Poll: Guys: would you give up your seat on the last lifeboat to women and children?

Lordpils

Aug 3, 2009
Children yes, but I can't swim and I'm not shark or frozen water-proof any more then you are lady I am faster then you though as evidenced by the fact that I reached the lifeboat before you did.

Edit: actually I'd probably give up the lifeboat for just about anyone I'm kinda obsessed with self-sacrifice.

Irony's Acolyte

Back from the Depths
Mar 9, 2010
Somepeople got to die and if I'm already on the lifeboat, there isn't much that would get me off. I might take a kid or something along (they can sit on my lap if they have to, women are free to share a seat too), but I probably wouldn't give up my seat for some random stranger. Sure it would be the "noble" thing to you, but nobility don't make you any less dead.

Of course in the end, I'd have to know the full context. If I figured I would be rescued eventually even if I gave a seat up, I'd probably give it to someone who would need rescuing earlier (elderly, sick, young).

Merkavar

Aug 21, 2010
i probably would for a child but i dont see how a man is less valuable than a women.

but maybe i would cause im so fat ill just float in the water

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
If men and women are supposed to be equal these days, I don't find "this adult stranger has a vagina" as a valid reason to give up my seat and likely my survival. The only difference between us is that I got to the boat faster than you, and as long as I didn't do something dickish like knock you over on the way too the boat, I see no reason to feel guilty about that. And just since people seem to be mentioning they can swim as if it would actually mean something (where are all of you planning to swim to, exactly?), I can not swim, so even if there was someplace to swim to, I wouldn't be getting there without a boat.

Children on the other hand, I probably would get up then. Children actually are more vulnerable and more in need of protection, it's not just some thing people used to think about them in the past.

tkioz said:
I think there are far far too many "males" and "guys" today and very few MEN.
That's because you all keep letting yourselves get killed instead of surviving to keep breeding more of your species, whereas "males" and "guys" survive and produce more "males" and "guys". :p

NoNameMcgee

Feb 24, 2009
For a child yes. Definitely not for a woman unless she was carrying a child.

Only because children havent experienced any of what life has to offer and I've at least experienced some of it. Children are also innocent (at least under the age of like 9.. usually)

RN7

Oct 27, 2009
Hell no. I'd probably throw women and children out of the damned boat if that's what it took to survive. Maybe, just maybe, if I was feeling generous, I push someone else overboard to make room, but not at the cost of my life.

Exocet

Pandamonium is at hand
Dec 3, 2008
tkioz said:
Appleshampoo said:
I would, because I'm a fuckin' man. And a real man does that kind of stuff without care for 'equal rights' and other things like that. It's the man thing to do.
You know what's funny, I agree with you.

I think there are far far too many "males" and "guys" today and very few MEN. A Man takes responsibility for his actions, a male shoulders burdens, a male will risk himself for others.
By that logic,there are very few WOMEN who understand that their lives aren't worth any more then a man's.I would put my life in danger to save people(not the plural),but I would not commit suicide for them.
Why does that make me a lesser man,wanting to live?

PureChaos

Aug 16, 2008
for a child i would but possibly not for a woman unless the woman was the child's mother or something like that

tkioz

Fussy Fiddler
May 7, 2009
Exocet said:
tkioz said:
Appleshampoo said:
I would, because I'm a fuckin' man. And a real man does that kind of stuff without care for 'equal rights' and other things like that. It's the man thing to do.

I think there are far far too many "males" and "guys" today and very few MEN. A Man takes responsibility for his actions, a male shoulders burdens, a male will risk himself for others.
By that logic,there are very few WOMEN who understand that their lives aren't worth any more then a man's.I would put my life in danger to save people(not the plural),but I would not commit suicide for them.
And that's the problem. a MAN views others as more important themselves, be it one person or ten, he'll risk his life to save them.

El_Chubba_Chubba

Mar 13, 2009
What difference should it make if its the last lifeboat, if i was on the 3rd out of 25 I wouldn't get out of it. If I gave up the last one, then that means I shouldn't get in one in the first place.

Screw children and women, no!

I have every right to live!....Oh wait this is hypothetical, I need to chill.

Exocet

Pandamonium is at hand
Dec 3, 2008
tkioz said:
Exocet said:
tkioz said:
Appleshampoo said:

And that's the problem. a MAN views others as more important themselves, be it one person or ten, he'll risk his life to save them.
RISK is the important word.I would risk my life for multiple people,but why the fuck should I commit suicide for an other human being? 1 person is going to die in both cases,why automatically me? That alone makes me more then a Man,it makes me a Human being,a creature capable of thought and emotion and not some archaic Bravado pumping deadman.

tkioz

Fussy Fiddler
May 7, 2009
Father Time said:
tkioz said:
Appleshampoo said:

Again if you want to kill yourself to brag about how much of a "real man" you are, you are a massive sucker in my book. Seriously you could throw a child out of the way to get to the boat and you'd still be a real man. If you're a man you'll always be a man unless you modify your body a certain way.
There is a big difference between being a human male and a man. And if you don't understand that, there is not point talking about it with you.

neoontime

I forgot what this was before...
Jul 10, 2009
Yes, not just if they were a woman, just if they looked desperate and looked like they needed to live. Ah, I guess I'm just a sucker till the end.

PayneTrayne

Filled with ReLRRgious fervor.
Dec 17, 2009
No. I don't know who they are, therefore they aren't my problem as much as I am. If it were my wife, or my kids. In a heartbeat they'd get my seat and I'd even fight others to get them a seat.

But random people are not worth saving half as much as my awesome ass is.

Also, noforequalitylol.