Poll: Gamers Over 30 Are ?Weird?

Gralian

Me, I'm Counting
Sep 24, 2008
Yes, because we should all follow the hive-mind that "normal" human beings are supposed to be focused on working like slaves for that promotion which will take up so much of your free time that you won't even be able to spend or enjoy all that extra money, or that you're supposed to be obsessed with getting married and having children and, you know, "raising a family".

I find the notion to be sickening. Not everyone has such lofty life goals. I certainly don't want to raise a family and i only want a job that lets me get by while having the occasional luxury. Life shouldn't have to be some kind of chronicle that verifies and validates your existence. Nor should you have to live your life according to the fucking social-normative hive mind.

I know i'm going to be playing games well into my 30's and beyond. And you know what? I really couldn't give a shit what others think. I'm still going to be playing the next big shooter, the next epic RPG, and the next mario game. In fact, the very concept that people should be ashamed of doing anything they enjoy is one i abhor greatly.

SageRuffin

M-f-ing Jedi Master
Dec 19, 2009
Awesome, more reasons to be ostracized by society. Hell, I get enough scrutiny for being in the military and not liking FPSs.

And I'm only in my mid-20s!! D:

The Gnome King

Mar 27, 2011
Meltyman said:
what is your opinion on this ?
*laughs*

Well, I'm 32, and I'm probably the biggest gamer I know in my age group... but I am definitely weird. My wife and I have been married for 11 years, we're bisexual and polyamorous and live with my male partner of 10 years - we own property and a house together - we have no children, 7 animals (5 cats, 2 dogs)... um... we still have a weekly D&D campaign that we're very much into and honestly?

I don't give a flying flip what anybody else thinks about my lifestyle. I'm happy.

I'm finishing my first play-through of Avadon: The Black Fortress right now in between messing around on these forums, we're heading to the local gaming store this week to see what new campaign we can sign up for (I think we're giving D&D encounters a try) - and I can't wait to finish the book I'm reading (Lucifer's Hammer, a late 1970's sci-fi book about the end of the world) so I can start reading Dances with Dragons, which Martin finally put out.

What should I be worried about at my age? Staring at the TV screen and getting obese like half of America seems to be busy doing at this stage of life?

Merkavar

Aug 21, 2010
why are they focusing on men? isnt the average gamer like a 30 year old women?

at any age games shouldnt be the most important thing on your mind. when your 10 or 40 games should be a hobby not a life.

most older gamers i know spend there day looking after kids, working, etc etc and play games in their downtime. whats bad about that compared to them watching movies or tv?

also i have never seen or even heard of someone playing games in their basemenst. i dont even know anyone with a basement.

all things in moderation. off to play rift for 5 hours.

thetruefallen

Mar 12, 2008
if you take the implied "Video" out of the word "gamer" and just apply it to all forms of gaming electronic or not then you are more likely to find that something like 85% of all people who are "gamers" are over 30.
Just to be clear in gamers I'm adding industries like Gambling (Electronic gaming, table gaming, race betting, all called "gaming' within there own industries), table top gamers (eg WH, D&D, even Chess, probably already included in video games but i know WH40K players who are only now considering playing any of the Relic 40K games as a first) or any other type of non physical activity (not everyone is good at sports) that is played for the amusement of the self the other or the spectator with a goal and end conditions.

DeathWyrmNexus

Jan 5, 2008
GiantRaven said:
"When you're in your 30s, there should be something more on your mind or attention than video games."
Such as? I'm fairly certain that human beings need to focus their mind and attention on certain things purely for entertainments sake every once in a while. Imagine a life where you could do nothing fun. Fucking terrifying.
Inorite? I know I haven't even received word on when I will receive my golf clubs and mistress since I apparently need a more "mature" form of fun when I turn 30 this year...

Gudrests

Mar 29, 2010
AbstractStream said:
Nah, I don't think gamers over 30 are weird. Heck, I'm pretty sure I'll still be a gamer when I'm 30 (AND BEYOND!!!)

Anyone who says otherwise...well THEY'RE weird then!
Hell my dad was a gamer (not hardcore but still) and we played all the time when I was little...and I'm pretty sure he was over 30...he had 3 kids soooo...lol. Same with my Grandpa he played with us all the time when we were over there. Were they weird.......O...ok well dad is weird but thats only because he likes to dance randomly to bad bad music when people are over but weird in the creepy weird way? The Marine and the Police officer? No don't think so.

