Poll: How many of you play Magic the Gathering?

Sorafrosty

Nov 19, 2009
I do:) Black and white decks are usually my best ones^^ Well, if you do not count my faeries of doom...A very fast deck...

Beltom

Professional Lurker
Sep 8, 2008
A friend of mine along with the recent LRR video got me into it for the first time. Only played the PC game so far, but I want to start collecting physical cards.

kiralon

Apr 18, 2010
Yep, i played tragic the garnering from unlimited, i used to play blue green doppleganger life deck, then they banned dopplegangers because they were apparently to hard for the average brain dead player to figure out (grrrr). That led to my 150 card verduran enchantress deck.

IrradiatedFish

Sep 24, 2010
Yep. I play. Ive gone through countless decks. Right now I have 2 assembled and in playable condition.

One is a mono blue artifact EDH format deck. The other is a Standard B/U/G Infect themed deck.

crudus

Oct 20, 2008
I do but everyone of my cards are older than I am and not legal in tournament play.

Infinatex

BLAM!Headshot?!
May 19, 2009
Nope, I never really looked into it. I played the pokemon one yeaaaaaaars ago, still got cards actually. And I got a stack of WoW TCG cards from hunting for loot cards. Never occurred to me to play the game though lol

DiMono

Mar 18, 2010
Ridiculously amusing, the timing of this thread; this weekend I'll be selling my cards to a local comic shop for what I hope is a large amount of money. I used to play a lot several years ago, but my cards have just been taking up space for the last 8 years.

daemon37

Oct 14, 2009
I played it a lot when it came out, like 15ish years ago. Lots of fun, but then all my friends moved on to other things like cars and girls so I had no one to play with. I gave away or sold most of my cards.

My favorite deck was mostly black with a little green.

Asturiel

the God of Pants
Nov 24, 2009
I go to Friday Night Magic weekly with my friends and play Magic Online for some limited fun from time to time.

I've been meaning to remake my sheep deck which took advantage of making your guys into 0/1s then switching their power/toughness.

That deck was fun :)

Macgyvercas

Spice & Wolf Restored!
Feb 19, 2009
Yeah, I do. I have two main decks that I use (none of my cards are tournament legal, so I just play with friends). One is a black/red that gets really nasty if my hand is empty and the other is a blue/black that's kind of a cross between getting stuff out quickly and bringing stuff back with regenerate.

Oh, and I refuse to fight a Sliver deck. Those things fucking scare me.

RandallJohn

Aug 21, 2010
I play a mono-blue. Counters are fun. :D

dark707 said:
All 5 colours Sliver deck. I LOVE SLIVERS.

SLIVER SLIVER SLIVER SLIVER SLIVER SLIVER SLIVER SLIVER SLIVER SLIVER SLIVER SLIVER SLIVER SLIVER SLIVER SLIVER SLIVER SLIVER SLIVER SLIVER SLIVER SLIVER SLIVER SLIVER SLIVER SLIVER
I officially hate you. :p

viranimus

Thread killer
Nov 20, 2009
I remember playing it when it first came out. And i mean a LOT.

But by the second or third expansion set when they started adding new rules and made the game inordinately complex I stopped playing it. Not that it was too complex to grasp, but it became too complex for most people to grasp and thus made it harder to teach someone how to play quickly, and it moved away from being rather accessible into a more hardcore notion.

It was vastly better when it was more of a quick pickup game in my honest opinion.

I still have my decks, not that im keeping them as collectibles but just because if I ever do want to play I have the means to.

chainer1216

Dec 12, 2009
i've been playing for almost a decade now, though i stopped seriously collecting years ago, i think the ravnaka block was the last time i actually bought cards, though i've come into possession of some newer cards.

Manicotti

Apr 10, 2009
I've been playing Magic for almost a decade, although I haven't had the time, money, or crowd to do so since the Ravnica block ended. The Scars of Mirrodin prerelease was awesome, though, and when I get a more noticeable source of income I might try to renovate my black control and zombie aggro decks.

Edit: In Standard, I'm really liking infect decks.

revenge6000

Oct 14, 2009
The thing I love most about magic is how pervasive it is. I'm an unapologetic nerd, so I make no secret of my past love of that game. I'm always surprised, though, when I find people outside of traditional nerd-dom that love it too.

True Story. I was at a frat party a year or so ago and wandered into a conversation these guys were having about Magic. We were telling stories about our old favorite decks, and one of the guys said he still had a box of random cards back at his apartment. Five of us literally left the fucking party, which was filled with chicks and booze, to go scrape together some decks and play Magic for like three hours.

Good Times.

el_kabong

Shark Rodeo Champion
Mar 18, 2010
I just got into when my college friends had a revival of their old habits about 6 months ago. I play a Black/Blue deck mostly. I mainly use vampires for their ability to get on the field quick, damage while healing me, and sacrifice themselves for defense or further healing. On top of that, I use a bunch of black's inta-kill spells or (my personal favorite) blue's Mind Control to instantly neutralize high-mana creatures that my opponent spent so much time to get.

It's a perfect deck if you want to be hated.
revenge6000 said:
The thing I love most about magic is how pervasive it is. I'm an unapologetic nerd, so I make no secret of my past love of that game. I'm always surprised, though, when I find people outside of traditional nerd-dom that love it too.

True Story. I was at a frat party a year or so ago and wandered into a conversation these guys were having about Magic. We were telling stories about our old favorite decks, and one of the guys said he still had a box of random cards back at his apartment. Five of us literally left the fucking party, which was filled with chicks and booze, to go scrape together some decks and play Magic for like three hours.

Good Times.
Actually, the college friends I mentioned are all members of my fraternity. Not only do we take a liking to the occasional game of magic, but have about 3 RPG groups (Pathfinder, mostly) that play on a semi-regular basis.

It's become this really weird trend that I can't explain. We started with one group of about 6 people and it's grown ever since (hence the need for 3 groups). Even members of the sorority next door have rolled up characters. In fact, the popularity of table-top RPGs is what led to the revival of Magic at our house. A core group from the RPG campaigns were looking for a less popular nerd release and started Magic back up. Of course, within the week, they had sparked interest and 3 new players joined them(including myself).

We usually don't ditch out on parties, though, as we're expected to be helping keep a lid on things (running security, watching the door, acting as sober cab, etc.). Also, I can't imagine trying to keep a game on track with all that ruckus going on.

Take that stereotypes! Although we still do love to drink and play Call of Duty.

blankedboy

Feb 7, 2009
Seems like M:tG is pretty popular around here oO
I used to have a deck, but only had a couple non-serious games with my brother.

OhSnap

Feb 4, 2010
Macgyvercas said:
Oh, and I refuse to fight a Sliver deck. Those things fucking scare me.
I miss my sliver deck D:

With the right cards it became beastly when I was playing at school.