluntly, the Japanese accent annoys me. Sorry Japanese people but it's true.

Jonluw

May 23, 2010
tzimize said:
99% of the time, subbed.

One reason is that I cant STAND looking at the lips of characters and it doesnt match the voices (in real movies, not drawn). Another is that I feel it adds a fat layer of realism. I think I'd faint if I had to watch Crouching tiger, hidden dragon in english. Or norwegian for that matter EEEEEEWWWWWWW!
To be fair, live action movies being dubbed is pretty rare. Though I did hear the Germans apparently dubbed star wars back in the day.

I'm not quite sure if the English/American would dub live action movies...
I imagine they might though, since it seems English-speaking people just have this inherent fear of subtitles.

I don't really think anyone who doesn't have English as their native language actually prefer dubs.

legopelle

Nov 11, 2010
Jonluw said:
tzimize said:
99% of the time, subbed.

To be fair, live action movies being dubbed is pretty rare. Though I did hear the Germans apparently dubbed star wars back in the day.

I imagine they might though, since it seems English-speaking people just have this inherent fear of subtitles.

I don't really think anyone who doesn't have English as their native language actually prefer dubs.
Germans, as well as French and Italians, often dub everything. On the upside, they're really good at it. I remember seeing The Last Samurai in German, and couldn't tell it was a different voice actor.

Antari

Music Slave
Nov 4, 2009
It really depends on the movie. IF they get good translators the dubbed can sometimes be quite well done. In other situations the subs are the only way to go because someone screaming in japanese just makes it sound more vital and important.

Jonluw

May 23, 2010
legopelle said:
Jonluw said:
tzimize said:
99% of the time, subbed.

Germans, as well as French and Italians, often dub everything. On the upside, they're really good at it. I remember seeing The Last Samurai in German, and couldn't tell it was a different voice actor.
I think it's just disturbing to watch. It's like seeing a ventriloquist who deliberately moves the doll's mouth in uncorresponding patterns to what he is saying.

SckizoBoy

Ineptly Chaotic
Legacy
Jan 6, 2011
A Hermit's Cave
Jonluw said:
I think it's just disturbing to watch. It's like seeing a ventriloquist who deliberately moves the doll's mouth in uncorresponding patterns to what he is saying.
*hrk* I remember watching the English dub of Stalingrad... man it was god-awful (they put on German accents as well).

Yosato

Apr 5, 2010
Like many people here it really depends on the anime for me :S Most Funimation dubs (FMA, DBZ etc.) are outstanding and shows like Death Note and Bebop have even better ones. Some just don't do it for me though - the dub in Bleach for example feels really forced and awkward, despite how much I like Johnny Yong Bosch

not_you

Don't ask, or you won't know
Mar 16, 2011
I much prefer Dubbed.... mainly since if I wanted to spend half an hour to an hour reading, I'd buy a book....

And even then, if I bought a book the world would end...

Puzzlenaut

Mar 11, 2011
I find it very easy to read subs whilst concentrating on the action, so for me there is no contest -- subs all the way, rather than dubs which are ALWAYS a load of shite.

Spinyking

Dec 8, 2010
I'll normally watch dubbed the first time i start watching a new anime, but normally, since i often watch them on youtube some dub episodes are missing and ill have to watch them subbed. If the subs are any good i sometimes switch, or if a particular actor annoys me. I read really quickly so i sometimes prefer the subs, helps me remember names better.

Sometimes an english voice actor just kills my ears, e.g. Haruhi Suzumiya's english v.a. (im sorry, i know she's pretty popular) or just doesn't work for me, like Johnny Yong Bosch as Ichigo in bleach. Although he was damn good in Code geass.

Nihilism_Is_Bliss

Oct 27, 2009
Yosato said:
Like many people here it really depends on the anime for me :S Most Funimation dubs (FMA, DBZ etc.) are outstanding and shows like Death Note and Bebop have even better ones. Some just don't do it for me though - the dub in Bleach for example feels really forced and awkward, despite how much I like Johnny Yong Bosch
people actually like him?
I can't STAND him.

ReservoirAngel

Nov 6, 2010
Oh my god definitely subbed. I don't know what it is but pretty much every English dub of everything I've ever seen in a foreign language sounded horrible and forced.

