Poll: Going Akimbo

number2301

Apr 27, 2008
Akimbo weapons has been around since the dawn of FPSs? Wait, what?

Maybe if you think Halo was the first FPS.

Dec 27, 2008
I do it with the rangers on hardcore to be a little less unfair about it. But when people use those model 1887 that is just way too unfair. I was getting one shotted at a range on normal.

Optimus Hagrid

Feb 14, 2009
number2301 said:
Akimbo weapons has been around since the dawn of FPSs? Wait, what?

Maybe if you think Halo was the first FPS.
Very incorrect - Halo didn't have dual wielding.

Ironically, the developers of Halo created Marathon in 1994 - one of the first games to feature dual wielding :p

[small]do tell me if I have incorrectly used the word 'ironic'[/small]

Ocelot GT

Oct 29, 2009
Dual wielding the shotguns...

MASSIVE OP/IMBA!

Especially in the hands of a hacker. Essentially, they are unkillable in most situations. Short of you getting the drop on them, and if they ARE hacking, that's near impossible.

Get rid of them, along with silencers on shotguns, which is plain stupid. Your secondary weapon is suppose to be a fall back weapon, not the most powerful imbalanced weapon in the game.

BladeOfAkriloth

Jun 30, 2009
You my good friend would NOT like the multiplayer aspect of call of juarez 2.......... you'd go mad at the hombre....

Queen Michael

has read 4,010 manga books
Jun 9, 2009
Something I've always loved in movies, books and comics is when they say stuff like "And in real life nobody gets away with just wounding. So shoot to kill." They should do that with this.

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
even then it was only halo 2 that allowed you to hold 2 weapons, int eh first one you couldnt, although having said that i think halo made it popular, simply because of the amount of weapons and the advantages of plasma/bullet shooting (plasma for sheilds, bullets for the rest)

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
Foggy_Fishburne said:
KhaineII said:
So, ever since the first FPS was born, players have constantly been given the option to dual wield their weapons, or use them "akimbo." I'm kind of on the fence about this gameplay mechanic, and here's why:

PROS: It's fun as fuck.

Who doesn't love scooping up a couple of pistols in L4D and L4D2 and going to town on the zombie masses, screaming bloody murder and profanities about their mothers? Plus, you look like a badass.

Take John Woo's Stranglehold for instance. You slide down banisters, jump tables, ride serving carts, and gyrate in the middle of the room systematically downing people with your "dualies." It's almost like an art form. Wet makes this mechanic even more beautiful when it allows you to target to enemies at once. Watch as you skid across the floor, in slow motion, clearing an entire room of people in a matter of seconds like your Angelina Jolie out of Wanted. It's a great time in games like L4D, and Wet where a major aspect of player enjoyment is the absurdity of it all.

But this leads me to the other side of the "fence..."

CONS - Part 1: Broken Realism

Modern Warfare 2. Oh, and I apologise for bringing it up. I know there is a million threads on it thus far, but it's such a good example.

MW2 is supposed to be a realistic representation of warfare. Or, so it's developers would have us believe. But nothing gets to me more than working through an entire campaign as a hardened, experienced, well trained Marine/SAS trooper than to suddenly find myself staggering through a market spraying bullets everywhere because I can't keep both my P90's steady. This suddenly begs the question as to what the hell my superior officers are doing? They go so far as to memorise callsigns should communications go out, but the second they see my ass flailing around two shotguns, arms fully extended outwards like a jackass, they compliment me on my fantastic skills as a Marine and let me carry on about my day?

Realism my ass.

CONS - Part Deux: It's cheap as fuck.

Akimbo Model 1887's in Multiplayer. Need I say more? At close range the Model 1887 can turn a person into pulpy oatmeal with just one shot. So give a man two of these, and suddenly he's clearing out buildings like he's John fucking Rambo. Sure, this relates back to my "PROS" which state that this can be fun as arse...and it is, but only if you're the one doing it. Getting constantly mowed down by the same fucker carrying akimbo shotguns gets pretty frustrating in a manner of seconds. Akimbo SMG's are balanced out by the fact that they're so inaccurate that you couldn't shoot yourself with them if you wanted to, but with a shotgun, the Model 1887 in particular, this isn't an issue. It's a single shot weapon, so recoil is no longer an issue.

----------

So, there it is. What do you all think? Agree? Disagree? Is it cheap, is it fun, is it realistic? Anything else that comes up when you think akimbo weaponry?

Does the word "akimbo" look sexy to you? Well, okay, I don't want that last question answered...
I cannot agree more on your part deux point: Overpowered doesn't even begin to cover it... Yeah they broke the realism thing which is sad because that's what made MW so badass. Like Yahtzee said: It's little more like James Bond mixed with Michael Bay. And secondly the multiplayer ain't nearly as fun anymore. Not when you know that those rediculous shotguns are jumping around the map, one-shooting everything that moves.

