Poll: How intelligent do you consider yourself

DaJoW

Aug 17, 2010
Average, on the whole. Above average in some fields, below average in others - just like anyone else really.

Hamish Durie

Apr 30, 2011
using big words to fool people into thinking that my thinking capacity heavily outweighs theirs
NEVER ceases to be fun

slightly above average

archaicmalevolence

Jul 16, 2010
I guess decently intelligent, as I can do very well in school, and deal with most problems that may occur. I also taught myself how to read at a high level starting at age 5.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
Michael Howard said:
*EDIT* Intelligence is measured by your ability to learn, not how much you know.
That's not actually true, even though most people seem to think it is. Intelligence measured in IQ tests is called logical-mathematical intelligence, and it deals with problem solving. Sure you can say that learning how to solve problems is a form of intelligence, it's memory intelligence. But truly intelligent people can solve problems they never encountered before faster than people who just learn fast. People who learn fast will first try to solve a new problem by using the already existing knowledge. Truly intelligent people won't need any previous knowledge.

DeltaEdge

May 21, 2010
Adam Jensen said:
Michael Howard said:
*EDIT* Intelligence is measured by your ability to learn, not how much you know.
That's not actually true, even though most people seem to think it is. Intelligence measured in IQ tests is called logical-mathematical intelligence, and it deals with problem solving. Sure you can say that learning how to solve problems is a form of intelligence, it's memory intelligence. But truly intelligent people can solve problems they never encountered before faster than people who just learn fast. People who learn fast will first try to solve a new problem by using the already existing knowledge. Truly intelligent people won't need any previous knowledge.
Dictionary.com definition-
in·tel·li·gence
   [in-tel-i-juhns] Show IPA
noun
capacity for learning, reasoning, understanding, and similar forms of mental activity; aptitude in grasping truths, relationships, facts, meanings, etc.
I could have worded it better, but I meant it like this.
In other words, ability to learn and the reasoning and understanding and such. And people who learn well don't necessarily learn fast. It's about how well you understand it after learning it, not how quickly you learned it.

Malrock

Dec 18, 2010
Ehh kind of intelligent.

On the one hand I have an IQ of 168 (I'm in mensa), but unfortunatly that is offset with a very short attention span. If I am not interested, I will zone out completely.

Fortunately I have found a career I find interesting lol so it's not all bad.

StormShaun

The Basement has been unleashed!
Feb 1, 2009
I'm kind of intelligent, well in a non logical sense, I hate and am bad at maths.

Also, why, because I do quite a load of intelligent thinking with life, people and etc.

For example. I run many scenarios of what-if this happens or if this happens, I wouldn't do it here, I usually do it in situations where I'm desperate, such as where is my best friend, I scan the environment (The outside of his house) and compare it with him, then I run the possibilities that would happen, it's a weird ability.

So I would say kind of but I tend to hide it due to my personality and laziness.

Scarecrow

Jun 27, 2010
I think I'm pretty smart. People tell me I'm smart, and I'm not modest to not accept it. So...yeah...

poleboy

May 19, 2008
Intelligence is a social construction. We just barely understand how some parts of our brains work, and we think we can measure something as intangible as intelligence? Please.

Smart people realize that at best, you can pick up the knowledge that makes society brand you as smart, or even a genius. Even if you have a very rare talent for something, like languages or math, you'll probably never be a great racecar-driver or a mason as well. Smart people realize that co-operation between people can always yield greater results, because one of humanity's greatest talents is pooling our collective resources and intellect towards a common goal. It's just a shame we do it so rarely.

SckizoBoy

Ineptly Chaotic
Legacy
Jan 6, 2011
A Hermit's Cave
Emotional intelligence... yes, I freely admit that my EI is high, regardless of which model you use.

StrixMaxima said:
Intelligent enough to not care about it.
Akytalusia said:
other: i consider my intelligence to be 'insufficient'. where it stands against others is irrelevant.
Why weren't these quoted more?! (Especially [user]StrixMaxima[/user])

jagula_sector said:
Hey escapist community, I've been wondering how intelligent do you all consider yourself to be, and please, be honest. Additionally, if you so please, post why you consider yourself to be of that level of intelligence.

I personally believe I'm somewhere inbetween the ehh kinda intelligent and fucking holy shit intelligent. The reason why I believe this is because throughout my time in school I scored many 100%s on the standarized tests we took yearly, read at the level of a high school graduate when I was about 11, and tested at an iq of 134.

