Poll: How Do You Justify Music Piracy?

tokae

Mar 21, 2011
tokae said:
Tipsy Giant said:
(Snipping ya'know)

Just did, it is my actual 10,000 word dissertation but it covers alternatives to the current system as well as explaining it.
Hope it is helpful.

I just started reading, this will be interesting. :)

I just finished reading, and I just have to say: That was great!
It was a fascinating and interesting read.
In my opinion, It's nothing more (or less) than the truth.
All the vital issues that seems to go ignored.
A tip of the hat to thee.

Dolos

Mar 10, 2011
kind of hypocritical here (I do pirate stuff) but piracy is wrong. the only time it would be fine would be if the game is no longer out and you cant find a copy. every other time its stealing.

KnowYourOnion

Jul 6, 2009
Tipsy Giant said:
KnowYourOnion said:
If i like the band's music I go out and watch them play, maybe twice if i can, then i buy their t-shirt. This way I can make sure the band gets as much money as possible!
This is the best thing you can do for an artist, good on you sir!

Our band is just uploading our own music to torrents and hoping the buzz gets us some attendance at gigs.
I'm in a band too, I'd rather people came to our gigs and downloaded our music for free than the other way around :)

Link me to your music if you want, it'd be awesome to hear :)

Conza

Nov 7, 2010
Hate the poll, could've at least left Yes/No.

While I'm sure no one condones theft, musicians (reasonable and rational, even if not successful ones) must account for some margin of piracy within their projected sales targets.

Remember, they don't just get money from CD purchasers and iTunes subscribers, they also sell concert tickets, make paid appearances on television and in public venues, not to mention those that use their music in other mediums such as film and television commercials.

So, you justify it by the fact that no one has a CD player anymore (dedicated device), with the exception possibly being in your car, but even they use MP3 players now, everyone has MP3s, and players for them, and the only outlet to buy MP3s is run by the evil Apple!
If Amazon would get their act together, and release their MP3 store to the world, or if Android twigged they could make a lot of money from it, I'd love to buy plenty of music, perhaps even hundreds of dollars worth, but I refuse to use Apple's "you're an idiot, do as we tell you" technology, so for now I rip my old CDs, have songs on here I didn't download, but I have no idea who gave them to me, and when a song comes out that I'm really really interested to listen to, I use YouTube and grab it from there.

It's that simple, if the market doesn't capture its consumers well enough, the black market wins.

Tipsy Giant

May 10, 2010
KnowYourOnion said:
Tipsy Giant said:
KnowYourOnion said:
If i like the band's music I go out and watch them play, maybe twice if i can, then i buy their t-shirt. This way I can make sure the band gets as much money as possible!

Our band is just uploading our own music to torrents and hoping the buzz gets us some attendance at gigs.
I'm in a band too, I'd rather people came to our gigs and downloaded our music for free than the other way around :)

this is us rehearsing for our first show, which will be up on youtube soon.

you got any stuff to check out?

Tipsy Giant

May 10, 2010
tokae said:
tokae said:
Tipsy Giant said:
(Snipping ya'know)

Just did, it is my actual 10,000 word dissertation but it covers alternatives to the current system as well as explaining it.
Hope it is helpful.

I just started reading, this will be interesting. :)

I just finished reading, and I just have to say: That was great!
It was a fascinating and interesting read.
In my opinion, It's nothing more (or less) than the truth.
All the vital issues that seems to go ignored.
A tip of the hat to thee.
Cheers man, thanks for reading it, glad it was informative :D

KnowYourOnion

Jul 6, 2009
Tipsy Giant said:
KnowYourOnion said:
Tipsy Giant said:
KnowYourOnion said:

this is us rehearsing for our first show, which will be up on youtube soon.

you got any stuff to check out?
That's pretty cool dude, i like it :)

http://www.facebook.com/pages/No-More-Heroes/152363408112094?sk=info

that's my current band, I'm one of the guitarists :)

please ignore the ballsed up bit at the end of our song..........writing the ending riff while recording was probably not the best idea we've had :p

Furious Styles

Jul 10, 2010
If they're good I'll go see them live, they'll probably make more money that way. There are numerous artists I would not have downloaded if I had to pay what the record companies want us to pay, and then would not have gone to see them live and they would have gotten precisely none of my money.

Of course, that only works if they come to near where I live.

Also, watch the South Park episode called Christian Rock Hard. It sums it up pretty nicely.

