Poll: Has a game made you cry?

DarkhoIlow

Dec 31, 2009
From what I can recall from my memory the most recent games that made me cry/tearjerk/shed a mantear were:

Mass Effect 3 on multiple occasions:

Thane - "The prayer was not for me Commander"

Mordin - "I am the very model of a scientist salari...boom"

Tali romance on Rannoch gave me a happy tear jerk.

Walking Dead:

Lee's final scene with Clementine was one of the most sentimental moments that I couldn't stop myself from sobbing all throughout that dialogue.

These are the only ones I remember recently. Nothing wrong with crying when there is an appropriate time for it in certain circumstances, it's only human to do so.

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
Xan Krieger said:
Yopaz said:
Xan Krieger said:
Every Metal Gear Solid game leaves me in tears at some point.

Valkyrie Profile, there's this woman who loves the ocean but her parents died at sea. One day she's down at the ocean and a wave drags her out to sea and she drowns, she had wished to be with her parents and that's how her wish came true.

Final Fantasy X, when Yuna does the sending for the people of Kilika.

Front Mission 3 when your sister sacrifices herself to destroy MIDAS

Fable when I killed my sister to keep the sword, reminded me of my own dead sister and I felt like I had just killed her.
Seriously, use the spoiler tags. You are exposing important plot events here and it's not certain everyone has played the games you are talking about. I have just got Valkyria Chrnocles and now I am going to try to forget what you said about it before I am going to play it. It's a matter of a few extra seconds and you avoid spoiling the games.
I didn't spoil it because the game came out over a decade ago.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valkyrie_Profile
"It was released on December 22, 1999 in Japan and on August 29, 2000 in North America."
That does not mean no-one is going to play it. I played Lufia 2 13 years after it was released for the first time.

If you are going to reveal a major plot event ALWAYS use spoiler tags. Don't care about the age of the game. It should also be noted that you did post Final Fantasy X spoilers, which is spoilers to a game that is being released later this year for those who either missed it the first time around or wants to replay it. So age is no excuse here.

loc978

Sep 18, 2010
Not in quite a number of years, and never out loud... but I do remember back when I was 14 (1995) and playing through Final Fantasy VI for the first time...
I was still reeling from the game's depiction of a magical apocalypse, wondering if the game had outright killed any members of my party, when I failed at a minigame that the game doesn't exactly tell you you're playing... and killed Cid with bad fish... then what appeared to be the last remaining protagonist (who was one of my favorite characters... still is, actually) attempted suicide.

...which covered two ways that I had lost friends in the few years before that: wasting sickness and suicide.
...in short: it wasn't really the game's fault, but it mirrored a couple of recent losses in my life, so I choked up and shed a few tears before wrestling myself back under control. I voted manly tears. Been a long time...

Yopaz said:
I played Lufia 2 13 years after it was released for the first time.
Oh jeebus, that was another one that squeezed manly tears from my teenage self. Dat ending, man... probably the heaviest hitter of its generation.
...okay, I admit it... the choking sensation still shows up a tad when I contemplate the story with this song going. Christ, I beat this game over 15 years ago, the cartridge is practically enshrined.

Xan Krieger

Completely insane
Feb 11, 2009
Yopaz said:
Xan Krieger said:
Yopaz said:
Xan Krieger said:
Every Metal Gear Solid game leaves me in tears at some point.

Valkyrie Profile, there's this woman who loves the ocean but her parents died at sea. One day she's down at the ocean and a wave drags her out to sea and she drowns, she had wished to be with her parents and that's how her wish came true.

Final Fantasy X, when Yuna does the sending for the people of Kilika.

Front Mission 3 when your sister sacrifices herself to destroy MIDAS

Fable when I killed my sister to keep the sword, reminded me of my own dead sister and I felt like I had just killed her.
Seriously, use the spoiler tags. You are exposing important plot events here and it's not certain everyone has played the games you are talking about. I have just got Valkyria Chrnocles and now I am going to try to forget what you said about it before I am going to play it. It's a matter of a few extra seconds and you avoid spoiling the games.
I didn't spoil it because the game came out over a decade ago.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valkyrie_Profile
"It was released on December 22, 1999 in Japan and on August 29, 2000 in North America."
That does not mean no-one is going to play it. I played Lufia 2 13 years after it was released for the first time.

If you are going to reveal a major plot event ALWAYS use spoiler tags. Don't care about the age of the game. It should also be noted that you did post Final Fantasy X spoilers, which is spoilers to a game that is being released later this year for those who either missed it the first time around or wants to replay it. So age is no excuse here.
my apologies, I have since edited the post. I thought after 10 years it was okay. I know not to post spoilers for games that came out within like the past 3 years but I thought a decade was fairly safe.

ATRAYA

Jul 19, 2011
I think Bioshock: Infinite is probably the closest I've come to crying, and yes I've played the Walking Dead/Mass Effect 3/most of the other games listed in the first few posts that people said made them cry. (SPOILER:) When Booker cries out, "Give me back my daughter!" I got pretty misty-eyed.

Gatx

Jul 7, 2011
Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronices Rings of Fate. Inexplicably.

Then the Walking Dead, at multiple points throughout the story, To the Moon (not the ending, but the reveal right before the horribly forced gameplay section).

I.Muir

Jun 26, 2008
I have never found a game to be engaging enough to be worthy of tears
It's just games though as I think I teared up over a book once

dumbseizure

Mar 15, 2009
I just finished To The Moon.

That was a swift and forceful kick to the feelcicles T.T

There was definitely some water works there.

