Poll: How Happy Are You Being Single?

Jan 13, 2012
Im not like some people I know who cant go five seconds without human interaction. I like being by myself, in fact I prefer it and besides when my friends are in their cute little relationships (makes me want to puke) I cant help but laugh at when they allegedly "break" their hearts, this infact happened a few days ago and friend called me a heartless bastard and said it was because I cant get any to which i replied "This is coming from the person thats crying like a little *****" (I know im cold, deal with it).

OT yes I am incredibly happy being single (less of a burden on my wallet and what little emotions I have)

Brown Cap

Jan 6, 2009
Nope. Not One Bit. I try so hard to be myself, or to impress people, or to be sensitive, or to be insensitive, but girls always seem to care for the hot/buff guys. They only seem to be attracted by sensitive guys that are ALSO manly-men or people who can sing (for example, Juanes or Enrique Iglesias)
I write poetry, I play guitar, I'm a black belt, and I've got straight A's. But nope, nobody could give a shit about me. I feel pretty friggin unappreciated actually.
I try pretty hard to get people to like me. I'm great a making friends, but not relationships. I don't get it. I hate being single.

Eisenfaust

Two horses in a man costume
Apr 20, 2009
before my current relationship, a product more of the avoidance of imposition more than anything, i was quite happy being single... and now... bah!

TheMyffic

May 3, 2011
I'm srsly HOT STUFF! But keeping it all to myself.

Muwhahahahahahahaha!

Bye Bye Ladies ;)

JemothSkarii

Thanks!
Nov 9, 2010
Razada said:
JemothSkarii said:
I'm stuck between a rock and a big stick with 'Fuck You' carved in it. Still soul despairingly missing my ex after a few months; found out about a week ago my 'best friend' (who believed he was gay) has been going out with her shortly after we broke up, and even then I believe they had feelings for each other while I was with her. Meanwhile, I'm falling for another friend's sister who doesn't trust guys or wants a boyfriend, and effectively sees me as a brother. but gives off mixed signals...Whenever I start getting better something new about the ex pops up and knocks me down again.

So am I happy with being single? Not really...but I kinda just wanna be Forever Alone right now....now to end this sad post with a sad quote...

"Have you ever been in love? Horrible isn't it? It makes you so vulnerable. It opens your chest and it opens up your heart and it means someone can get inside you and mess you up. You build up all these defenses. You build up a whole armor, for years, so nothing can hurt you, then one stupid person, no different from any other stupid person, wanders into your stupid life... You give them a piece of you. They didn't ask for it. They did something dumb one day, like kiss you or smile at you, and then your life isn't your own anymore. Love takes hostages. It gets inside you. It eats you out and leaves you crying in the darkness, so simple a phrase like 'maybe we should be just friends' or 'how very perceptive' turns into a glass splinter working its way into your heart. It hurts. Not just in the imagination. Not just in the mind. It's a soul-hurt, a body-hurt, a real gets-inside-you-and-rips-you-apart pain. Nothing should be able to do that. Especially not love. I hate love." - Neil Gaiman
I love Neil Gaiman.

Oh, and it gets better. Eventually you just become numb to your ex's. My ex fiance is with my ex girlfriend. Yes, you read that right.

Time doesn't heal all wounds. But it makes them much easier to ignore, it helps you work out what the painful triggers are and avoid them forever more. Like I try and avoid talking to lesbians. Not because I am homophobic (I am bisexual, would be rather ironic if I was also a homophobe) but simply because they remind me of my ex-fiance. Oh, and ballet dancers. I avoid them too. Same reason.

Perhaps you should do what I did... Cut them out of your life. Its easy enough in this day and age. Delete (And block) on FB, Delete (And block) on MSN (Or equivalent), delete (and bar) the number from your phone (Or get a new phone). Explain to people that you no longer want to hear anything about them.

It helps. Keeps them off your mind. Gives you the space you need.

Oh, and the final stage of escaping my past that I went through was flying 5,500 miles away and living in a desert for 6 months. I moved home but to a different city, still have more than 200 miles between me and those two and I would not have it any other way. Although that might be a tad extreme for you.
Heh, thanks...wish I could move away, since he lives 10 minutes away from me. Knew the girl for 6 years, him for 3 or 4, he lied to my face about going out with her and she'd been unfaithful to me a few times (mainly out of naivety in thought). So I have lots of triggers, after blocking them, my friend called me and screamed at me because I'm his only friend, tried to change his story. Being a somewhat old-fashioned romantic living in a small town, I'm having a difficult time moving forward.

But really, thanks for speaking up.

xvbones

Oct 29, 2009
Jacco said:
So I've been single for a long time and up until recently, I was content to be so. I won't say happy, but content. Anyway, this girl I met in a class I took caught my attention when I began chatting with her on Facebook and as we were talking, the subject of relationships came up.
I thought she had a boyfriend but it turned out she didn't and she made a point of telling me she was single and then made another point of telling me she was happy as such because she'd been in a solid string of them since she was 15 (we're 21).

That got me thinking. Is anyone REALLY happy to be single? Or is it just an excuse they tell themselves to justify not being in a relationship? I can't understand that anyone would be happy to be single. And if one was truly happy being single, then why would they ever say yes to a date?
Well. I don't know her at all, but i have heard those phrases together plenty of times: 'single and quite happy about it' means, in my experience, one of precisely two things:
1)'i am getting laid just fine and am pleased with not being tied to a single person.'
2)'you seem like a nice fellow, but i am not interested in dating you'

Again, I don't know her, and she could be being sincere, and that she really is quite happy about not being in a committed relationship, especially if her last one sucked before it ended.