Thanks for sharing everyone!
See, school results and stuff makes little difference: I did GCSE maths (passed with A*) and A-level maths (passed with B) both six years early and am a double Masters of chemistry and biology... and yet, why do I find myself among the dumbest of my acquaintance? My sister's 30th birthday party (her boyfriend's niece notwithstanding) was (upon inspection of the guestlist) a potential dickwaving competition of 'how many letters do you have after your name'. I lost with just eight, my sister had twenty-two (she now has twenty-six). My old man has thirty...

Now, the question we ask is: 'do we care?' (We ask as we express complete and utter contempt for MENSA...)

i.e.

gmaverick019 said:
so yeah, we can sit here and flop e-penis's around all day by who got what on what score/test, but it won't actually matter/do anything.
Therefore, do I consider myself intelligent? No, I'm a fucking retard, what do you think?!

Sacman said:
I'm borderline retarded obviously...
Ah, a kindred spirit!

CrazyGirl17 said:
Slightly above average. I sometimes tend to think I'm smarter than everyone else... when I'm really not.
Props for being able to admit that... a pity there aren't more of such mind...

Arontala said:
I consider myself to be an intelligent idiot.

EDIT: I laughed at the poll results. Oh Escapist, you so modest.
LOL... and what did you expect?! (respectively)

nikki191 said:
ive always found these polls to be interesting as the result always tends to be most people seeing themselves as above average without fail
I think (no doubt others would 'know') it'd be the same if you applied it to the whole internet, not just the microcosm that is Esc...

manic_depressive13 said:
These kinds of polls are useless for gauging a community's intelligence, but great for measuring ego. Congratulations Escapist, you have once again proven yourself to be a shining beacon of pretentiousness intelligence in the stagnant swamp of the internet.
LOL... 'shining beacon' just brings the wrong image to mind... *hits self*

InterAirplay said:
I lol'd at the inevitable result, even though nature dictates that most of us are lying.
Well, a recent study did show that those who learnt to lie at a young age grew up to be smarter than their peers. Don't know if that counts for anything... *shrug*

poleboy said:
Intelligence is a social construction. We just barely understand how some parts of our brains work, and we think we can measure something as intangible as intelligence? Please.

Smart people realize that at best, you can pick up the knowledge that makes society brand you as smart, or even a genius. Even if you have a very rare talent for something, like languages or math, you'll probably never be a great racecar-driver or a mason as well. Smart people realize that co-operation between people can always yield greater results, because one of humanity's greatest talents is pooling our collective resources and intellect towards a common goal. It's just a shame we do it so rarely.
Best answer I've seen yet... *tips hat*

Mistermixmaster

Aug 4, 2009
"Ehh, kinda stupid"/"Below average". Mostly because what others say and think more or less instantly, I would first think of if I started to ponder on it for a few minutes. It's also happened that someone will say "that part of this game where character x betrays you was so obvious!" and I'll be stuck with a dumb look on my face and go "really? I didn't see it coming at all...". Maybe I'm just being harsh to myself, I dunno.

I'm also terrible with math, so there's that too. >_<

Sunrider

Add a beat to normality
Nov 16, 2009
Intelligent enough to not create this thread once every month or so.

Also, smarter than most people I know IRL, but still nothing above average. Everyone is really stupid where I grew up.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
I probably abit below average since I forgot what I learn in Math (like e.g. equation using X and Y) and something I can't think the exact word I'm looking for when trying to argue someone opinion in a topic (like making a statement while holding onto my own).

ajemas

Nov 19, 2009
If you look at the results of the poll, you'll see what the problem is with this kind of question is. The majority of people rated themselves as "above average" statistically speaking, assuming a normal sample, that is impossible. If you search hard enough then I'm sure that you will find something about yourself that is slightly exceptional, but no matter how smart you might think you are it doesn't change the fact that you aren't being realistic. Even now, I'm sure that many of you reading this are saying "yeah, those other guys are messing up the results!" which only serves to prove my point: that humans, for the most part, simply can't be trusted to self-report things about themselves.
(Also, sorry for any spelling/grammar mistakes I made, I'm typing on a smartphone, and autocorrect is a cruel mistress.)

Triaed

Not Gone Gonzo
Jan 16, 2009
Holy crap, the vast majority have "above average" intelligence.
Take that Statistics!
... now, let me divide this by zero and see what happens