Poll: Has a game made you cry?

TKretts3

Jul 20, 2010
Tell Tale's The Walking Dead, much like the show, has made me cry. The first time I finished the game I cried for quite a long time, and it even bummed me out for the rest of the week. Prior to that no video game has ever made me cry. There have been ones that made me sad, or upset, but none that actually caused the tears to flow. The Walking Dead is special because, like the TV Show, it fleshes out it's characters a lot. It gives you time to get to know them, to care about them.

When a character dies it's all the more meaningful because you've known them for so long, you've watched them grow, as a character, in the world present.

Dr. Doomsduck

Nov 24, 2011
MOOOORDINNN!!!!

The first and so far only time I cried during a game. My two brothers were sitting next to me, knowing what would happen,and the fuckers just sat there and laughed. I swear, that one came completely out of the blue to me.

Alakaizer

Aug 1, 2008
IGetNoSlack said:
Once.

inFamous 2's good ending.

No, I haven't played the evil side. The good ending was just..that awesome.
I also cried at the good ending. The bad ending was...difficult, to say the least, but I'm pretty sure I didn't cry at that one.

I can't remember off the top of my head if any other games made me cry, but there have been some powerful moments.

Don't taze me bro

Feb 26, 2009
There have been plenty of sad moments in recent games that have already been mentioned. I have reflected on these moments, but not shed any tears over them. I have picked up The Walking Dead for my iPad, but not played it yet, so that could change.

The only older game I can recall 'really misting up over' was Final Fantasy X, right at the end.

Mykl Klein

Mar 10, 2012
I feel like...
I just don't know, because I'm not particularly eloquent in expressing myself, but
HOT DAMN Crisis Core's ending makes me sad for like, a full day. The entire end sequence just hits me right in the heart, and when the music starts, and "Why" starts playing, it's one of the most well told and heartrending story points that I've ever experienced.

Varrdy

Feb 25, 2010
I'm an emotional soul and Mass Effect 3 had me shedding some man-tears at times. Mordin's sacrifice and the fall of Thessia to name but two moments although the later soon translated to sheer, spitting rage!

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
The Walking Dead's final episode made me cry a few times during the deaths of significant characters. Bioshock 1's good ending made me shed a few tears as did the good ending of Bioshock 2.
saintdane05 said:
Katawa Shoujo. Lilly's path. Good ending.

Happy endings are more likely to make me cry than sad ones.
Damn it man I had just gotten past my Post KatawaShoujo Sadness Disorder >.>.

RedLister

Jun 14, 2011
The walking Dead most recently.....5 times over my playthrough. I mean i read about how the story can hit you but damn! especially at the final 15minites of the game (im sure other players will know exactly what scenes i mean)...Many manly tears was shed that week. Yes before you ask typing this made me consider doing a play through.

Also had a few teary eyed moments in the Mass effect series. May of been a glowy red eyed renegade but deep down i did care about my squad mates.

Fallout 3 and New Vegas endings the Good endings. There is something about the music which plays during the slide show bit which really hits me like a mule.

kordan11

Jul 31, 2008
Properly cried: FFX, at Yunalesca and during the ending. I tear up just by thinking about these scenes. It was my first FF and I think the first game I ever played (and I had played a lot by then) that got me so invested in the story and characters.

Teared up: Kingdom Hearts (every single damn one), To The Moon, Mass Effect 3, other FFs (most notably VI and IX).

bafrali

Mar 6, 2012
Bastion' ending really messed me up like I am glad there was no ne else around to see it.

Also I still can't bring myself to see the ending to the Episode 2 after the first time. I quit right before the elevator.

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
Xan Krieger said:
Yopaz said:
Xan Krieger said:
Yopaz said:
Xan Krieger said:
Every Metal Gear Solid game leaves me in tears at some point.

Valkyrie Profile, there's this woman who loves the ocean but her parents died at sea. One day she's down at the ocean and a wave drags her out to sea and she drowns, she had wished to be with her parents and that's how her wish came true.

