Poll: Dubstep. Music or not music?

Bifford

Sep 30, 2009
It's music. If a chimpanzee - or YOU - with a keyboard cannot make a dubstep track that people are willing to buy and dance to, then dubstep must indeed be music.

someonehairy-ish

Mar 15, 2009
A friend of mine is something of a musical prodigy. He made a bass arrangement to Skrillex's Scary Monsters and Nice Sprites - he took every note from the song and arranged it so that he can play the whole thing with 8 finger tapping and slap technique, and I swear to God it sounds fucking incredible. The way the whole thing builds and changes is gorgeous.

And the thing is, even though the instrument makes the song easier to appreciate because you can see the complexity in the playing of the song, and because an instrument will always be able to produce a better tone than a computer, the song is still very much the same as what Skrillex wrote. So Skrillex deserves all of the props as a composer.

If dubstep were random noise, it would sound shite whether it were arranged electronically, or on an actual instrument. But it doesn't. So there.

Gmans uncle

Oct 17, 2011
Dubstep is not only music, but it's one of my favorite generas of music.

I can understand not liking it, but going as far as to say that it's not even worthy of being called music is ludicrous, it's a high-energy, high-bass, variant on the same principles of sampling and producing that artists have been using since the early days of electronic music.
It's hard to explain really, it may sound like a bunch of jumbled up samples and noise to the untrained ear, but once you acquire an ear for the rhythm and understand the intricacies of making it, I don't think anyone could argue that it's not music.

Just listen to This and tell me that it's not music...

s0p0g

Aug 24, 2009
GoaThief said:
snip!
It'd be more interesting to hear if people regard the following as music;

reminds me of an untuned radio, and later stormy winds.
is the static noise of an untuned radio music? not in my opinion.
can i elaborate this adequately? no, i lack the music-vocabulary for that, sorry about that :(

i mean, i can somehow understand why some say 2step garage ain't music, or some other electronic music-genres (especially the electronic genres), but what you posted there is... uuuh... DEFINITELY not music?

to come to a conclusion there (again, as a layman regarding music) i think about whether i can imagine people dance to it or not; dubstep? yep; rap? yep (ok one might have to define "dance" then :p ); pretty much any kind of metal (again, dancing up to debate :p )? yep;
the stuff you posted? no
could it still convey some sort of emotion? as Silent Hill background sound, sure (i dunno, but it sounds pretty Silent Hill...ish to me ^^ )

someonehairy-ish

Mar 15, 2009
GoaThief said:
I think it's because nustep (dislike the term brostep, it's not exactly accurate) has largely got big thanks to the internet and the USA's re-embracing of electronic music in general.

Of course it's music, you may not like it -I'm not a big fan of nustep- but it's certainly not anything else but music. It'd be more interesting to hear if people regard the following as music;

I quite like it. Bits of it sound like satan's own drumkit, where the cymbals are made from iron forged from blackened souls, and the skins are literal skins. Other bits do sound like someone held up a microphone to the wind and distorted the result a lot, but meh, still more interesting to listen to than nickelback.

Anyway, there's definite organisation in the sound, and intent to provoke an emotional response. You can count a beat to it in places (4/4, then it moves into something else). So yeah, it's music.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Trilligan said:
You, sir, have no taste. That song was beautiful.
If awesome tastes include finding rodents singing over cheap-sounding fake instruments to be beautiful, I'll stick to the myriad talents of Freddie Mercury and wallow in my status as a philistine.

GoaThief

Reinventing the Spiel
Feb 2, 2012
Headdrivehardscrew said:
Off-topic a bit but it has to be said I do love a bit of Autechre.

I've seen some of their project files, crazy automation going on in a few too.

devotedsniper

Dec 28, 2010
I used to listen to nothing but rock and metal but then i got into trance, dubstep, etc., some of dubstep can be terrible but i like alot of it.

...Also when you see a claptrap dance to it, it just makes dubstep better.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Capitano Segnaposto said:
So this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uAFjgpuWREM

You compare to a Child's Painting?
I don't know, it sorta sounds like "Baby's First Composition."

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Trilligan said:
Zachary Amaranth said:
Trilligan said:
You, sir, have no taste. That song was beautiful.
If awesome tastes include finding rodents singing over cheap-sounding fake instruments to be beautiful, I'll stick to the myriad talents of Freddie Mercury and wallow in my status as a philistine.
Everybody loves Freddie Mercury. Even tasteless philistines, apparently.
The first part is completely false.

AngryMongoose

Elite Member
Jan 18, 2010
Strangely, the less it sounds like music, the more I like dubstep. The simple stuff just sounds like any pop since the millennium; the good stuff abandons any sense and just blasts you with awesome sound.

I believe in the dubstep scene this refereed to as being "Heavy" or possibly "Dirty"?

:D

See, it's "Heavy" Dubstep, because it uses sound clips of the character known as "Heavy" from the popular series of competitive multiplayer First Person Shooter games, but also refers to a term used in- oh never mind...

natster43

Jul 10, 2009
Yes it is music. Whether or not it is good music is an entirely different thing all together.