Poll: God I miss Isometric

loc978

Sep 18, 2010
I still go back and play my old iso RPGs from time to time... most recent was a heavily modded playthrough of Icewind Dale featuring Final Fantasy IV/VI characters.
As an aside, making bows [http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n182/loc978/VideoGameScreenies/IWDRosa.jpg], daggers and small swords [http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n182/loc978/VideoGameScreenies/IWDTerra.jpg] usable by clerics in a 2nd ed. D&D Infinity Engine game is a pain in the ass.

This [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/116066-Website-Teases-New-Baldurs-Gate-Something-UPDATED] gives me some small hope, though seeing "mobile ports" mentioned in reference to the company stomps on that hope a bit.

Sep 14, 2009
Smertnik said:
I don't. I hate the isometric view. I want to be able to freely look around and when you can't control your character directly it becomes even worse. Isometric perspective can work (like in Bastion) but most of the times I find it just annoying to look at my character(s) from the sky. Third person perspective is what I'm most comfortable with.
roughly this. in dragon age i spent probably 80% of my time in third person while 20% of it zoomed out in a semi isometric view, just because i liked controlling the camera look better.

Feb 13, 2008
I'm gonna say Bastion for a start.

And then follow up with a nice link for you: http://www.classic-retro-games.com/Adventure_games_5.html

illas

RAWR!!!
Apr 4, 2010
Yes I miss Isometric 3D - as others have said Bastion was a wonderful throwback though.

Regarding isometric games that I enjoyed: Ultima Online was time-consuming but fun; Pharaoh was very involving; and Throne of Darkness conjures up a lot of fond memories.

Tuesday Night Fever

Jun 7, 2011
I miss isometric games too.

If I had the option to continue the trend of "EVERYTHING'S A GENERIC FPS!!!!" or go back to isometric, I'd gladly watch the stale FPS/TPS genre burn to the ground.

Thoric485

Aug 17, 2008
I loved being able to switch between OTS and isometric in DA:O - oggle at finishers and monster detail from up-close one second, enjoy beautiful scenery and a convenient tactical view the next.

It certainly has a place in modern gaming, but since it's not really usable on a console and takes quite a bit of extra work it's not very high on most developers' priority lists.

Elementary - Dear Watson

RIP Eleuthera, I will miss you
Nov 9, 2010
I love me some Isometric games! I am playing Final Fantasy Tactics right now, that's some good game right there!

To be honest. I am struggling to keep up with the projection angle mentioned here! I know it is all to do with dimensions and things, but in simple terms can it mean anything between top down and side veiw? I suppose the true isometric is when 3D is made into 2D, so that objects placed at different distances have sligtly different dimensions right? Kind of why jumping between platforms in some games that use that type of view can be difficultm because it is harder to tell where the platforms are in relation to eachother...

In terms of that type of game, then it is good that games like Mario have moved on... makes it a whole lot easier!

Otherwise I think the view type will stick around longer still... The recent success of Bastion will probably kick start some money thirsty developers, and the recent upheave of handheld gaming via the Vista/3DS and phones will probably encourage more games using this angle!

Mr.Squishy

Apr 14, 2009
Smertnik said:
I don't. I hate the isometric view. I want to be able to freely look around and when you can't control your character directly it becomes even worse. Isometric perspective can work (like in Bastion) but most of the times I find it just annoying to look at my character(s) from the sky. Third person perspective is what I'm most comfortable with.
Finally someone who shares my opinion. Jesus christ, everyone else seems to just be all over the isometric view, but it's what's kept me from going back and completing baldur's gate 2 or starting fallout 1 and 2, or neverwinter nights. Third and first person are a lot better, or even just being able to move the camera would make it more tolerable.

Scrustle

Apr 30, 2011
Meh, isometric wasn't that great. I'm not against it being used in more games if it's suited to it, but if it's not necessary then it shouldn't be there. But I generally prefer 3rd person overall. But wasn't the point of isometric supposed to be that it made a game look 3D when it really wasn't? We haven't needed that for decades. But whatever, I can see why isometric works well with things like RTS games. Just as long as it stays away from racing games. I really don't get why they still make racing games with a a top down/isometric view when we don't have to. It's the worst perspective you can have for that type of game!

plugav

Mar 2, 2011
I do miss isometric games, but I think it has more to do with the games (especially Planescape: Torment and Fallout) than with the perspective itself.

evilneko

Fall in line!
Jun 16, 2011
I don't miss it. I consider Third Person the natural evolution of the isometric view. I don't think isometric holds any advantages over third-person, while third-person eliminates the most annoying disadvantage of iso: the blind spots.

DEAD34345

Aug 18, 2010
Cheap and beautiful, I definitely miss it, despite the fact that I wasn't actually gaming much when it was the standard. It's a lot easier to make a good looking game in a 2d isometric format than it is a full 3d one, so ideally it would either allow games of greater scale to be created for the same cost, or allow riskier games to be developed due to the lesser budget.

boag

Sep 13, 2010
Vegosiux said:
boag said:
Tayh said:
Isometric was awesome.
I hate how everything has to be converted to FPS/TPS perspective these days.

My favourite games are still Fallout 2, Baldur's Gate series and Planescape:Torment.
I wish someone would make a decent sequel to those games.
Fallout 2 and Baldurs Gate pretty much fucked themselves over with their endings, how would you go go about making decent sequels to clusterfucks like those, if you arent satisfied with what came from one of them?
Clusterfucked? Clusterfucked!? Since when is a story well told and closed properly instead of being a sequell hook translated into "clusterfucked"?

I agree, they ended so that sequels are impossible, but that's in this case a good thing.

Also, bring in some isometric, but hmm, didn't Bastion try it and pulled it off rather well actually?
If you are pleased with the close lid endings, then why are you asking for sequels?

The endings themselves pretty much shut the door down on any continuation of the story for the characters you used.

As For Bastion, I played it, found it mildly entertaining, the story was a mess and the ending felt very contrived, did like the design choice and art in general, but didnt really feel like playing it again.

BlueTimberwolf

Oct 29, 2008
The stronghold series was at its best when in iso (stronghold 1 and stronghold crusader).

Also the sierra city building series is one of the best for city builders (The last good one being emperor: rise of the middle kingdom) and those where all iso until Caesar 4.

Vegosiux

May 18, 2011
boag said:
If you are pleased with the close lid endings, then why are you asking for sequels?
I'm not, actually. BG and PS:T are something I never, ever ever ever want anyone attempting a sequel to. Ever. And if BioWare are going to actually pull something like that with the recent rumors, well...

What I am saying is that I'm partial to isometric and wish for the return, even if only as a niche thing.