I was quite fine with being single for three years.

It didn't mean I didn't have companionship, just that I didn't have to share the covers most nights.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
Personally, I'm unhappy when I'm alone. Sure, there are benefits to being single such as being able to flirt with everybody you want and, talk openly about the ways in which you would ravage (insert name here) but that doesn't go over so well when there's a significant other around (unless s/he's into that sort of thing, with that same person in which case BRO-FIST) At the moment though I'm in a relationship and, am extremely happy about it! We're not living together yet but it's coming and I can't freaking wait x3!! I've been through a few other relationships and they weren't all great though so it all depends on who you find really.

As for people who claim to be happy single: it can happen. I was happy when I was single for a while and, my childhood kicked a little ass. I wouldn't go back to being single though, if given the choice.

Enverex

Oct 6, 2010
Unhappy. Not out of choice; apparently I'm no-one's "type", I just make up the background noise.

Sprinal

Jan 27, 2010
To be honest I think the poll kind of needs a "both" option. I am happy yet sad at once. Wierd but it just is.
Sure I could go with a relationship but most of the women I ever meet are really difficult, conservative, boring, dumb or really jsut normal. The problem is; is that my taste in women excludes almost all the ones I see (even most of the good looking ones). So as a result I don't have one.

SO I suppose the answer is that I am content. Yet I would like a girlfriend, but I am not desperate enough to go for the first one I saw. Sure they could be friends. But that is not what I am considering.

SckizoBoy

Ineptly Chaotic
Legacy
Jan 6, 2011
A Hermit's Cave
*sigh* Good grief...

I... just don't know. I've had three relationships and none of them went well. Unfortunately, these days I question myself every time I encounter a girl I feel as though there's a chance I might get to like (see what I did there?!). I question it so damned much that all liking I might've thought that I had (and again...) is gone. What do I question? Well, everything, first and foremost being the obvious: do I even like this person?! If ever there was a question that fucks things up, it's that one. Even if I can answer with a 'yes', a myriad of questions arise concerning my competence, when I should reveal my frailties, when I should talk about previous relationships, can she convince me to forgive... what if my ex reappears, 'cos unlike most others, I'm still in love with her and she has never given me a reason not to be.

I've never been hurt by a girl (girlfriend, ex-girlfriend and otherwise), and I guess I'm lucky in that way. Maybe not because that puts me in such a position that I have hurt a few girls quite a few times and have been hurt many times because of said girls, just not by them. Being single has freed me from all of that, but there are many things I miss about being in a relationship. One of them is being able to cry and be comforted by one who will not judge. And it being so close to Valentine's Day is one of the things I miss most.

And you know what happens, you end up comparing them all: your exes; your other half; the people you genuinely like; the people you just want to shag. Maybe I'm being melodramatic, but I really feel as though I've let 'the one' slip through, but you know what? I was rarely happy with her. She was rarely happy with me. And I mean 'happy' in the... 'traditional' sense. But it worked, and were it not for dumb bad luck, we might still be together... married with a three year old daughter.

So, I guess I'm not happy, but I doubt I'd be happy in a relationship either, because then, I would have someone with whom to share my despair.

WaReloaded

Jan 20, 2011
I used to like/love being single, and then I got engaged, and now I'm single again. I miss my fiancée. Apart from that, I don't really have anything else to say.

cerealnmuffin

May 15, 2010
I hated being single. I lean more towards asexuality as I never had a sex drive, but when I was single I really wanted that connection with someone. Now I am dating and have been for almost 5 years. But the problem is that I'm into girls and am seeing a guy now (I'm a girl btw) He would be perfect except for the being a guy part. First I thought I was bi, but I'm really not into guys in the least. I really want a girlfriend, but I worry about ending up alone so I pretend I'm straight and been feeling more and more empty. My dreams sometimes involve being with a girl and I'm really sad when I wake up. The only girls who are into me are super loud extraverts who find my really quiet, awkward shy nature endearing... yet my type is the quiet type like me. Rambling, didn't mean to write this much but I hadn't realized how much this has been eating me up. I sometimes cry by myself after sex because I can't get into it.

Buffoon

Sep 21, 2008
I'm a pretty selfish person in a lot of ways, I love having my own space and freedom from obligation. I would be willing to give that up for the right girl, but she'd have to be really right for me. And I for her, naturally.

necromanzer52

Mar 19, 2009
Well, as someone who's been single for 18 years, and counting, I am honestly very bitter about it at this point.

I'm alright though. Surely someone will come along sooner or later...right?

JoJo

and the Amazing Technicolour Dream Goat 🐐
Legacy
Mar 31, 2010
Country
🇬🇧
I'm currently single and have been for a couple of years and at the moment I'm happy with it. Being at uni I just feel my life is too busy and changeable to support a relationship, I'll admit last year I asked a girl I liked out but sadly she wasn't interested and since then I've decided to concentrate on my studies. Call me old-fashioned but I'm more into the idea of aiming for a stable family life and I'm not particularly interested for personal reasons in sex, so I think I'll survive waiting until I'm 21 and have a proper job before I jump into the dating game.

DarkRyter

Dec 15, 2008
I've come to terms with the face that I'm gonna be alone.

I made my peace a long time ago.

getoffmycloud

Jun 13, 2011
I have been single for a couple of years now and it would be nice to not be single for once and I am a bit unhappy about it now but that's only started recently before that I was fine with being single