Caiphus

Social Office Corridor
Mar 31, 2010
BloatedGuppy said:
4. Once during Mass Effect 3 (The fleet arrives at Earth).
Really? I wish I'd been as emotionally affected by Mass Effect 3. If someone told me there'd be a dramatic invasion of Earth before I'd started I might've expected to be touched by it.

I wasn't though.

I found the whole thing paced so poorly that it was almost comical. Even with the Arrival DLC from ME2 making the invasion imminent I was all "Really? We're doing this already? I... What? Ok, explosions are happening. And now a kid is dead. That's unfortunate".

And I'm not trying to look like a badass here. I was actually disappointed. I remember trying to convince myself that it was a good dramatic opening because I liked ME2 so damn much. But nope. I just watched it again. Not a fan.

Oh well, different strokes.

To be honest, I disliked the start more than I disliked the ending. Despite there being fewer plot holes. That might make me some sort of anti-christ, but there you have it.

Aug 31, 2012
Kerbal space program. Watching their little faces as they tumbled to their doom. They were so happy and filled with excitement and wonder at going in space, and now it's all gone wrong and they're dead. I'm crying now just thinking about it.

Darks63

Mar 8, 2010
Only two game ever managed to get me close: The walking dead game by telltale and Final fantasy 4. The walking dead game because they really get you to care about Lee and then a series of unfortunate events occur. Final Fantasy 4 the final fight has a moment where you die and then all your friends for the whole game both dead and alive give you energy so you can fight zeromus it was really touching to me.

freaper

snuggere mongool
Apr 3, 2010
Mass Effect 3: the Blue Rose of Ilium gave me chills, Mordin Solus, Legion and the ending ("best seats in the house") made me tear up.

The Walking Dead: y'all know what bit that is.

Bioshock Infinite: by the end I got really attached to Elizabeth -the asylum part, oh boy- that by the time everything was unravelled I had tears welling up. Manly tears though.

FireAza

Aug 16, 2011
To The Moon. Seriously, To The Moon. The story, and the music, you can't help but blubber like a baby.

Sansha

There's a principle in business
Nov 16, 2008
Fallout 3, Point Lookout, Marcella's Last Words.

After literally crying a little bit, I picked up my gun and blew those responsible for her death to pink mist, and then fulfilled her mission.

plugav

Mar 2, 2011
Mass Effect 3 almost made me cry a few times, I was pretty attached to the characters.

BartyMae

Apr 20, 2012
I feel like I have at some point in some place and time, but I'm not entirely sure when, why, or how.

Olas

Hello!
Dec 24, 2011
Yes, at many, many points throughout Majora's Mask, you can probably guess which points.
And also at the end of Windwaker.

I think Super Paper Mario might have made me tearyeyed as well, I can't recall exactly.

I don't think any of the Mass Effect games made me cry, but ME3 came close at points.

V da Mighty Taco

Apr 9, 2011
I don't think I cried at Portal 2's ending, but I know I came close. That ending is still one of the most beautiful things I've ever seen.

VeoKye

Apr 18, 2012
Mass Effect 3 had some moments. They were sad, but not really tear-inducing.

Persona 4 had a few moments of sadness, but quite honestly, the Heaven level really was the hardest I had to keep myself from bawling. The music, and the implications presented (stated directly, really, but I won't blame them for that) really managed to get to me. Only level I ran through at full speed, just trying to get to the top faster.

Persona 3 on the other hand is even worse (or better, I guess) in the sad-stuff-happening-over-and-over department due mostly to its darker tone. Though I loved 4, it's 3 that I consider the better game. Wouldn't want to spoil, but the ending to The Journey is both sad and triumphant.

Bioshock Infinite somehow managed to not actually get me to drop (or even hold back, really) a single tear despite my feeling I probably should have. By the end I had already figured out most of "what" was happening and was just waiting for the game to get to the "how" of it all. I admit however: the asylum part was piercing, but didn't evoke sadness; rather I was just speeding through it to get to the inevitable conclusion. I'll credit that to Elizabeth actually being a likable character. The voxophones spread around that level did hurt a lot, though.

Chrono Trigger had a lot of dark/sad moments, but Schala and Magus were pretty tragic, not to mention Frog and even Robo. And then there was that whole Crono thing, and Lucca's solo dive into the past. Hell even the death of the freaking dinosaurs was sad as hell. For a game that starts all happy, sunshine, rainbows and fun at the fairground, it really turns around in a heartbeat.

Planescape: Torment really has a lot of these moments. But then again, it's Planescape; it's amazing, no need to elaborate.

Mother 3 takes the cake though, having a fun opening with a visit to grandpa's house, then a thrilling fire in the woods, and then the game dials up the pain, sadness, heartbreak and sadness to eleventy. Did I mention it's sad?
The absolute hardest parts are the middle of chapter one, with Flint's reaction to the reveal - that by that point had already become pretty obvious, but was still hanging there (and honestly, the way it's delivered sucker punches you DESPITE knowing it was coming) - the entirety of the extremely short chapter six, and the ending "boss" battle(s), depending on whether you played Earthbound or not. The last battle especially can be seen as the epitome of what good storytellers can do: no 3D, no volumetric fog, no HD textures, no lightning effects and no dynamic shadows. Hell, with the game being on the Gameboy Advance, you couldn't even make out the faces on those 2D sprites! But all the emotions were there; full color, eye-gougingly, tear-jerkingly, heart-rendingly there. Then the ending screen... Damned good game.