Poll: Game features you don't care for

conmag9

Aug 4, 2008
Multiplayer, hands down. Especially in games that aren't built around them as the primary focus and ESPECIALLY the ones that are clearly tacked on and nobody wants. It doesn't make your game better, it just steals funds away.

Kotaro

Desdinova's Successor
Feb 3, 2009
Crafting systems. They sound cool, and some games have done them well, but most of the time they just make sure that I never want to sell anything so I end up carrying around a bajillion random crafting components long after the only things they can be used to make have stopped being useful to me.
Sometimes I can make outdated things with components and sell the crafted items at a slight profit, and that can work well. But the worst use of a crafting system that I can think of off the top of my head? Dust: An Elysian Tail.
Otherwise, it's a spectacular game, but to craft anything, you need both a buttload of components and a blueprint for the item. Almost every component and about 80% of the blueprints are random enemy drops, which means lots of grinding if you need a particular component (or you can spend a ton of money on a couple of it at the shop, and then wait for it to restock so you can buy more of it). Most of the time, what you can craft isn't actually any better than what you already have or can buy. To craft things, you need to trek all the way to the blacksmith (unless you bothered to find the item that lets you contact her from anywhere). And while actually crafting the thing costs far less than just buying the weapon/armor/whatever from the shop, if you try to sell your crafted doohickey, you'll end up breaking even (which actually means you're losing money because you're also down the crafting materials). "So just don't craft anything if it's not explicitly better than what you have!" I hear you say. And you'd be right. Except unused blueprints continue to sit there, mixed in with your real items, just taking up space and cluttering up my inventory. And you can't toss blueprints out, even if they're for an item from the very beginning of the game and you're right before the final boss. This last part is probably just a nitpick, but it seriously bugs me; I like to keep my inventory screens clean, thanks.
My favorite crafting system on the other hand, is in the Etrian Odyssey series, because it's not really a crafting system. Instead, enemies drop random crap that you can sell to the shop, and if you sell enough of the right kinds of items, the shop will add new stock. This actually makes more sense to me than the usual crafting system, because instead of "Bring me this stuff and for a fee, I'll make something out of them," it's "Bring me stuff, and if I can use it to make something cool, I'll sell that to you!"

EDIT: Oh no, wait, Dust's crafting system is tied with the cooking menu in Muramasa: The Demon Blade for worst. In Muramasa, you find a bunch of cooking ingredients, and you can make healing items out of them. But first you have to buy the cookbook to learn the recipe. Why can't I just find the healing items already cooked and ready to use? All that this does is add an unnecessary step to things.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
K12 said:
I can't think of any game that had both single player and multi-player were one didn't slightly detract from the other. All my favourite multiplayer games are only multiplayer games.
Don't know if it counts but Half-Life + Counter Strike was an awesome combo of single player and multiplayer.

Anthony Corrigan

Jul 28, 2011
multiplayer, stop wrecking my single player games by sticking multiplayer into it, perfect example of this (and the first I can think of) is the way ultima 9 was destroyed by EA diverting resources to Ultima Online but its happened in so many games since, look at mass effect 3, would the ending have been better if the resources wasted on multiplayer were put where they belonged, into the single player story, Fear 3 being co-op added nothing to me sitting by myself on the couch playing a game. I cant think of any games off the top of my head which have benefited from having a tacked on multiplayer. Maybe COD but in reality that's multiplayer with a tacked on single player

thejackyl

Apr 16, 2008
Achievements: And for one single reason. My friend is terrible at video games, and has opposing tastes in games to me. He'll buy games with easy achievements just to boost his gamer score. And if he can't beat the game on the Hardest difficulty he'll try to get me to do it.

I'm not much better at games, but I can beat most on Normal. And when I'm playing a game I don't like, I'm not going to want to play sections I hate over and over and over gain. I'll come over we'll hang out, and he'll pop the game in, play for a bit. Fail a LOT and and he'll hand me the controller and tell me to play.