A shame. I still regard MW1 multiplayer as the best I've ever played. Maps - perfect, gameplay - solid, weapons - as balanced as they can get = fun! MW2 works but... there is that niggling thought that somewhere on the map, a shotgun dualwielding dickhead is spraying bullets everywhere and getting everyone without effort or tactics. Which kinda throws the whole "fair play" part out the window.

I dig your article, you write great, keep em' coming mate
i have a solution for the shotgun twat, a good rifle or sniper at long range =) keep doing that u get a hurl of abuse from them, hehe eee the fun times of pissing off a noob =)

Kollega

Jun 5, 2009
I say keep it, just make it inaccurate and inconvinient to reload in multiplayer.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
Kollega said:
I say keep it, just make it inaccurate and inconvinient to reload in multiplayer.
Pretty much this. For game balance, there should be a tradeoff for double the ammunition load and twice the rate of fire.

And for the sake of historical accuracy, akimbo is much older than Halo 2. In fact, Goldeneye 64 allowed you to dual-wield weapons (although, outside of one mission where you picked up an SMG and semiauto grenade launcher from a major enemy, you had to have an all-weapons cheat enabled to do so).

Danny Ocean

Master Archivist
Jun 28, 2008
Oh god I hate duallies in Modern Warfare. Sniper rifles I can deal with, because you need to really aim with those. Besides the lack of realism, duallies just seem to be way too good, especially when you consider it's a secondary damn weapon. You know? In the same group as pistols? The weapons you're meant to fall back on? This new system means you can carry your dual shotguns for close range, and an assault rifle should you be pinned by a sniper.

Which brings me to the second point: Is there really any benefit to using a sniper rifle in this game? The assault rifles are pin-point accurate on single shot, and they don't sway at all, unlike the sniper rifles, which bob around all over the place. I've found that, so far, if you don't kill someone in one shot as a sniper, you're toast. They just need to land one bullet on you to render you unable to aim properly, and from there you're like a motherfecking whale in a tin can.

ON TOP OF THAT, how the hell do people run around with machine guns? Those things need to be mounted in real life. They kill you in two shots with stopping power, have huge ammo reserves and fire very fast. They don't limit your mobility at all, and the AUG in particular, is as accurate as a sniper rifle. How is that at all balanced?

Although, for me, the one thing I wish they'd do is make it impossible to shoot whilst you're jumping. That really is retarded. Winds me right up.

Everything else seems OK to me.

wordsmith

TF2 Group Admin
May 1, 2008
Danny Ocean said:
Although, for me, the one thing I wish they'd do is make it impossible to shoot whilst you're jumping. That really is retarded. Winds me right up.
Really? It pisses me off no end when if I can't shoot. Sure, I might miss, but a jump down a staircase will bring me within point-blank range, and if I'm faster on the trigger I'd appreciate being able to capitalise on the suprise attack.

Not to mention the amount of smokers I've shot off people whilst jumping to get the right angle....

Distorted Stu

Sep 22, 2009
I enjoy double weapons. Timesplitters akimbo guns are just epic. I use P90's in MW2 for lulz, even they only work when the enemy are directly infront of you and fairly close. The whole realism thing doesnt both be because its a game.

Danny Ocean

Master Archivist
Jun 28, 2008
wordsmith said:
Danny Ocean said:
Really? It pisses me off no end when if I can't shoot. Sure, I might miss, but a jump down a staircase will bring me within point-blank range, and if I'm faster on the trigger I'd appreciate being able to capitalise on the suprise attack.
Oh by all means make the person able to shoot as soon as they land, but stop people doing that jumping-side-to-side-spraying-you crap they so love.

wordsmith

TF2 Group Admin
May 1, 2008
Danny Ocean said:
wordsmith said:
Danny Ocean said:
Oh by all means make the person able to shoot as soon as they land, but stop people doing that jumping-side-to-side-spraying-you crap they so love.
Lead your shots, man, lead your shots.

Lt. Vinciti

Nov 5, 2009
I Akimbo (Umpapas) for TDM since everyone would rather sit in the grass or make love to a crate in a room...

Oh I once stole Akimbo 1887s and IT WAS GOD LIKE!

Evil Jak said:
Since when dont shotguns kill people at close range? You were talking about realism... there is your realism.
Shot em in the face and they still are able to knife you?

Naturalized said:
I hate akimbo in MW2 multiplayer. I stopped playing multiplayer due to the amount of idiots running around with akimbo P90's. Despite what you say, whenever they are used against me they are extremely accurate.

It ruins the game for me and I think it should be tossed or at the very least balanced.
You could remove "running around with akimbo P90's" and that would be a MUCH better reason to quit <silent rage against idiots + domination>