Poll: How Do You Justify Music Piracy?

JordanDH

Oct 22, 2008
tokae said:
Tipsy Giant said:
haddaway234 said:
It is fine to pirate music, because artists make no money from record sales and record companies are just terrible loan operators who screw over artists and make billions off their hard work.

So i'd rather noone makes cash than they do.

If you are really interested in the subject I wrote my dissertation on this, I can easily PM you it.
If you don't mind me asking, could you PM it to me?
I am interested in the topic, I just can't stand how it's discussed.
Mainly because everybody just steps around the one argument that could be finite, the one you mentioned in that post.
I'd also like to read this.

I buy merch, gig tickets, and I buy CDs from unsigned acts. Also, piracy isn't theft. It's piracy. Except it's not really piracy. It's illegal copying of data. There are very few pirates involved.

KnowYourOnion

Jul 6, 2009
Tipsy Giant said:
KnowYourOnion said:
That's pretty cool dude, i like it :)

http://www.facebook.com/pages/No-More-Heroes/152363408112094?sk=info

that's my current band, I'm one of the guitarists :)

please ignore the ballsed up bit at the end of our song..........writing the ending riff while recording was probably not the best idea we've had :p
Good stuff dude, reminds me of early bloc party a little.

What do you guys use to record yourselves? (hard/software)
Thanks the other guitarist will love that comparison, he may even dribble a little bit :p We recorded at my college on a 5 mics. A couple of SM 58s, 57s and one Rode Condenser all into a Mac running Cubase (we DI'ed the lead guitar and bass) and then I mixed it on the latest version of Cubase on my Home PC :) hope that helps!

lobster1077

Feb 7, 2011
Sightless Wisdom said:
I love music, it's the best thing about my life. If I couldn't listen to music, I would actually kill myself. I pirate music simply because I could never afford to buy even half the music I want. Now I also play music, I am in a band and we are going to release music for sale. However, we're not releasing it for a set price, it's a pay what you want deal with the option for 0$ and the incentive of an 8$ version with a lot of bonus content. The reason we're doing this is because we all love music and we'd much rather have people hear our music for free than never hear it because of lack of money. I think any musician who really appreciates music would tell you they really just want their fans to hear what they're doing. There are exceptions, but most of those fall into the category of musicians who really don't need the money that they're "losing" to piracy.
Ah cool, sounds kinda similar to what Radiohead did a few years ago, when they offered their new album for whatever price each fan felt it was worth. Cool thing is it netted them more money than any earlier standard releases.

Worr Monger

Jan 21, 2008
I always tend to think that Music damn near pirates itself. You can pretty much listen to any song on Youtube. And I'm sure you can just use Google and find music at various other outlets.

The simplicity of audio...

When it comes to piracy, music receives the LEAST amount of sympathy from me... Whatever keeps the Justin Biebers of the world in check.. I'm fine with. They can make money through other means anyway... like tours... or the (unfortunate) inevitable film career.

lobster1077

Feb 7, 2011
haddaway234 said:
So I read that article on anonymous and Gene Simmons, and apparently they (Anonymous isn't really a group, just a bunch of unrelated guys who think its cool to go under the same name) are mad at Gene Simmons for wanting to sue everyone who pirates music, but honestly, I think this would be a good idea. Maybe not everyone, but people who distribute pirated music, sue a bunch of them, and then that will send a good message.

I understand that many musicians are rich and don't 'need' all the money they get but what about newer artists who are just starting out? How about the many people involved in the music making process, there are many people who need to be paid and a lot of people in the music industry have lost their jobs because of piracy.

Also, from the point of view of some guy on a computer, I'm sure its easy to say "I wouldn't care" but if you were really a musician, you would care that people are taking your music which many artists consider a part of them that they spent a LOT of time on, and then people just steal it.

So I wanted to know, with my reasoning in mind, how is piracy of music (We are just talking music) justified and made okay? Do you feel 'entitled' to somebody else's work?

NOTE: I'm not sure how to delete a poll so I just changed it to have no real options because the only thing a poll did was have people answer with no reasoning whatsoever.
Well, any recognized music artists make significantly more than I do, thats more than enough justification for me. Why pay for the pleasure when you don't have to?, unless you're bound by morals and such.