GGZeta

Mar 11, 2011
I don't pirate, so I don't have to bother justifying it. The worst things we do is passing around mix cds which are probably about as illegal as recording the radio or taping stuff on your VCR. Which, by the way, was and is actually illegal (in the USA anyway).

Tipsy Giant

May 10, 2010
KnowYourOnion said:
That's pretty cool dude, i like it :)

http://www.facebook.com/pages/No-More-Heroes/152363408112094?sk=info

that's my current band, I'm one of the guitarists :)

please ignore the ballsed up bit at the end of our song..........writing the ending riff while recording was probably not the best idea we've had :p
Good stuff dude, reminds me of early bloc party a little.

What do you guys use to record yourselves? (hard/software)

Fawcks

May 10, 2010
I listen to Techno almost exclusively anyway. Most of the tracks I listen to that aren't techno are soundtrack songs from anime and games that is not available in America, so yeah, I pirate it. Either that or try to find the soundtracks and find nothing. I've bought anime soundtracks before, but seriously, try and find me a reasonably priced import of "Sound Duel", any volume. I'm not gonna pay 60$ for a soundtrack, that's the nuts.

For my techno fix, the artist Renard offers a large number of tracks for free, which I enjoy, and otherwise his albums are extremely reasonably priced. So I partake in the free samples, pay for the stuff I want that isn't free.

smithy_2045

Jan 30, 2008
I try to go to the shows of the bands I like because I've downloaded their music. The main reason I don't buy CDs is because I don't have the money to.

TJF588

Jan 29, 2009
Me personally? A mix of "not available here" and "I buy what it was made for" (much of my library is VG soundtracks), with a hint of "it's just one of their songs".

However, thinking about it, I don't have (or, if I do, didn't get new, though those cases it's prolly mostly that it wasn't available "new" new at the time) some of those games, and much of what's not soundtracks are what my friend has introduced me to (though he goes out and buys any new releases of bands he likes).

I have a lot of catching up to do, but when it comes to game soundtracks that aren't CD-based releases from big companies (namely SQEX, in this case), I'll cough up the dough if they're not free (Bandcamp is a best of both worlds, in this case, since I can still stream 'em even though I don't have a download link). And then there's the games that come with soundtracks (my second biggest hook after swag (real or digital))... Thank you, Atlus and XSEED. You guys are the big runners in making it easy for us to enjoy your tunes without feeling so damn guilty about it.

Ah, I have a lot of Dream Theater to catch up on. Have their and Rhapsody Of Fire's greatest hits (well, "Hit", in DT's case) album physically, but access to their broader range of work. With Amazon's Cloud Drive and the incentive to purchase from them digitally (digital purchases opted for the Cloud don't take up any of the allotted space), it's just a matter of 1) Do they have what I want, and 2) Do I want the tactile goodness of a case and booklet (which, for The Protomen, was a serious YES)?

Eh, I'll stop typing now. Not that anyone really cares (except maybe the people I wouldn't want to know).

...for conscience's sake, here are some of my major players whom I have a lot of making up to do for:
Ayreon (namely for The Human Equation)
Dream Theater
Nightwish
Rhapsody Of Fire
Go check 'em out. They deserve attentions.

Nigh Invulnerable

Jan 5, 2009
I say it should be okay to download it free and have access to the music for a week so I can see if I like it enough to pay some actual money for it. Heck, if the music industry was smart they'd charge $.50 for a week's access and then a further $10 or so to actually buy the album after that. I know I check out music, delete everything I turn out to not enjoy, and then purchase what I do like.

Mr. Fancy Pants

May 7, 2011
I really don't care that I'm stealing. I've stolen much more valuable things so I'm not gonna feel guilty for nicking some music.

ZombieGenesis

Apr 15, 2009
I don't think it can be, however it a certain item is unavailable for legal purchase, I think its okay. My mother actually had an issue recently, someone was raging at her for downloading a knitting pattern (of all things) but the pattern no longer exists in printed format. She even asked the guy who MADE it.
Even he can't get a hold of one. So downloading was the only other option.

Or when you own the item, but don't have access to it where you are. Like if you have the entire album of like...Iunno, Paramore or something... at home in the attic, but you just moved half way across the country and want to listen to it. I say, you should have the right to. But that's just my opinion (the fact I major in Contract Law has no sway)

Mudkipith

May 11, 2011
I usually pirate albums before I buy them the same way I rent games before I buy them. Have you heard the crap bands are releasing these days?