Poll: Favourite Melee weapon

Whit

Jan 25, 2010
direkiller said:
Shadowstar38 said:
The sword. Its the only weapon on that list that doesnt have some kind of natural drawback. Plus theres a bunch of different types and syles to choose from.
swords have very big drawbacks(its why they were some of the least used on the battlefield in reality)
Range was king in fights(pikes,spears,& pollaxes)

I agree with you that swords have their drawbacks (personally I'm more of an axe type), but you must remember that there were actually types of swords designed specifically do overcome long weapons, for example, the Zweihänder, a MASSIVE German sword capable of doing two things most swords couldn't, it was long enough to use as a spear substitute during an enemy cavalry charge, and - more importantly for us - lop the tips off of spears/pikes/halberds before closing on enemy infantry.

Raesvelg

Oct 22, 2008

The bar mace. When you absolutely have to crush every bone in your opponent's body... accept no substitutes.

an874

Jul 17, 2009
I picked sword, but what I meant was lightsaber. Come on, somebody make one! Please!!!!

direkiller

Dec 4, 2008
Whit said:
direkiller said:
Shadowstar38 said:
The sword. Its the only weapon on that list that doesnt have some kind of natural drawback. Plus theres a bunch of different types and syles to choose from.
swords have very big drawbacks(its why they were some of the least used on the battlefield in reality)

I agree with you that swords have their drawbacks (personally I'm more of an axe type), but you must remember that there were actually types of swords designed specifically do overcome long weapons, for example, the Zweihänder, a MASSIVE German sword capable of doing two things most swords couldn't, it was long enough to use as a spear substitute during an enemy cavalry charge, and - more importantly for us - lop the tips off of spears/pikes/halberds before closing on enemy infantry.
Any sword that last only 50 years in the Renaissance was not practical on the battlefield. Fifty years is incredibly short for a weapons practical life in those days(Long sword had a 350year run and pikes had about a 2000 year run comparably). So I stand by what I said.

Half Metal Jacket

Jul 6, 2012
direkiller said:
Whit said:
direkiller said:
Shadowstar38 said:

Any sword that last only 50 years in the Renaissance was not practical on the battlefield. Fifty years is incredibly short for a weapons practical life in those days(Long sword had a 350year run and pikes had about a 2000 year run comparably). So I stand by what I said.
The zweihander came in too late. I don't think many weapons remained effective for long if firearms come into existance. If it existed earlier, it might have lasted as long as a hand and a half, though not as popular. Never liked the idea of pike and shot formations, thus I like sword and bucklers, along with zweihander.

That said, zweihanders are my favourite melee weapons, trailed by an assortment of polearms.
[http://tinypic.com?ref=a1mj2r]
Katanas are overrated to me, I immensely prefer this beauty. If you call this heavy, cumbersome and unwieldy, you have to realise that mostly huge elite fighting men used this blade.

But I don't own weapons, so I settle with my karate.

Vicarious Reality

Jul 10, 2011
I mostly like short daggers or swords, but recently i have found an appreciation for the mace

This is a nice dagger from scorpion knives in sheffield, pity that that i had to round the handle myself

Toaster Hunter

Jun 10, 2009
An axe. It is the fusion of a mace and a sword. If an opponent is unarmored, something is going to be a bloody mess. If the opponent is armored, bones can still be broken. In my opinion, perfect

antidonkey

Dec 10, 2009
I've always been an axe person. It seems I'm a sucker for crude but effective mentality. Strangely, S&W has a utility hatchet that I want. Not sure why I haven't bought it yet.

Shadowsetzer

Jul 15, 2010
In fiction - probably staves or scythes. There's just something about using such a simple weapon to kick so much ass. :p

In real life, I'd say a knife. Dangerous enough to be useful in a fight if needed, common enough that you probably won't get many funny looks as long as you're not playing with it.