Lucem712

*Chirp*
Jul 14, 2011
Considering that the "Atari"/"NES" generation (1972) would be 30 or more, not odd at all. All the other mediums are just jealous that all their founders aren't around anymore, Lol.

cjbos81

Apr 8, 2009
I've been playing video games for about 25 years now. Setting an age limit on video gaming is stupid. Having said that, video games are not my life. I'm not obsessed with games. And I don't live in a basement!

But then what difference would it make what a 30 year old is obsessed with. If he were obsessed with model trains or horticulture to the point that he neglects everything in his life, would it be any better?

These elderly fools are missing the point!

Someone give them a glass of warm milk and put them to bed.

Windcaler

Nov 7, 2010
Ive been a gamer since I was six and Im 31 now. Its been a normal part of my life for years and it still is. I see no reason why i would stop enjoying a medium, its like saying I cant enjoy a book or a movie after Im a certain age.

Its like the old argument that some peoples parents give their kids. "You need to go outside and have some fun" but the child doesnt have fun outside for whatever reason. In that case why would someone choose to do something thats not fun for something that is?

So remind me, why should I care about anything they have to say?

Bob Hoss

Oct 26, 2009
I said 'yes'. Because most people associate gaming with kid's stuff, most people who want to be 'sensible' and respectable on a common level will abandon gaming after college. The people who game after college are usually people who are just giant man-children, rather than mature people who just decided to keep gaming a hobby. I think that stereotype will change soon, but for now, most 'old' gamers are a bit weird. Even creepy sometimes.

t3h br0th3r

May 7, 2009
I am pretty sure that EVERYONE ON THIS FORUM could crush all three of them at once at any game, of any genre, on any platform ever made.

Protip: don't take gaming advice from someone you can pwn at everything.

RhombusHatesYou

Surreal Estate Agent
Mar 21, 2010
Between There and There.
Country
The Wide, Brown One.
DeathWyrmNexus said:
Inorite? I know I haven't even received word on when I will receive my golf clubs and mistress since I apparently need a more "mature" form of fun when I turn 30 this year...
Golf and mistress are paid options. The freebies are a beer gut and a form guide for the ponies.

Dr_Horrible

Oct 24, 2010
As has been pointed out I am sure, most gamers are over 30 at this point. Even if it were weird, a strange majority becomes the norm by default.

Anyway, how much more valuable are these detractor's hobbies? I would say that gaming is a more cathartic and profound experience than stamp collecting.

fibchopkin

Feb 22, 2011
My husband is thirty- we live on a small island and have active interests in swimming, surfing, diving and hiking. We have great friends and fun social gatherings. He has a degree and a great paying job that allows us to live here in comfort and even a relative amount of luxury. However, all this apparantly becomes null and void and he is relegated to "the creepy guy in the basement" because he likes to boot up Assasin's Creed, or Mass Effect instead of strictly sticking to playing Mario Galaxy or Diego Wii with our son? What the hell?!!? And what does that make me? I probably like games more than he does! No, I'm sorry, but I'm gonna have to wave the bullshit flag on this one.

Viedrick

Oct 12, 2009
I think its weird NOT to play video games... wtf do non-gamers do with their free time? Watch the news? Vote? Go to college? pft... that's for noobs *fires up his 360*

Musette

Pacifist Percussionist
Apr 19, 2010
I've never imagined gaming over a certain age as weird. My dad plays video games to this day and plays many of the games that I play myself.
In fact, my brother's in his 30's and most likely won't be stopping anytime soon.

I don't get why people think that you can "outgrow" an entire medium of entertainment, especially now that video games are considered an art form in the US.

witheringsanity

Aug 25, 2009
i'm pretty sure that should have read "Gamers are over 30, weird." since the typical age of a gamer is just that, over 30.

Talydia

Feb 15, 2011
well crap, I'm going to be officially weird next year I guess. Why 30 anyways? If they're for kids, why not 18? That's when you're usually considered an adult. From now on anyone legally considered an adult playing a video game is weird.