SckizoBoy

Ineptly Chaotic
Legacy
Jan 6, 2011
A Hermit's Cave
ReservoirAngel said:
Oh my god definitely subbed. I don't know what it is but pretty much every English dub of everything I've ever seen in a foreign language sounded horrible and forced.
It's the American isn't it? And even if it isn't, the 'American' definite contributes to the dislike, dunnit?

No disrespect to Americans, it's just the English perception of a 'neutral' accent.

Flamezdudes

Aug 27, 2009
I don't really mind. If the dubbed hasn't got annoying voices, i'l watch it dubbed. If not, then subbed and if its only subbed then i'm fine with that.

Kaymish

The Morally Bankrupt Weasel
Sep 10, 2008
i am not an anime fan but it is interesting as a diversion so im going to watch the dubbed version thank you very much

Joshimodo

Sep 13, 2008
Dubbed.

Possibility of poorly voice-acted dub >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Absolutely guaranteed requirement of watching only the bottom 1/8th of the screen.

UberNoodle

Apr 6, 2010
AyreonMaiden said:
UberNoodle said:
It's not about 'subbed vs dubbed'. It's about watching the film or anime in as close a state as it was conceived by its creators. Regardless of the perceived 'quality' of any voice track, the only factor to take into account is that simple factor. And the idea that the dubs remove 'annoying voices', is like saying that dubs can remove annoying languages, culture or creative strokes. Go for it, if that's how you feel, but in the end, the original voices is how the film or show was conceived by its creators, and they are cultural reflections. That's how it should be watched. I'm just waiting for customised versions of the Mona Lisa.
Show me someone who denies that Fullmetal Alchemist, Trigun, Cowboy Bebop, Samurai Champloo or Baccano! were at least 50% inspired by Western sensibilities and I'll show you a big fat fuckin' weeb. I also wanna know how many Japanese characters and locales are in Black Lagoon compared to other nationalities.

But anyway, the point is that I really don't think anyone can speak for the author's intent and I think fans take too seriously the "cultural reflection" crap. I say watch what you enjoy because I'm sure anime studios appreciate ALL their fans, no matter what language they experience their work in. Not everyone wants to create "cultural statements" or "cultural reflections" about their homelands. Sometimes all they want is to tell a story about boys, girls, good and evil, or maybe about nothing at all.

I mean, ask the greatest Hispanic novelist, Gabriel Garcia Marquez, how he felt about the English version of his Nobel-prize winning magnum opus "Cien años de soledad": http://www.amazon.com/dp/0811216659, under "Product Description."

I somehow get the feeling that most of the really awesome artists don't really give a shit at all about translations so long as the original intent isn't butchered outright.
First paragraph - so what? Does that mean they are 'supposed to be' in English then? Well, the Matrix should be in Chinese, or Japanese then.

Second Paragraph - sure, we can't speak for the author, but its logical and fair to assume that voices they chose, and probably spent some time and energy choosing and auditioning for, are the ones they wanted. And you have taken what I said about cultural far too literally. There is cultural reflection in every single thing produced by a culture, even if they are 'just telling a story'. You read far too much into that statement.

Third paragraph - so what? Good for him. As you already stated, you can't speak for the author, and that comment is being used for promotion. If he'd said he was unhappy, it wouldn't be good. And I'm pretty sure that there is much that is no longer present in the story now that it is no longer in his voice and in his language.

In the end, as you said, we should watch what we enjoy, and that's what I do. I don't enjoy third party dubs. I love to listen to foreign languages. I prefer to experience a product in its original form or as close to it as possible. If you don't, then that's you and your value system. This thread is, after all, asking for our personal opinions.

I don't want to hear the voices of people who were not involved in the original and have been called upon perhaps years later to overdub. For me, it's not about what's a better or more 'location suitable' track, because for me, what's better is exactly what the artists did, and nothing more or less. If some dubber does the performance of the century, well that's great. I sure hope he or she can do that again on some original project.

For me, good, bad, warts and all, and original voices, score, music, etc, is exactly the total of what I want to experience, and it is the only reason I sought to experience it in the first place.

floppylobster

Oct 22, 2008
The weirdest dubbing I ever saw was when they dubbed over Totoro's yawns with bear growls in the latest dubbing of My Neighbor Totoro. It was so unnecessary.