Poll: Favorite Foreign Language

inFAMOUSCowZ

Jul 12, 2010
I gotta say russian. I have no reason why, I just love it. I'll probably learn it sometime. It just always sounds angry or sad. And after playing Metro 2033 ( which I need to buy again my copy broke somehow) I love it even more.

Buzz Killington_v1legacy

Likes Good Stories About Bridges
Aug 8, 2009
Klumpfot said:
Secondly, there are literally millions of languages in the world
Not quite. At last count [http://www.ethnologue.com/ethno_docs/distribution.asp?by=area] of the world's living languages, it's somewhere around 6,900. That's still quite a lot, though.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Hmmm, hard to say. I think both Irish/Gaelic and Scottish sound kind of cool and have some really nice accents when a native speaker switches to english.

That said, I think it's more a matter of the speaker than the languages themselves, and region probably plays a big role in it as well. I've run into a LOT of people with a LOT of differant accents over the years, and I'd I've heard pretty much any major language spoken that you can think of. I don't think any language is inherantly pretty sounding all on it's own.

But then again, as I said a lot of this has to do with region and other things. It's sort of like how you take an english speaker from a really poor area using a lot of slang or a sub-dialect like ebonics, and even if your a native speaker it can really hurt your ears or make you go "huh, what was that guy saying?". It's like the differance between thinking a southern drawl is cool/sexy, and then hearing someone staggering around an Alabama trailer park.

Most languages have a lot of regional accents and sub-dialects (even if most people can understand them). My ear for some languages is better than others, but there can be a substantial differance in say european/english accents based on where in the UK someone is from. Also when I'm talking about lower class dialects with heavy slang attached you see the equivilent over there in things like the "Chav" subculture, or heck even the stereotypical "hooligans" that they imitate for the voices of say Warhammer 40k orks. :)

Klumpfot

Dec 30, 2009
Buzz Killington said:
Klumpfot said:
Secondly, there are literally millions of languages in the world
Not quite. At last count [http://www.ethnologue.com/ethno_docs/distribution.asp?by=area] of the world's living languages, it's somewhere around 6,900. That's still quite a lot, though.
You are absolutely right. I just parroted something I heard on the radio a few weeks ago. A comment not by a linguist, but a movie critic.

I'm terribly sorry, and I shall edit my original post at once.

Snoody

Nov 23, 2009
Klump, you are a rare breed. Not willing only to admit your mistakes, but CORRECT them! You're obviously not from the United States.

HerrBobo

Jun 3, 2008
Snoody said:
What is your favorite foreign language, personally, mine is between German and Russian, because it always sounds like you're swearing. Please comment on why.
Latin, its the only foregin language I can use well(ish).

RemytheNinja

Jan 16, 2011
I like German, French and Japanese
The opening to Castlevania:Rondo of Blood is so awesome because its in German

infohippie

Oct 1, 2009
I chose both German and Russian because I love the sounds of these languages, although Japanese isn't too far behind. I've never liked languages such as Italian, Spanish or Portuguese, for some reason.

MrNickster

Apr 23, 2010
Spanish, since everything sounds seductive when you say it in the right tone of voice, even if you're not saying anything romantic.

Blank Kold

Aug 24, 2010
Everyone who says Russian is wrong. Most people that speak it do so with a horribly thick Belorussian accent, the conjugating is bullshit, and I have to switch accents between speaking that and English. My grammar blows!

imperialreign

Mar 23, 2010
Russian - it's a very poetic and fluid sounding language, and easily as flexible as english. At least their grammar rules make more sense :p

. . . êðîìå òîãî, î÷åíü õîðîøî ïîíèìàþ ðóññêèé ÿçûê . . . íî, ÿ ïèøó è ÷èòàþ ëó÷øå ÷åì ÿ ãîâîðþ.

LandoCristo

Apr 2, 2010
Japanese, because it just sounds nicer to listen to than some of the other languages you hear living in SE Asia (I'm looking at you, Korean and Chinese).

drisky

Mar 16, 2009
believer258 said:
Out of those, I'd have to say Japanese would be the one I'd most likely try to learn first, just so I could understand what the hell they were actually saying in some of those anime intro and outré songs.
Honestly learning Japanese would ruin Japanese music for me, especially j-pop, I'd rather be blissfully unaware of how lyrically stupid most of those songs are.

OT: Italian and Spanish, there very similar but beautiful languages.