*****, I DON'T WANT TO PLAY YOUR GAME. He wants me to beat Duke Nukem Forever for him (strike one), on Insane (Strike 2), on console (Strike 3), he also wants me to get all the EBooks on Deus Ex: Human Revolution. He also wants me to beat Turok and Prey for him. I have no interest in them... stop trying to make me play them.

K12

Dec 28, 2012
Johnny Novgorod said:
K12 said:
I can't think of any game that had both single player and multi-player were one didn't slightly detract from the other. All my favourite multiplayer games are only multiplayer games.
Don't know if it counts but Half-Life + Counter Strike was an awesome combo of single player and multiplayer.
I think that's the way these things should be done (and no I wouldn't count this as being what I meant because they are separate titles and counter strike was a mod rather than a feature)

Separate games built off of each other (of one from the other) giving the space to fiddle about with weapons and maps etc. so the two don't unbalance each other.

Plus it gives you the option to only get one and not give a damn about the other.

lunavixen

Jan 2, 2012
Multiplayer or co op, especially when it is shoehorned in and detracts from the Single player campaign (yes, i'm looking at you Dead Space 3), also, QTEs that aren't an integral part of the game (you know, the random ones that pop up out of nowhere). That being said, I do enjoy games that were designed from the outset to be multiplayer, like TF2, the Unreal games (not a CoD person) etc., and I did enjoy Heavy Rain

Marik Bentusi

Aug 20, 2010
Length
isn't necessarily important when the final product has a definite arc and planning behind it that suits its length. Like how Portal was kinda short, but it didn't feel like cut short out of necessity.

Co-op
I never care for, simply too much coordination inside and outside the game for very little gain IMO.

Multiplayer
I never really gave a crap about, tho once in a blue moon I'll pick up a title in that line - but I could really do without.

Replayability
is nice to have, but not a necessity by any means. I do like games like Bioshock where replaying a game can add to your overall experience and immersion tho.

New Game +
isn't a feature I specifically look for, but it's nice to have if you stumble across a neat superpower like 3 levels before the end boss and you don't want to replay those chapters to death just for that neat superpower.

Extra Content
Not sure what you mean by that, but if it's DLC I generally don't give a toss. Sometimes I'll pick up stuff when it's like 75%+ off on Steam, like the DXHR DLC or a few Just Cause 2 goodies, but generally nah. I'm kinda intrigued in Bioshock Infinite story DLC, but I'd personally prefer it if such things were included in a proper sequel or at least expansion pack.

Other
Graphics. I really do not give a toss about raw graphical fidelity. Aesthetics yes, both because it looks good and because they can actively contribute to level design and such, but I'm not impressed by a rock texture getting blurry a couple steps later this year than last year. Recently my old 9600GT broke and now I can have everything ultra & fluid on my GTX660, and I can still say I don't give a toss about anything but the framerate really.
Plus I much more admire "clever" engines that find tricks to impress with spectacle while being easy on the hardware rather than raw powerhouses that simply juggle moar polies and texture resolution sizes.

Roxor

Nov 4, 2010
Mid Boss said:
Multiplayer.

I don't like people.
I subscribe to the same school of thought as you do.

If you want to include multiplayer in your game, it shouldn't require making additional maps. Look at Doom or Duke Nukem 3D. Those games have levels which work just fine for either single-player, co-op, or deathmatch. Heck the Plutonium Pak extra episode for Duke 3D even adds what could be considered a variant of capture the flag in e4l10 using only the level design and existing Dukematch programming.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Marik Bentusi said:
Extra Content
Not sure what you mean by that, but if it's DLC I generally don't give a toss. Sometimes I'll pick up stuff when it's like 75%+ off on Steam, like the DXHR DLC or a few Just Cause 2 goodies, but generally nah. I'm kinda intrigued in Bioshock Infinite story DLC, but I'd personally prefer it if such things were included in a proper sequel or at least expansion pack.
I guess I meant unlockable challenges, modes, sub-scenarios, side-stories, mini-games, DLC, all that crap. Nice to have for an added boost but not something that weighs in that much in my opinion.

