Poll: Gamers Over 30 Are ?Weird?

Frostbite3789

Jul 12, 2010
Kuroji said:
What nonsense.

You don't get too old for music, films, books or any other form of entertainment. Just shows the perpetuating belief that games are for kids.

Edit: Oh, they mean "those weird ones in the basement". That makes it just fine and dandy.
I thought something very similar to this. "Man, all those people 50 and over who still watch TV and movies are so weird, right?! Oh wait..."

RhombusHatesYou

Surreal Estate Agent
Mar 21, 2010
Between There and There.
Country
The Wide, Brown One.
Chibz said:
RhombusHatesYou said:
GFC killed a lot of jobs, wiped a lot of savings and did really unpleasant things to people with mortgages. Add in that a lot of places also had a rental property shortage (or at least affordable rental properties)... Hell yeah a lot of people over 25 had to move back in with their more financially secure parents.
What does GFC mean?
Global Financial Crisis.

Honestly, I don't think I know a single person over 25 who lives at home with their parent(s). Like me. I'm too awesome to move back home.
It was mostly people with young families who had to move back home due to the GFC. Heavily restricted income and reduced savings plus anklebiters makes rental problematic at best, near impossible in a rental property shortage.

Epona

Elite Member
Jun 24, 2011
Country
United States
I'm almost 40 and I still play Mario games. I remember Sunshine being quite a challenge to get al 120 Shines.

Probably be best if we aren't calling other gamers weird.

Apr 5, 2008
It's my generation that grew up with the earliest video games, the first home computers and had our hearts won by italian plumbers and blue hedgehogs. Video games did exist in the late 80s, contrary to popular belief and it's my generation that has experienced them from that era right up to this one. How many of today's teens can honestly compare Test Drive Unlimited 2 [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c25e2tTKtX0&feature=player_detailpage#t=20s] with Test Drive [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=61HHBCNc63E] on the Amiga?

Just as there are games for every audience there are many different players of different games. Married mothers play WoW, grandmothers play Wii, children play iPad apps.

Donny Deutsch said:
"When you're in your 30s, there should be something more on your mind or attention than video games."
There is I can assure you, but believe it or not even in my 30s I have some free time. I will admit my tastes have changed over the years and I have less time (more responsibilities) than I did a decade ago but games are still fun for a little escapism, time passing and having fun with friends. Undocking aboard the Normandy, shooting zombies or setting demomen aflame is still fun. So screw you Donny Deutsch, whoever you are. Or better yet, come onto a UKCS TF2 server, so I can light your arse on fire.

RhombusHatesYou

Surreal Estate Agent
Mar 21, 2010
Between There and There.
Country
The Wide, Brown One.
RollForInitiative said:
I make them for a living and plenty of people on our team are over 30. So what do you make of that, o ye woefully uneducated fools?
You really need to ask? They probably see game development studios as juvenile playgrounds full of modern day peter pans.

Baron Twinkles

Jul 13, 2011
I don't think they're weird. What's more I think as this generation ages we'll start seeing more and more elderly playing mmos. It makes sense as a lot of them can't move around a lot but still want to be social.

Jun 11, 2008
I wouldn't be so offended if t hey actually did a bit of research and tried to make a decent argument other than "That's weird xbox". That isn't even really a sentence. I think it was a sentence and then the onset of turrets syndrome.

Apr 5, 2008
xXxJessicaxXx said:
Well I'm 30 next year. :( But it makes it okay if I'm female right? RIGHT?

[small]It probably makes it worse doesn't it...[/small]
Yeah, it really does :p

xXxJessicaxXx said:
But seriously video games are the biggest entertainment industry in the world and we aren't supposed to like it? Sigh.
Actually the biggest entertainment industry is Bollywood, followed closely by the errrr....you know...*cough* movies. But it is huge, you're right. In the US alone, the games industry turned over about $17bill in 2007.

Mr. Eff_v1legacy

Aug 20, 2009
It is an entertainment medium to be enjoyed by anyone of any age. I hope games will be able to entertain me for the rest of my life.

scorptatious

The Resident Team ICO Fanboy
May 14, 2009
Just some old farts who don't know anything about what they're talking about. AGAIN.

The only part I kind of agree with is that video games shouldn't be the only thing your life centers around when you're in your 30's. Which is of course common sense and doesn't even need to be mentioned.

Chibz

Sep 12, 2008
RhombusHatesYou said:
Global Financial Crisis

It was mostly people with young families who had to move back home due to the GFC. Heavily restricted income and reduced savings plus anklebiters makes rental problematic at best, near impossible in a rental property shortage.
Whoa. There was a... financial crisis? Hold on. Wikipedia, SAVE ME! 2007 to 2011? Man, what great years. I paid off ALL my debt, got a fantastic boyfriend and discovered the true meaning of Bonfire Night (Making fun of Catholics, coincidentally). And apparently there was some sort of crazy financial crisis. Don't that beat all.

Antari

Music Slave
Nov 4, 2009
If they think I'm weird now, just wait until I hit 70! From my point of view people in television have a total monopoly on weird.

Farther than stars

Jun 19, 2011
Naw, quite a lot of gamers now are in their thirties. Gaming's just a pasttime like any other. Kids play games during lunchbreak at school? Office workers do the same thing (at their office of course). Also, I know gaming's because a pretty popular hobby at quite a lot of NATO military bases (especially those of the U.S.).
Heck, Wikipedia says the average gamer is now 35 and climbing, but I'm not too sure about that statistic. What I do know, however, is that there are now more gamers over 50 than under 18.
So if you ascribe the meaning of the word "weird" as being in juxtaposition with "the norm", then no, gaming over 30 is not weird.
Honestly though, why did you make a poll out of this? This is a gaming site about games. Did you actually think that anything less than an overwhelming majority would vote "no"? 0.o

drisky

Mar 16, 2009
I actually saw this when it was new a got quite pissed off, thought about bringing it up here but decided not to. The main thing that made me angry is that this gender psychologist is so narrow minded that he won't let people have a hobby that he disagrees with. Very judgmental. Also the bull shit about how men are "so hard to understand" just because the hosts and assumedly the audience lumps men in to stereotypes. Just a terrible segment on so many levels.

Fusioncode9

Sep 23, 2010
Meltyman said:
http://www.gamesetwatch.com/2011/07/today_show_gamers_over_30_are_.php

what is your opinion on this ?

to me games are ment to be played no matter what age.
(over the legal age for the game ofcourse hehe)

hope there aint a similiar post made, if there is.. im sorry :)
I'm sure your post pissed off a lot of Grammar Nazis.

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
There's some amazon bombing bait. I would laugh if it really did happen.

Casey Bowen

Jun 26, 2011
Next to "strategy games aren't contemporary" this is one of the most asinine statements I've heard recently. The 30+ gaming crowd are the ones who grew up playing games. From Pong to the Atari 2600 and even the NES and so on. Sure, many have moved on to other things. But how is one person's hobby more weird than someone else's?

I'm a few months away from 40. I'm married and have a child. I grant I am out of work, but then so are millions of other Americans. I would say I'm fairly "normal" in those respects. But because I play some sort of video game nearly every day of my life I'm "weird". Well, their opinion really doesn't mean all that much to me so rather than give it further credence, I'm going to stop now.