Final Fantasy X, when Yuna does the sending for the people of Kilika.

Front Mission 3 when your sister sacrifices herself to destroy MIDAS

Fable when I killed my sister to keep the sword, reminded me of my own dead sister and I felt like I had just killed her.
Seriously, use the spoiler tags. You are exposing important plot events here and it's not certain everyone has played the games you are talking about. I have just got Valkyria Chrnocles and now I am going to try to forget what you said about it before I am going to play it. It's a matter of a few extra seconds and you avoid spoiling the games.
I didn't spoil it because the game came out over a decade ago.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valkyrie_Profile
"It was released on December 22, 1999 in Japan and on August 29, 2000 in North America."
That does not mean no-one is going to play it. I played Lufia 2 13 years after it was released for the first time.

If you are going to reveal a major plot event ALWAYS use spoiler tags. Don't care about the age of the game. It should also be noted that you did post Final Fantasy X spoilers, which is spoilers to a game that is being released later this year for those who either missed it the first time around or wants to replay it. So age is no excuse here.
my apologies, I have since edited the post. I thought after 10 years it was okay. I know not to post spoilers for games that came out within like the past 3 years but I thought a decade was fairly safe.
Yeah, it's fair to assume that no-one is going to play a decade old game, especially with console games that you can't actually play on any of the current systems. I apologize if I came across as rude, it's just that there has been so many blatant spoilers without spoiler tags lately.

Darkasassin96

Oct 25, 2011
Assassins creed 3, both when Connor killed Charles Lee and when he killed his father. Both scenes were perfectly done and showed how reluctant he was to do it. The scene with Charles Lee really got to me, reminded me fo the shooting scene in Road to Perdition, I also cried during that scene. Neither of them wanted what was about to happen to happen but they both new that it had to be done. Haythams speech was pretty good too.

BloatedGuppy

Feb 3, 2010
Caiphus said:
Really? I wish I'd been as emotionally affected by Mass Effect 3.
ME3 is a deeply flawed game absolutely riddled with problems, but it is not without moments of emotional catharsis. Sadly, one of those moments isn't the actual ending, but what can you do?

Fleets arriving at earth is pretty much the closest thing to a proper thematic climax the games had.

Hemlock

Mar 4, 2013
The only games that made me cry is Katawa Shoujo and the entire Pokemon Mystery Dungeon series.

karma9308

Jan 26, 2013
Trying to count the times made me realize I'm kinda a cry baby lol.
Mass Effect 3 several times.
Mordin is the only time I've cried with a smile on my face. I still tear up and smile thinking about it. Blue Rose of Illium felt like a kick in the quad. Ouch that one hurt. I saw the Tali death scene online and that did it. Don't know if that counts, but I'll still put that in.

The Walking Dead...the moment is pretty damn obvious to those who've played it.

Some moments in Chronotrigger: Most of the scenes with Frog or Robo and some with Janus. I still remembering getting mad at the game for getting me to care about Robo.

Final Fantasy VI:
The Opera scene of course got me. I still get teary hearing the opera in my head but it was nowhere near a certain scene in the game involving Celes...oh poor Celes. I still want to cry just hearing her theme song which is sad on it's own. (here for reference because it's awesome: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gxF__3CNrsU&feature=related)

Bioshock 2: Honestly I accidentally harvested a little sister and it drove me to tears. They reminded me so much of my own sister. Who was of similar age and voice to them. At the time some events were going on that made it even worse.

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
I've misted up in several games, maybe not to the extent of tears actually rolling down my cheeks

roushutsu

Mar 14, 2012
The good endings to Bioshock 1 and 2, Journey, and the Walking Dead have all made me shed tears. Journey is the odd one because it's moreso the music that gets me, winding down as you (and your partner if you've got one) walk into the light. It's so simple, yet so beautiful. The others got me because of what happens to the characters and everything coming full circle.

Aug 19, 2010
Surprisingly, no, and i've played most games listed here.

also, some of you really need the concept of a spoiler explained to you.
Seriously, fuck this thread the lack of spoiler tags in some posts.