Poll: I hate the imperial system. America, I'm looking at you! Give it up, metric is simply better!!!!

jaketheripper

Jan 27, 2010
ApeShapeDeity said:
I'm an engineer. Imperial measurement is crap. It's nowhere near as useful as a simple base 10 numeric system.

'Pass me an 11/15ths socket please...?'

Come to think of it, it's not just distance. Weight also. Grams. So simple. It translates well through from tiny amount to collossal masses.

Measure tempratures in centigrade. It's so much more practicle! 0 deg C, is freezing, 100 deg C is boiling (water @ 1 ATM) If you don't like that, then at least use kelvin.

Surely the American scientific community use metric? Why can't the rest of America just get on board with the rest of the world?

In short, imperial sucks. Let it die.
You spelled practical wrong.... work on spelling before criticizing the way other people learn.

On the subject of learning... that's what we have learned our whole lives. The whole country isn't going to simply change.

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
probably

but I hardly care anymore since I'm past taking classes where it matters

once you're living life outside of school it doesn't matter anymore (unless it's a part of your job to use measurements, otherwise it's really just "I need a GALLON of milk" and "oh I ran a MILE today" or "my son just grew 3 INCHES!" cuz at that point it's all relevant)

FaceFaceFace

Nov 18, 2009
I'm not sure any Americans who actually know how metric works think that Imperial (we call it Standard) is better. Metric makes so much sense. Standard just... doesn't.

maturin

Jul 20, 2010
I have an odd fascination with millimeters.

That said, pounds and feet seem like very hand increments to have. Approximating things is easier with smaller units.

But the imperial method of dividing inches is right up there with medieval quack medicine.

We need 24 hour time as well.

WanderingFool

Apr 9, 2009
Sn1P3r M98 said:
I'm an American, but I still think we should switch to metric. It's much simpler than imperial and easier to use.
And as a fellow American, I agree! Only problem is the actual transfer into the Metric system. It would take far to long and cost to much. Not only that, but the Imperial system is so ingrained into people's minds, it would be near impossible for every modern American to convert overnight.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
But how am I supposed to traumatize my American friends by saying "I'm wearing a t-shirt and it's minus five degrees out"?

Fun story: One person told me that Celsius was a terrible measuring system, and used the -40 meeting point and 100 F equals 38 C as his proof.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
emeraldrafael said:
B) Yes really. And you know why? You go from pounds to metric tons. POUNDS to METRIC TONS (2000 lbs. = 1 MT). How is that not a nice even number? its not a nice round number, and when you have to go from one to the other (as I had to do constantly in Chemistry and Physics), its nice to have nice even numbers.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tonne

Wow.

p3t3r

Apr 16, 2009
canadian i use imperial for people weight and height but that is pretty much it. i am a terrible judge of units to real life though so it wouldn't really matter i would still have no idea

Rigs83

Elite Member
Feb 10, 2009
1612] indirs
My captcha

Technically America switched to the metric system in the 70's and everyone ignored it. Here's an old vid by the Washington Post [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xXK-QJ_9SLs] that talks about the current transition.

Now here I shall add unnecessary diatribes to ensure I meet the standards of The Escapist for incoherent rambling

Metric shot my father and kidnapped my sister

The metric system is just another measuring system the way that Communism is just another way to live

I can pound the pavement in America but can they kilogram the road in Europe?

XT inc

Jul 29, 2009
Metric, I mean cmon the WHOLE rest of the world uses it. Why would you want to keep using a out of whack system with shenanigan conversions when you could use super easy metric measurements. Everytime americans mock me for living in canada with my crazy booze prices and bagged milk, I can still play the Imperial measurement card.

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
lacktheknack said:
emeraldrafael said:
B) Yes really. And you know why? You go from pounds to metric tons. POUNDS to METRIC TONS (2000 lbs. = 1 MT). How is that not a nice even number? its not a nice round number, and when you have to go from one to the other (as I had to do constantly in Chemistry and Physics), its nice to have nice even numbers.

Wow.
Then its been changed. cause I always remmebered using 2000 lbs in a ton.

Besides, I'll still stand by it that Imperial weight system is much easier then Metric weight system. and height too. And length. you know, the normal stuff that every day people use.

Nocturnal Gentleman

Mar 12, 2010
AvsJoe said:
Other American habits have rubbed off on me as well, like "Y'all", my general ignorance of other cultures, and "soda".
To be fair, only a few Americans say "Y'all" and the general ignorance part is basically a world wide problem. Clearly shown by you lumping all our nation together as not knowing any other cultures properly and having the same accent.

Back to subject, last time I checked most Americans use both systems. I prefer metric for lab measurements but I like imperial better for day to day life. It may not be as precise but when it comes to things that don't need specifics that's not really a problem for me. Really I don't see what there is to ***** about. If you don't like it then don't use it. If your country isn't using it anyway then no problem.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
emeraldrafael said:
lacktheknack said:
emeraldrafael said:

Wow.
Then its been changed. cause I always remmebered using 2000 lbs in a ton.
Are you sure you aren't thinking of the imperial ton?

After all, a metric ton is technically called a "tonne".

Besides, I'll still stand by it that Imperial weight system is much easier then Metric weight system. and height too. And length. you know, the normal stuff that every day people use.
Weight, yes. Others, no. But hey, you stand by what you learn.

Nocturnal Gentleman

Mar 12, 2010
XT inc said:
Metric, I mean cmon the WHOLE rest of the world uses it. Why would you want to keep using a out of whack system with shenanigan conversions when you could use super easy metric measurements. Everytime americans mock me for living in canada with my crazy booze prices and bagged milk, I can still play the Imperial measurement card.
It may be bizarre to the rest of the world but only because they don't use it. We've always used it. So it makes sense to us. Why change to a system most of us NEVER use in daily life? Unneeded confusion is all that is.

kickyourass

Apr 17, 2010
I like the metric system for the most part the numbers are so nice and even. It's just I've grown accumstumed to using Imperial so that's what I use. Really the the only thing I prefer in the Imperial system is the temperature, those wo I think can (or at least SHOULD) happily live side by side.