Poll: Guys playing girl characters

kokirisoldier

Apr 15, 2008
I made a female Night elf Hunter. I really thought nothing of it. My guild knew I was a Guy(ventrilo). But when i was just running around questing, guys would stop what ever they were doing and help me out. I found it hilarious. I always had dibs on loot in PUG groups who didn't know who I was. Funny how things work eh?

Laurefinde

Mar 19, 2009
I have always played male characters and roleplayed them, no big deal, but just recently I created a female character and it was strange roleplaying as her so I deleted her. I did answer yes to the poll but I think I will stick to male characters.

scotth266

Wait when did I get a sub
Jan 10, 2009
I pick whatever looks interesting to me: male, female, nuclear toaster, whatever, and then just roll with it.

Maileigh

Mar 14, 2009
All my male friends who role Horde on Warcraft tend to choose female Blood Elves. One of the main reasons is because they feel that the male Blood Elves seem too 'gay'. "I don't have a taaarget!" "I'm out of ammo!" "I could really use a scrunchy!"

Oddly enough, another female friend and myself prefer to play as male Blood Elves hmmm ... go fig.

Oddness, it happens.

Aqualung

Mar 11, 2009
I'm always a girl, my own gender, on MMO's.. But when playing something such as Fallout 3, I'm always a guy. I don't know why, but it just seems to fit better depending on the game.

AceDefective

Mar 23, 2009
no because all the rpg (rocket propelled gummiebears) i play with the name hiljor don't ask
that is not a girls name

Spirultima

Jul 25, 2008
I alternate, first i play with the guy through "Spirultima Ultrikama" the play through as my girl character "Laru Dasfitensai"

Schnippshly

Mar 6, 2009
I always play as a girl, in any OFFLINE game that allows it, like Mass Effect, Fallout 3 or Saints Row 2. I like to see the main character, the STRONGEST character, being a female. Gives life variety in a world where men are always the main characters and women are always the SUPPORTING characters.
In an online game, I always play as a male character (a black guy if given the choice) because I don't want people being confused about my manliness. I think it's weird when someone plays as a female character in an online game, when there's no actual difference between male or female characters. When social interaction is involved, I'm not going to pretend to be a girl. But I will pretend to be black. There are enough CRACKERS running around.
OK I don't actually pretend to be black but I make my character black.

SmugFrog

Ribbit
Sep 4, 2008
I always like to have my main character be a representation of me. When I create a 2nd character, sometimes I'll go as far out as I can to be different from the main - which will include creating a female character. Lately with games like Mass Effect and Fallout 3, playing the evil side I use a female character (opposite of my usual), which, kind of sucks because I also want to see the "good" female side, and the "evil" male side. It's just more replay value in a game. Eventually I came up with a female character and name that I create in almost every game if I play through a 2nd time.

Originengel

Nov 7, 2006
Yes, I play as a girl online and that is mostly due to the issues with animation and such on the male models. Some reason, and I do remember reading this somewhere in a study through art, that males are a lot harder to make look "Fluid," and "Life-life" without bordering on creepy.

I play a female and my Girlfriend plays a female, we both have the same reason, the male models just do not seem natural enough to look at in a 3d perspective. They just seem so un-lifelike no matter how good the animations are.

CadeHolwind

Jul 16, 2004
My wife plays male characters, since we're RPers I sometimes take on the female character.
She plays male characters because she doesn't like to get hit on, and I tell anyone that's stupid enough to ask "R u grl irl?" that I'm really a marmot with a thinking cap on that allows me to transmit my brainwaves straight to a super computer.

And humans are funny.

posom2

Mar 25, 2008
I play with whatever's there, sometimes a girl. If I get hit on I just say I'm asexual.

Oh, and Cade, I like the way you think. I'm going to blatantly steal that next time some moron asks me.

sargebw86

Apr 4, 2009
More often than not, I like playing with female characters just 'cause I like female protagonists in video games, or it's Diablo 2 syndrome (the assassin, sorceress, and amazon classes are female only). If I make a guy, it's because I'm trying to immerse my own personality into the character, or the game is Audition.

In short:
If I want to look at someone heroic: female
If I want to feel immersed: male

DM.

Mar 27, 2009
Looking at how Zoey always gets healed first in left 4 dead, It's considerable.

antipunt

Jan 3, 2009
I play as females b/c sometimes male avatars look so...'ugly'. I dunno how to describe it.

A female 'heroine' also feels more original and less stale. I also prefer slick/stealthy as opposed to macho-rambo, if that makes any sense

PrimeSynergy

Aug 24, 2008
1. I like variety. I'm tired of playing stupidly muscular men in nearly every game I play.

2. Some guy characters just look fugly. Look at the Perfect World mmo...I don't see how anyone can willingly play as a guy.

BonsaiK

Music Industry Corporate Whore
Nov 14, 2007
I'm a guy and I play as girl characters whenever the option to do so is present. They look better for a start, and I like watching virtual females kick ass. There's something about watching a muscly man go around killing things which is a little unappealing to me, I'd much rather watch a woman do it. And no I don't care if she's portrayed "sexily" or not, in fact I usually like it when developers DON'T bung on the fake "sexiness" with the subtlety of a jackhammer. Sometimes subtle is sexier anyway. Also I like roleplaying rather than immersing my own personality in a game, and I'd rather roleplay someone who DOESN'T have my own characteristics (that's what roleplay is after all - it's playing a role, not playing yourself). Making the avatar the opposite gender makes that a little easier to do.

I really recommend it to guys to play as girls once in while, just to see how differently you're treated in a multiplayer community. It's an educational experience. Play as a girl online convincingly and you'll quickly learn just how immature guys can be. Even if you do NOTHING to provoke anybody other than calling your avatar Sally instead of Sam, you'll generally get a LOT more attention of both the good AND the bad kind. But mostly the bad kind. The amount of guys wanting to "cyber", or give me heaps of abuse, or just kill me because my avatar was female, have always far outweighed the ones who would give me free stuff.

CellarDweller

Dec 18, 2008
I played a female in Planetside (as a stealther the smaller profile saved me numerous times). These days I usually come up with a name for a character first and then pick a gender based on the name, my priest in WOW for example was called Caduceus, so I made it female.