Poll: I Just Started Smoking :D

O maestre

Nov 19, 2008
you picked a terrible time to start prices keep soaring... hell thats why i quit... i did the math and realized the amount of money i was spending on this one habit, was far greater than my many other habits... games excluded

then again you may not live in europe so it might be different for you

i miss it at times... but it is best not to start unless you believe you are capable of sustaining your habit and the eventual addiction is permanent, you may quit smoking but you will never stop being a smoker, if you understand what i mean. i have not smoked for about 5 months and i still think about it every time i am done eating.

speaking of which, make sure you separate your smoking from any other repetitive activity you might do. make sure you dont ritualize it, like smoking after each meal or each cup of coffee or after a beer, otherwise those activities will forever become associated with smoking, and it will be an enormous obstacle when you eventually try to quit.

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
PHOENIXRIDER57 said:
I'm sure the poll has already been done, but look it up.... :effort:

So I just started smoking last week and I'm loving it so far. I do it for the camaraderie. I enjoy going outside with friends to have a smoke. I tried Camels but like Marbs better. I just wanted to see what people think of smoking, and to see what everyone else smokes?
[20 years later] "Oh god guys how can I quit smoking, it's up to 5 packs a day and I can't help myself!"

Don't mind if you smoke as long as I don't haveto share your stench, otherwise you may find me trying to match it with farts.

dogenzakaminion

Jun 15, 2010
I prefer Marlboro over most other types as well, though West is my real favorite, but they don't sell it in Norway :(

Andalusa

Mad Cat Lady
Feb 25, 2008
Yeah, I smoke, I don't love it but I don't hate it either. It's just something I do. I'm not bothered about quitting just yet, so... I just.. do it. I prefer rollies to packets of cigarettes, they're a lot smoother for me. I do smoke packets when I'm on a night out, just for convenience.

The_Emperor

Mar 18, 2010
I dont get the anti smoking nazis, no its not great to smoke but ppl like OMG THAZ DISGUSTING wtf?

two girls one cup is disgusting smoking is just a bit meh, the smell goes away after awhile, the effects are exaggerated, if people want to smoke let them do it.

I may die of cancer but at least I'll look cool as fuck

blowing smoke rings through my neck!

tbh I just started again I want to quit but I drink too much booze and it makes me want to smoke alot.

I need one of those E cigarette things for when I drink.

You aren't cool for starting smoking either, why make a thread about it? It's just some shit you do then you wish you never started cos it makes you poor and dead sometimes.

I only started cus you cant smoke brown in a joint without tobacco, back when I was 16, smoking on its own is stupeeds.

Zenn3k

Feb 2, 2009
I smoked for about 8 years.

I quit 11 days ago.

I'm saving $30 a week by not smoking. I'd keep doing it, but honestly, its just too damn expensive.

ZeroMachine

Oct 11, 2008
Ultra-Chronic Monstah said:
Daystar Clarion said:
Daystar Clarion said:
What is this, I don't even...

Are you for real? People are starting?

In this day and age?

Mind boggling.
"In this day and age"? What do you mean?

OT: Are you... trolling? 'Cause if so, you're not very good. Sorry.
What I mean, is that there is so much information easily available that warns people just how bad for you smoking is, that only a idiot would start.

You can do what you want with your body, that's your right, but it's also my right to tell you how stupid it is.
A few thing wrong with this.

1.) Saying it's stupid for harming you is pretty close-minded. Why is it stupid? Life only has as much value as one gives it. Just because you've given it a high value doesn't mean everyone does.

2.) You only live once. This isn't a rehearsal.

3.) Sometimes people are pushed to things like smoking. Life can be very stressful, and people deal with it in different ways. Some people smoke, some drink, some work out.

4.) I don't see how it's your right to call us stupid. Why have you earned it? Please tell me you don't honestly believe that not smoking makes you better than anyone, because that's tragic.

5.) There is so much information that warns people against frequently using a computer, but you're on one. There's so much information warning against eating fast food, but I'm sure you've enjoyed a cheeky little Maccy D's. Hell, there's a lot of information that warns us that sitting down to take a shit is dangerous, but we all do it.
Wow, out of all the dumb comparisons I've ever seen people try to pull out of their asses... computer? You're comparing smoking to being on the computer? Are you insane?

