Poll: Dubstep, how do YOU feel about it?

Rednog

Nov 3, 2008
I don't get what people see in it, so I went with "The music kids listen to these days...". I know older generations have always complained about the newer generation listening to that "noise" but dubstep is quite literally that. It's a bunch of noises mashed together in patterns.

Samwise137

J. Jonah Jameson
Aug 3, 2010
If I wanted to hear a bugs bunny cartoon copulating with early 90's AOL, I'd fire up my old dial-up modem and Boomerang Network. BUT: I am a fan of music in general and anything that gets people listening to music of any variety is cool by me. As I often do, I'll paraphrase the band Chumbawamba: just because I don't listen to dubstep, doesn't mean you shouldn't.

Darren716

Jul 7, 2011
Personally I hate any music that uses computer effects, it just sounds very unnatural to me and I feel it takes much less effort than actually learning how to sing or play an instrument. I will give dubstep one thing however, I would rather listen to it than anything that is autotuned.

EscapeGoat_v1legacy

Aug 20, 2008
Definitely not a fan. My tastes on music outside my musical comfort zone tend to veer towards a preference of 50's and 60's rock-and-roll, blues and classical, and electronic music as a whole is really quite an alien genre to me. I often find it very difficult to engage with the music, and as such find it hard to enjoy, and non more so than dubstep.

As a rule, I avoid dubstep. I've listened to plenty of it - it's all but unavoidable in clubs nowadays, and being involved in the Alternative Music societies at university means I do hear it fairly often, but I've yet to lose myself in it and really enjoy it.

That said, there is one exception. Ephixa's dubstep remixes of a set of Legend of Zelda songs sound brilliant to me, and I thoroughly enjoy them, especially the couple of remixes with NoneLikeJoshua's rap over it.

Dfskelleton

Apr 6, 2010
I think of Dubstep in the same way I think of Rap: it can be alright when mixed in with other things, but on it's own it sounds flat out awful.
There may be a song or two that I'll like, but other than that, it usually just hurts my brain.

Ryujisama

Sep 3, 2010
Dubstep equates to me the sound your VCR used to make when it was about to eat up your favorite tape. It's electronic garbage, and very generic electronic garbage at that. I have never heard a dubstep song I've liked, and those I can even have the stomach for sound just like the rest...

Kurt Cristal

Mar 31, 2010
Vault101 said:
Launcelot111 said:
I don't like it. The wub wub is obnoxious and, at this point, painfully predictable, and so few artists build up to the wub wub moment in the first place. Even songs that go light on the wubs annoy me.

I'm not big on most electronic music because most people seem to write music as extended beats rather than songs, but dubstep in particular is grating.
another annoying this is when they take a sample...and its just kind of there, I doesnt feel like they work it in..its just "beat/hook" "singing" "beat/hook" "singing"...I don't know.

mabye I'm just full of crap
That song is alright but fits more into the Electro category. A bit of a pet peeve of mine is that so many people confuse the two. Although, they do intertwine here and there.

Kurt Cristal

Mar 31, 2010
SmashLovesTitanQuest said:
You mean the real dubstep?

No, of course you don't. You mean that WUBWUBWWUBWUWBUWDASOHUDFVUFIFV shit that is just 20 year old Drum and Bass slowed down by 100% with all the creativity removed.

Yeah, it sucks.
When you say "real" dubstep, are you talking about the old-school stuff like Caspa? Because well, it was good, but sometimes it was pretty damn boring too.

Ljs1121

Mar 17, 2011
Meh. I don't hate it, but I don't love it either. Quite a few of my friends are into it, so I do listen on occasion, but nothing has jumped out to change my mind yet.

I do like DjEphixa's Zelda remixes, though.

II2

Mar 13, 2010
I'm not sure what people would classify this as, but it's good:

Psystep? Dubpsy? Chillbient? Dumb genres names...

It's got enough wub and drums to be grouped, but is acutally great music on it's own merit, without needing to be labelled.

I don't mind straight dubstep, but it's kinda a reductive genre... it's overblown minimalism serves its sound but it doesn't leave much room for growth in iterations, as is evident in it's most popular and mainstream avenues.

I'm not sure if there's a way to say this without sounding like a wanker, but I think dubstep has basically run it's course from the UK underground to viral internet popularity to Californian megastardom, refining the formula along the way. At this point it seems like the way forward is to hybridize aspects with other genres to synthesize something new. Then you'll have post-dubstep. /wank-talk

Kurt Cristal

Mar 31, 2010
DigitalSushi said:
There's only so much WHOOOOOO WHOOOOO WAAOHOHHHH I can handle, I was at a dubstep night at Fabric and I couldn't tell which songs were playing because all dubstep tracks are made in the same way;

30 seconds of metronome for the DJ to mix one track into the next
WHOOOHHHOOHWHWWHOWWOOHHOOOOOOO for 7 minutes
Rounding off with 30 seconds of Metronome for mixing purposes.

still, its better than Flo Rida.
I like Flux Pavillion, but some of their songs feel a bit too long, like they use to loop a couple too many times. They're like... the Daft Punk of dubstep I guess. Great tracks but also kind of redundant.

Also, I now wanna hear a dubstep remix of Flo Rida. Way to go.

Kurt Cristal

Mar 31, 2010
neversleep said:
I like it. Back when I was in highschool I was a typical I wannabe alternative kid. I listened to blink 182, sum 41 and linkinpark.(luckily my dad taught me the classics at the same time so I can claim to have great taste now without turning red). I liked alot of music but really didn't like hiphop and RnB (though i've learned to appreciate some of it now). However RnB and hiphop were so mainstream at the time, that I disliked almost all party music and music on the radio. Mostly because the music didn't pack punch.

Because the music didn't really pack a punch, the hip hop fans steered clear of everything that sounded a bit more like it did. Now Dubstep seems to sort of bring the two sounds together. If this is what's mainstream now, it means some harder rock can be appreciated more because Dubstep is lessening the gap.
I gotta say, of all my high school bands, I still listen to Linkin Park. Yeah, their new stuff is wicked different and kind of mellow, but after my ex dragged me to see them live, I found their new stuff far more interesting when I saw them performing it.

Kurt Cristal

Mar 31, 2010
Rawne1980 said:
My eldest daughter loves dubstep.

Although it made me show my age.

She was listening to it the other day and I shouted up for her to stop playing the same song it was annoying and she said she was on the third album.

Personally I think it sounds shit.
I get this all the time with any electronic music I play when someone else is unfamiliar with it. I'll be playing a DJ set, someone will ask me when the next song comes on, and then I depressingly reply that it's on track 6 already.

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
I hate it, to me it is just noise, nothing more.

"It sounds like transformers having sex" -- Some guy