Poll: God I miss Isometric

Punch You

Dec 12, 2010
Anyone play Alundra PS1(which is now on PSN)?

Personally, it's my favorite Zelda game.

Chris646

Jan 3, 2011
Isometric, while a tiny bit confusing for the non-gamer, is a good thing. It gives a sense of depth and scale better than simple top-down perspective. Many good games did use it, and I agree with the sentiment that it should be brought back.

Condiments

Jul 8, 2010
Vegosiux said:
boag said:
If you are pleased with the close lid endings, then why are you asking for sequels?
I'm not, actually. BG and PS:T are something I never, ever ever ever want anyone attempting a sequel to. Ever. And if BioWare are going to actually pull something like that with the recent rumors, well...

What I am saying is that I'm partial to isometric and wish for the return, even if only as a niche thing.
Technically you can still have sequels that don't follow the same storyline/characters. Like what was planned for Baldur's Gate 3: The Black Hound before Black Isle went under....*sigh*

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
I'd love to see a modern take on it, though I guess it DOES exist in many a turn-based RPG.

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
I appreciated the view for the qualities it had, but it was a horried POV for many types of game. I wouldn't be against seeing it more, however, as long as it's used when and where it belongs.

BiggyShackleton

Nov 15, 2008
Apparently your wishes could have been answered.

http://www.metro.co.uk/tech/games/891702-bioware-veteran-teases-new-baldurs-gate-game

I'd say that if BG3 is in fact going to be made it would probably be isometric, just nicer looking (though I still think the originals aged incredibly well considering). If it isn't well, cue shitstorm from the hardcore.

evilneko

Fall in line!
Jun 16, 2011
Anthraxus said:
Lunncal said:
Cheap and beautiful, I definitely miss it, despite the fact that I wasn't actually gaming much when it was the standard. It's a lot easier to make a good looking game in a 2d isometric format than it is a full 3d one, so ideally it would either allow games of greater scale to be created for the same cost, or allow riskier games to be developed due to the lesser budget.
Good post. Somebody understands the disadvantages of 'da new shit'.

-snip-
Except that perspective has nothing to do with that at all.

Cogwheel

Apr 3, 2010
Do give the Spiderweb games (Geneforge/Avernum) a try some time. They're rather excellent RPGs, especially Geneforge, and also all isometric. I think you might like them.

Helmholtz Watson

Nov 7, 2011
Doitpow said:
By all that is holy I miss isometric perspective.

Baldur's Gate, Red Alert 2, Age of Empires 2, Diablo 1 and 2, Fallout 1 and 2. Pretty much 90% of all decent PC gaming experiences used it back in the day. Man isometric perspective rocked.

Why does no one make isometric RPGs anymore? Even on handheld's they're super rare. The iPhone should have at least one decent one.
Why does every RTS need to be able to swing cameras around like crazy? They don't. It's stupid.

So yeah...Anyone with me?
miss isometric?
Want it back?
what were your favorite isometric games?
hey how could you forget the Tales! Great game btw

RagTagBand

Jul 7, 2011
I miss it about as much as I miss games with fixed cameras.

In other words BWAHAHAHA WHY THE FUCK WOULD I MISS THAT? Seriously, it was a cheap way to give the illusion of 3D, it was a top-down with a few smoke and mirrors thrown in. It's good for games where you need to see a lot, when individual units are not important, When you're a commander and not really a participant, RTS's for example...but not for anything else.

Modern RTS's (starcraft 2, for exmaple) work well with that kind of view for the above reasons, but RPG's...no. Not anymore.

Fai57

Mar 14, 2011
Isometric is okay in some circumstances, but there's nothing inherently better about it. All you people praising its glory just have nostalgia filters on. It's not bad, and it still works, and is even preferred for some genres (RTS), it's just not as amazing as some of you seem to think it is.

Furioso

Jun 16, 2009
Ultima 8 (at least I think that one counts as isometric) killed my love for isometric, my god the jumping puzzles, WHY!

But I still enjoyed them at the time, I don't really see them doing well in this day and age though

Twilight_guy

Sight, Sound, and Mind
Nov 24, 2008
No. I will not sign the praises of an arbitrary design decision. It's pointless and dumb. A single design decision does not a good game make and I will fight to the death anyone who thinks otherwise. There is more to making good games then just one thing that in and of itself bears little weight and I don't support ideas that imply otherwise they trivialize and fragment gaming.

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
I'm actually really surprised most indie devs completely ignore it, the view offers such huge benefits over camera hassle.
Not saying every game should have it but there are a whole sea of platformers and puzzle games that try to cram in FPS/TPS and they just fail so miserably with that kind of gameplay.

Heck I would just prefer it as a choice to pull the camera out, that way everyone is happy.

Tayh

Apr 6, 2009
boag said:
Fallout 2 and Baldurs Gate pretty much fucked themselves over with their endings, how would you go go about making decent sequels to clusterfucks like those, if you arent satisfied with what came from one of them?
It doesn't have to have the same lead characters.
Similar game design and same enviroment/setting would do it for me.
I must admit I haven't finished Baldur's Gate 2 yet, so I don't know how that ends, but there's plenty of opportunity to create sequels from where Fallout 2 ended, it doesn't even have to be contained within NA.