And he, and people that think like him (me, for example) aren't calling you stupid. We're calling the act of smoking stupid. Which it is.

And also, holy whatever-god-you-worship, does EVERY DAMN SMOKER rehearse those pro-smoking lines? Is there a fucking pamphlet? Every damn time someone says they feel smoking is stupid because it's unhealthy, a smoker will say those exact god damn lines. Every. Fucking. Time.

BiscuitTrouser

Elite Member
May 19, 2008
NeuroticDogDad said:
Grabbin Keelz said:
My friend actually smokes from a tobacco pipe. It smells much better than cigarette smoke and is way less deadly, plus I can actually stand to be near him. I don't see how anyone can stand cigarette smoke at all, it just smells disgusting.
It is not less deadly, it just means you don't count lung cancer and bronchitis among your list of potential diseases. The various cancers that can occur in your mouth and throat are sufficiently deadly.
Having a father that recently beat mouth cancer i can honestly say nothing is worth it. Nothing. The radio therapy used to kill the cancer has killed all his saliva glands. He cant eat anything solid and even remotely dry. Toast is gone. Crisps are gone. Pretty much all meat. Normal bread is gone. Salads without loads of cream gone. Chocolate bars too. Cant taste a lot of what he can actually eat anyway. Kicker? Never smoked in his life. His father did though. And its the reason i never got to meet him.

Cancer is horrific to treat. Ive seen what it does to a person. I wouldnt take any unecessary risks that might increase your chances of getting it ever.

Ragsnstitches

Dec 2, 2009
Daystar Clarion said:
My parents smoke and my sister smokes, it's an expensive and filthy habit, and they're very fucking hypocritical about it.

"Oh, spending more money on videogames are we? What a waste"

They then proceed to spend hundreds of pounds a year on cigarettes.
That causes immeasurable amounts of rage for me... I got myself a 7.50 (euro) Meal Deal from some random fast food joint on my way back from work one day and was lectured by my mom (who doesn't have a job and hasn't had one, official at least, for 20+ years).

"You must think money grows on trees" she snided, as she smugly pulled on her last cigarette from a box she bought that day.

Smokes are 8.95~...

RAGEFACE.jpg

OmniscientOstrich

Jan 6, 2011
Well...this is stupid. You don't have to smoke to hang around with friends. I have friends that smoke, but I just grab a beer and join them with that instead. Really, taking this up purely for the social aspect is incredibly stupid, but hey, it's your life.

Taekro

Nov 8, 2010
You people do know nicotine isn't adictive enough if you have discipline on how often you do it, right?

For the OP: don't smoke more than 2 a day. Even better if you also keep it at a max of two a week. Have a smallish cig budget and keep it unaltered. My trick is only smoke while having my morning and/OR after lunch coffee, which is the best time to smoke BTW.

Why?
For one, the pack will last you for so, so long ( as long as you keep the 'loans' to the minimum). So much, I was kind of mocked by my heavy smoking friends for not actually being a smoker.
Second, you'll keep the smell to a minimum. Nobody suspects I smoke until I tell them. Not even my last ex knew.
Third, and this is the most important, you won't feel ANY cravings should you stop for a week, a month, or forever. And believe me, when you want to save those extra bucks, this is by far a bless.
And those two cigs will feel like a milion bucks. Really. I spend as much time as I can smoking that one cig. Best way to start the day after a decent breakfast.

The best, of course, would be not to smoke entirelly, but I can't blame ya, I'm a Marlboro man...

ZeroMachine

Oct 11, 2008
ZeroMachine said:
Daystar Clarion said:
Daystar Clarion said:
What is this, I don't even...

Are you for real? People are starting?

In this day and age?

Mind boggling.
"In this day and age"? What do you mean?

OT: Are you... trolling? 'Cause if so, you're not very good. Sorry.
What I mean, is that there is so much information easily available that warns people just how bad for you smoking is, that only a idiot would start.