Tipsy Giant

May 10, 2010
KnowYourOnion said:
Thanks the other guitarist will love that comparison, he may even dribble a little bit :p We recorded at my college on a 5 mics. A couple of SM 58s, 57s and one Rode Condenser all into a Mac running Cubase (we DI'ed the lead guitar and bass) and then I mixed it on the latest version of Cubase on my Home PC :) hope that helps!
Cool, i'm just a bit geeky about it, we use pretty much the same set up but with an MBOX for the inputs and logic for the mixing etc

Tipsy Giant

May 10, 2010
JordanDH said:
tokae said:
Tipsy Giant said:
haddaway234 said:
It is fine to pirate music, because artists make no money from record sales and record companies are just terrible loan operators who screw over artists and make billions off their hard work.

So i'd rather noone makes cash than they do.

If you are really interested in the subject I wrote my dissertation on this, I can easily PM you it.
If you don't mind me asking, could you PM it to me?
I am interested in the topic, I just can't stand how it's discussed.
Mainly because everybody just steps around the one argument that could be finite, the one you mentioned in that post.
I'd also like to read this.

I buy merch, gig tickets, and I buy CDs from unsigned acts. Also, piracy isn't theft. It's piracy. Except it's not really piracy. It's illegal copying of data. There are very few pirates involved.
Check yo messages for the dissertation

Kahunaburger

May 6, 2011
Honestly, piracy is not the main threat the music industry faces right now. That would go to stuff like iTunes - people buying songs a la carte is a lot less profitable than people buying CDs.

Francis Metherell

May 11, 2011
I haven't "pirated" albums for a good decade now, because I a) barely have the cash to actually eat every month, and b) tend to stick all songs that I like on Youtube on a playlist.

In addition, the vast majority of music I hear nowadays is talentless, factory-created, derivative crap, so if I was to do any YARRing, then I'd only get by-the-numbers crap.

All the music I listen to is already on CD and I Youtube it. And when a band I like releases something new, like if NIN released an album, I'd wait until I had a mini-windfall then go buy that sucka.

Kahunaburger

May 6, 2011
Spot1990 said:
Kahunaburger said:
Honestly, piracy is not the main threat the music industry faces right now. That would go to stuff like iTunes - people buying songs a la carte is a lot less profitable than people buying CDs.
How so? Not trying to dispute it honestly asking. I'd have thought digital would have lower production costs.
Yeah, I'm pretty sure it does, too. The issue is that for a long time the business model was that if I want to a few songs by one musician, I drop $10-20 for a CD, most of which is full of songs I wouldn't buy by themselves. Now it just costs a few dollars to get the same amount of content.

Mute52

Sep 22, 2009
I don't, i know that when/if i pirate music, or even any media form. The artist that worked so hard to create it didn't get anything. I feel really bad, so if it's an artist i really like, i get it from iTunes to support them.

I remember earlier this year my art teacher was showing off to our class how he "Jailbroke" his iPhone and he could get any App he wanted for free. I remember i told him in front of everyone "Imagine if the art you work so hard to create is taken from you by tons of people and you receive nothing for your work." That shut him up.

SinisterGehe

May 19, 2009
I would be OK if the artist would really benefit from the lawsuits, but when someone pirates they aren't stealing from the artist they are stealing from the record label.

Well, if I need to come up with a justification for piracy - I would go with (Even tho I don't really completely support this idea):
"Art and culture are creations that are made by every human on earth and every being on earth generates and supports culture. Fot one to not share freely that what is not completely created by him, music for example. Our understanding of music and its components (Notes, sounds, rythms and themes) have been defined by every being on earth. Why should something that everyone has helped to build only belong to a single being."

NOTE: I MYSELF DO NOT SUPPORT THIS IDEA, BUT IF I HAD TO COME UP WITH A JUSTIFICATION. I WOULD USE THIS!!!

Recaprha:
Flute arripeqiio

Shadow-Phoenix

Mar 22, 2010
I dunno i don't like it sometimes when i buy a cd for the first time and then end up only liking one song out of the whole album and then feel cheated out on the money and no i don't like using Itunes or any other online music site i'm oldschool going into the store to check the tunes kind of guy.

Shadow-Phoenix

Mar 22, 2010
I dunno i don't like it sometimes when i buy a cd for the first time and then end up only liking one song out of the whole album and then feel cheated out on the money and no i don't like using Itunes or any other online music site i'm oldschool going into the store to check the tunes kind of guy.