Poll: How much older is too old?

Keepitclean

Sep 16, 2009
Other people can do whatever. For me 5 years older is pushing it and 5 younger is illegal. I'll go open minded 5-10.

mental_looney

Apr 29, 2008
I'm 26 and my current, hopefully permanent, bf is 8 years older than me, oldest was 11 years and that was probably the upper age limit for a serious relationship.

Elementary - Dear Watson

RIP Eleuthera, I will miss you
Nov 9, 2010
konor77 said:
A rule i heard is to have half your age plus seven as your minimum age and it seems like a pretty safe rule.
This is fact...

It is also a law, and should be adhered to at all times! The only thing that can supercede it is in the event of Scandinavian Twins!

Also, there is no limit if the girl is older... Banter discression applies!

Elementary - Dear Watson

Nov 9, 2010
kman123 said:
I'm 20. My girlfriend is 21, there's about 1.1 years between us.

I'd prefer 40, but ya know.
You would prefer her to be 60!? Or -20!? Wha...!? Surely being around the same age is better!

My ex was a month and 9 days older than me... worked out nicely... especially makes it easier with friend groups!

Bara_no_Hime

Sep 15, 2010
Goofguy said:
Far be it from me to judge the realities of their marriage, I'm more curious as to how many people would pursue a relationship with someone that much older than themselves.

So my fellow Escapists, how much older is too old for you when looking for a significant other? Do you even care about the age difference? For those of you already in committed relationships, pretend you are single for the sake of this discussion.
It kind of depends on who it is.

I mean, before I learned that outside his movie career, Sean Connery was a misogynistic jerk, I had a huge crush on him. He's like 40+ years older than me, but I'd have totally slept with him just cause he's amazingly hot even old (less so as of recent years, but back when I had the crush... oh my).

Also, one of my cousins only dates men who are older than her father. Not... sure why. **shrug**

Typically, though, I tend to stay within 5-10 years or so. And I tend to go younger rather than older when I push that age set. I'm not saying I wouldn't consider someone older, but typically it doesn't come up.

Goofguy

Nov 25, 2010
Elementary - Dear Watson said:
You would prefer her to be 60!? Or -20!? Wha...!? Surely being around the same age is better!

My ex was a month and 9 days older than me... worked out nicely... especially makes it easier with friend groups!
That's the thing, different strokes for different strokes. While you and I may prefer someone around the same age, not everyone feels that way.

I have an acquaintance (wouldn't want to be friends with him for others reasons) who likes them older. He's in his mid 20s like me but prefers his ladies in their 40s. Almost to the point where he's not interested in women who are in their 20s. I just shrug it off, it's all a matter of taste.

Judgement101

Mar 29, 2010
A 4 year difference is my line, not sure why but i don't think I could picture myself dating someone that much younger/older than me.

Also, since we are apparently sharcing CAPTCHAS today: Choose DISH -_-

aba1

Mar 18, 2010
konor77 said:
A rule i heard is to have half your age plus seven as your minimum age and it seems like a pretty safe rule.
Ahh you mean your age divided by two plus seven is the minimum younger you can date. In general this formula is a fairly decent rule of thumb.

Winthrop

Apr 7, 2010
As others have already said, half your age plus 7 is the rule of thumb. The issue with this poll is that age gaps are less important with age. a 50 and 60 year old couple wouldn't draw much attention, but a 16 year old and a 6 year old would despite the fact that both have a 10 year gap.

BytByte

Nov 26, 2009
I say if the feeling is mutual and there isn't some repressed mommy or daddy issues, then anyone over 18 should not be scrutinized. It would be kinda weird, but it should still be allowed, because, ya know, fairness.

FamoFunk

Dad, I'm in space.
Mar 10, 2010
I'd say 25 years, after that it gets a bit... meh, people will start to stare, gossip and such.

But whatever floats peoples boats, as long as they're happy who're we to stop them? Unless of course they're under the legal age limit.

My current relationship he's 5 years older, it works out great, it isn't even a massive gap and I would never date someone younger than me.

MetalMagpie

Jun 13, 2011
konor77 said:
Exactly this.

The older you are, the greater the number of years you can have between yourself and your partner before it gets "weird". 14 to 21 seems like a huge gap, whereas 52 to 59 seems like nothing.

I'm currently 24. So by the above rule I can date anywhere between 19 and 34. Which feels about right.

Oldest = (age - 7) x 2
Youngest = (age / 2) + 7

Reincarnatedwolfgod

Jan 17, 2011
i would say up to 10 years older then me. i am open to ten year older then me but preferably younger then that

as people younger then me
well i am 19 now so no more the year younger 17 for me

once i am old enough that ten year younger is not disgusting and illegal i don't know what i will think. only future me will know that.

Lunatic High

Apr 14, 2012
I prefer them older I'm going on 26 and my gf is 31. However if I'm to be the older one I'd say anything more than 5 years is pushing it a bit although I'm not really one to talk I've "dated" as young as 17 before. I love that "new car" smell winkity wink wink

Loop Stricken

Covered in bees!
Jun 17, 2009
I don't think it's anyone's business barring the people involved in the relationship, personally.

Elementary - Dear Watson

Nov 9, 2010
kman123 said:
kman123 said:
I'm 20. My girlfriend is 21, there's about 1.1 years between us.

I'd prefer 40, but ya know.

Oh I was kidding. Sarcasm doesn't translate well over the internet...
:p Thank god for that!

I didn't want to consider the alternative!
Goofguy said:

That's the thing, different strokes for different strokes. While you and I may prefer someone around the same age, not everyone feels that way.

I have an acquaintance (wouldn't want to be friends with him for others reasons) who likes them older. He's in his mid 20s like me but prefers his ladies in their 40s. Almost to the point where he's not interested in women who are in their 20s. I just shrug it off, it's all a matter of taste.
Ok... Mid-20s to 40s is one thing, and I can possibly understand... However... 20-60 I would be pretty worried about the guy...
Which is why I never understand a 20s girl with a 60s+ bloke... apart from gold digging of course!

FoolKiller

Feb 8, 2008
If she's 18+ and out of high school, I will give her a chance.

Personally, I think it has more to do with where you are in your life rather than how long you've been alive.

omega 616

Elite Member
May 1, 2009
If you are a guy of that age having a partner of that age, you must know that she is a gold digger. She can't be looking at him thinking "he is so attractive", not saying looks are everything but there has to be a physical attraction.

He must realize and be ok with knowing she is using him to get free shit.

My views are pretty much the /2+7 thing, the youngest of the two being of consenting age in your country.