You can do what you want with your body, that's your right, but it's also my right to tell you how stupid it is.
A few thing wrong with this.

1.) Saying it's stupid for harming you is pretty close-minded. Why is it stupid? Life only has as much value as one gives it. Just because you've given it a high value doesn't mean everyone does.

2.) You only live once. This isn't a rehearsal.

3.) Sometimes people are pushed to things like smoking. Life can be very stressful, and people deal with it in different ways. Some people smoke, some drink, some work out.

4.) I don't see how it's your right to call us stupid. Why have you earned it? Please tell me you don't honestly believe that not smoking makes you better than anyone, because that's tragic.

5.) There is so much information that warns people against frequently using a computer, but you're on one. There's so much information warning against eating fast food, but I'm sure you've enjoyed a cheeky little Maccy D's. Hell, there's a lot of information that warns us that sitting down to take a shit is dangerous, but we all do it.
Wow, out of all the dumb comparisons I've ever seen people try to pull out of their asses... computer? You're comparing smoking to being on the computer? Are you insane?

And he, and people that think like him (me, for example) aren't calling you stupid. We're calling the act of smoking stupid. Which it is.

And also, holy whatever-god-you-worship, does EVERY DAMN SMOKER rehearse those pro-smoking lines? Is there a fucking pamphlet? Every damn time someone says they feel smoking is stupid because it's unhealthy, a smoker will say those exact god damn lines. Every. Fucking. Time.

Christ calm down, we've already sorted this. I wasn't saying being at comp... you know what, fuck it, I'm not going to sit here and repeat myself. Read the rest of the goddamn discussion and don't just piss yourself after reading one thing.
I did read the rest of your conversation. Way to assume. Bravo. Doesn't change a damn thing I said.

Other than I couldn't date a girl that smokes, I don't treat smokers any differently than anyone else. I ask them to not smoke around me, but that isn't exactly rude, wouldn't you say?

But it downright pisses me off when I see people defending smoking in the same damn way every damn time. They just can't justify hurting themselves. They can't put any positive spin on it. All they can say is "I can do what I want with my body." Why? To calm down? Learn yoga. Go on a nature walk. Have a nice little snack, or a light drink. Don't ruin the long term in order to deal with the short term. The person doing it may not be stupid, but I'll ask someone to kill me the day I see the act of smoking as anything but stupid and pointless.

Xan Krieger

Completely insane
Feb 11, 2009
Firstly wow there's a lot of anti-smoking trolls on this forum. Just because someone enjoys something and says they're happy about it doesn't make them a troll.

Secondly try to get flavored cigarettes, they smell nice and taste great. I'm a fan of chocolate and vanilla flavored cigarettes.

Dec 14, 2009
Xan Krieger said:
Firstly wow there's a lot of anti-smoking trolls on this forum. Just because someone enjoys something and says they're happy about it doesn't make them a troll.

Secondly try to get flavored cigarettes, they smell nice and taste great. I'm a fan of chocolate and vanilla flavored cigarettes.
And just because some sees smoking as an expensive method of self harm, isn't a troll either.

People have really got to learn that "this person doesn't believe what I believe, therefore they're a troll" isn't what trolling is.

Xan Krieger

Completely insane
Feb 11, 2009
Daystar Clarion said:
Xan Krieger said:

And just because some sees smoking as an expensive method of self harm, isn't a troll either.

People have really got to learn that "this person doesn't believe what I believe, therefore they're a troll" isn't what trolling is.
It's just the way they say it, for example on the first page "People still smoke in this day and age?". Sounds like a very rude and trollish way of putting it. Disagreeing with it is one thing, being a jerk about it is another.

franconbean

Apr 30, 2011
as long as you don't start smoking on your own, you should be fine.
I smoke socially and do agree that it has benefited my social life on the whole.
I do try to keep smoking to a minimum though, so I keep getting a nice nicotine buzz.
Like you, I am not addicted, and think that what you (and I) are doing is walking a fine line, but so long as you don't hop on to the "My name is *name* and I am a smoker" wagon, you should be fine.