Angelblaze

Jun 17, 2010
I.
Hate.
Multiplayer.

Sure, when your winning usually everything is okay, but if you are losing its someone's fault - NO, the team is not just naturally getting out played someone just SUCKS DICK AND NEEDS TO DIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIE.

Despite what alot of people claim you won't find the worst of these children in Xbox 360 live. That's p2p and henceforth; very few dumbasses. The majority are on PC mmo gaming.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Retrograde said:
By game features I'm going to go specific and mention an element of gameplay that's big in modern games, shooters in particular.

Two Guns.

I damn near threw my toys out the pram when I started playing Bioshock Infinite and it became apparent I was only allowed two fucking guns, never even mind the lack of multiple ammo types.

The two most core elements of the gameplay behind the entire franchise, offered up to the gods of Me Too.

Honestly I had more fun playing through Doom again then I did with that game. The story was brilliant(well, pretty good), the gameplay was very mediocre.

Two Fucking Guns...
This completely went over my head. "Two guns" is a thing now?

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
Any of those feature can be great if the game is great. However I find that multiplayer is too often shoehorned into a title that doesn't need it. Usually (like in the case of most Sony games, hi God of War) its so they can have an online pass or (in the case of 360 games) pay extra to play online.
Oftentimes I think the resources spent on multiplayer would've been better used on a more robust single player portion of the game.

Gatx

Jul 7, 2011
Cover systems, especially in first person games. Being able to move behind things and crouch if necessary shouuld be enough of a cover system, why add in this extra, finicky system that may cause me to stick to a wall I don't want to.

Sight Unseen

The North Remembers
Nov 18, 2009
Out of the listed poll options, probably New Game+ or multiplayer (if it's tacked on to a game that should be primarily single player).

I just never really feel the urge to immediately replay a game that I've just finished even if they make it slightly harder. I have way too many games on my list to play so I usually quickly lose interest and move on after beating a game once. The most important part of most games to me is the story, so replaying the game often has diminishing returns since I know exactly how it'll play out.

If I want to play a multiplayer game, I'll usually just play a game that was made exclusively for multiplayer, like Dota 2 or TF2, so adding multiplayer modes usually doesn't impress me. The one notable exception was for Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood, whose multiplayer was a surprisingly refreshing and intriguing re-imagining of the game mechanics. But I quickly got tired of it now that it's been copy-pasted into Revelations and ACIII

Ascarus

Feb 5, 2010
wombat_of_war said:
multiplayer in mostly single player games and especially achievements,
definitely these two. i don't bother with multi-player for the most part and achievements are lazy ways of providing "content".

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Retrograde said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
Retrograde said:
By game features I'm going to go specific and mention an element of gameplay that's big in modern games, shooters in particular.

Two Guns.

I damn near threw my toys out the pram when I started playing Bioshock Infinite and it became apparent I was only allowed two fucking guns, never even mind the lack of multiple ammo types.

The two most core elements of the gameplay behind the entire franchise, offered up to the gods of Me Too.

Honestly I had more fun playing through Doom again then I did with that game. The story was brilliant(well, pretty good), the gameplay was very mediocre.

Two Fucking Guns...
This completely went over my head. "Two guns" is a thing now?
Only being allowed to carry two guns.

Assuming you don't play a lot of tooled up action games? It seems that in just about anything that has guns at it's core and isn't deliberately pulling some 'old school' schtick(see Painkiller), that you're limited to two guns. Gears lets you have 3 if memory serves, TR let you have 4, but for the most part, the days of sacrificing realism in the name of gameplay and letting players toddle about the place with an arsenal are long gone, and it seems these days that it's all about the primary weapon and the side arm, cod style.

Really wound me up in Bioshock though cause the series has a history of letting you roll with a huge collection of guns each with fire modes, but that game stripped that shit right out.
Yeah I get what you're saying now.
My first thoughts went something along these lines...