Poll: How intelligent do you consider yourself

klaynexas3

My shoes hurt
Dec 30, 2009
intelligent? yeah, i'd say i'm kind of intelligent. smart? god no. i'd say being smart is applying said intelligence, and i know for a fact i'm up shit creek with that one. but i'm 15, so application of intelligence, by default of age, is not my strong suit.

Infernai

Apr 14, 2009
I'm average. I'm smart enough to know when not to do things that would result in bad injuries or just be outright dumb to do, but i'm not an Einstein or overly intelligent either. Not terrible, i still do ok in my subjects, but..i'm not a top student at all or anywhere close.

JoesshittyOs

Aug 10, 2011
I've got good morals and I've got a pretty good bullshit meter for most things in the world.

But I'm lazy, and my laziness really affected my school. I could have been a B+ student but never really pushed myself, meaning that I got by on the bare minimum for everything.

I made it to college, and I'm pretty decent at History subjects and writing, but for things where you actually have to sit down and study, I'm terrible.

Edit: I'm completely stupid in some things, rather exceptional in others. When it comes to "how smart are you", I'd say I'm average-below average. I find myself looking up words every once in a while.

Pinkamena

Stuck in a vortex of sexy horses
Jun 27, 2011
I dunno... A little above average I guess. Intelligent can mean a lot of things, but I think I'm fairly good at understanding abstract things. I study physics and math, so I need that.
Oh, and I also took one of those IRL official IQ tests, Mensa was hosting one in my city last year. If I remember correctly, I scored around 140.

When it comes to social intelligense? Below average.

EDIT: I find it pretty funny (and a little sad) that only 6 percent answered average... This site is either filled with geniuses or people full of themselves.

Jimbo1212

Aug 13, 2009
Kinda intelligent, though that may be modesty considering the degree on the wall behind me =p

SUPA FRANKY

Aug 18, 2009
I really don't know. I failed lots of test and don't really know some facts, but I get at least a every quarter and doing preety well in AP classes.

DonMartin

Apr 2, 2010
Oh hello Escapists, this thread again, huh?

Can you say... Dunning-Kruger Effect?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunning%E2%80%93Kruger_effect

Seriously, guys. And girls.

RatRace123

Elite Member
Dec 1, 2009
I honestly can't say, never taken an intelligence test. I'm pretty sure I'm not stupid though.

iLazy

Aug 6, 2011
Slightly above average compared to the rest of my school, but overall probably average.

Nayr

Aug 18, 2010
I don't think iq tests are are useful in determining intelligence. I hate reading people say what their iq is, that does not reflect how smart you are IMO. I did well on an iq test in high school but I still feel it does not qualify the mind properly. I like to think intelligence is best associated in math, since it is not very subjective. And no I am not a math major.

I believe more in ability than intelligence anyway, the more someone wants something the more they will work and train their brain to be successful at what they desire. It all comes down to how bad you want to be an expert in something.

So on topic, I am only as intelligent depending on how badly I want to come across as intelligent and how badly I want to succeed. At exam time it's a lot.

Erana

Feb 28, 2008
Calatar said:
What a nice Gaussian distribution. Where the actual average is more than "above average."
Everybody wants to think they're above average.

Maybe we have a certified "smarter than average" general population here. Or maybe only "smarter than average" people answer polls about intelligence.

Or maybe everybody is terrible at understanding what the actual average is, especially for such a nebulous concept as divisions of intelligence.

Or maybe the poll just sucks and everyone puts "ehh kinda intelligent" because it sounds both modest and flattering.
Pretty much this.

Still, I can't quite get how 1/5th of the responses have placed themselves at the very peak of human mental capacity...
Then again, the thread is called, "How intelligent do you consider yourself" and not how intelligent people actually are. :p

Me? Its pretty well established that I'm gifted, but I wouldn't consider myself a savant or anything like that.
That being said, I know several dozen people who graduated college between the ages of 16-19, and even then, only three of these people I would consider to be in the "Holy fucking shit intelligent" range.

Unless you're "changing the face of an academic field" intelligent, looking smart to smart people is a good indication that you're doing fine, and even if you don't, who gives a damn really? It doesn't determine your intrinsic value.

Intelligence is like a superpower- it helps a lot of heroes become successful, but Batman does well for himself through other means.

DonMartin

Apr 2, 2010
Cederearte said:
I'll just leave this here.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Illusory_superiority#Cognitive_ability
Oh, but surely this is not the case here? I mean, we were all child geniouses and are as of now extremely high functioning humans.

"This means that the lower the IQ of an individual, the less capable they are of appreciating and accurately appraising others' IQ. Therefore individuals with a lower IQ are more likely to rate themselves as having a higher IQ than those around them."

People here need to read this. It'd be nice if they could rethink their answers, too.

OP: Personally, I put other, because, as others already have stated, it's kind of hard to define intelligence, or what kind of intelligence youre looking for. But if were talking IQ, I'd say Im about average or below. I did the highest level math in senior high, but it takes me a lot of time, notes, sketches and some discussion with either the teacher or another student to just get an answer, if not the right one. Also, my grades werent amazing either, just average.

The Rookie Gamer

Mar 15, 2010
I had a college reading level in elementary, if that counts for something. I also only had 2 months of pre-algebra, and I than did better at algebra in high school than everyone in my class but a girl who had done algebra in middle school, if that counts for something.

I think I'm somewhat well learned in some things more than most kids my age. I've been called smart by several people, and asked why I'm not in advanced classes, and get told I "Speak like an adult" by kids my age, but that might just be due to using multi-syllabic words.

Overall, I don't really know where to place myself.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
I was nearly a prodigy at a younger age, but it didn't keep up. I'm currently a solid "average".

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
Above average in a lot of ways, but a lot of the knowledge I have is trivial. I do however enjoy being able to grasp concepts for almost anything fairly easily, which makes learning new things much easier... I wish though I could translate that into teaching others what I do know. I'm a horrible teacher.

I also know in elementary school I went through an IQ test and scored higher than most of the people in my grade. I only know this because in high school I had access to permanent records and decided to look in on my own record for the hell of it. I never really thought I was that smart though... and I won't brag about it by telling you all the score.