Poll: I Just Started Smoking :D

Skoosh

Jun 19, 2009
The addiction will start. If you smoke regularly, can't really avoid it. If you enjoy, that's fine and dandy, but I have yet to meet someone that's been smoking over 10 years that's still glad they started. Just a thought. Not saying it's the worst thing in the world, but the negative aspects are quite large. I had 4 friends pick up smoking exactly like you did, all ignored everyone, like you are, and now they all regret picking it up, like you likely will.

Most of my friends smoke. It's perfectly fine to walk outside with them and not actually smoke, you know. That's what I do. Just talk and hang out. You'll save a lot of money and keep your lungs nice and pink. Then when you play a sport later you can kick their ass when they run out of breath.

ZeroMachine

Oct 11, 2008
Ultra-Chronic Monstah said:
ZeroMachine said:
ZeroMachine said:
Daystar Clarion said:
Daystar Clarion said:
What is this, I don't even...

Are you for real? People are starting?

In this day and age?

Mind boggling.
"In this day and age"? What do you mean?

OT: Are you... trolling? 'Cause if so, you're not very good. Sorry.
What I mean, is that there is so much information easily available that warns people just how bad for you smoking is, that only a idiot would start.

You can do what you want with your body, that's your right, but it's also my right to tell you how stupid it is.
A few thing wrong with this.

1.) Saying it's stupid for harming you is pretty close-minded. Why is it stupid? Life only has as much value as one gives it. Just because you've given it a high value doesn't mean everyone does.

2.) You only live once. This isn't a rehearsal.

3.) Sometimes people are pushed to things like smoking. Life can be very stressful, and people deal with it in different ways. Some people smoke, some drink, some work out.

4.) I don't see how it's your right to call us stupid. Why have you earned it? Please tell me you don't honestly believe that not smoking makes you better than anyone, because that's tragic.

5.) There is so much information that warns people against frequently using a computer, but you're on one. There's so much information warning against eating fast food, but I'm sure you've enjoyed a cheeky little Maccy D's. Hell, there's a lot of information that warns us that sitting down to take a shit is dangerous, but we all do it.
Wow, out of all the dumb comparisons I've ever seen people try to pull out of their asses... computer? You're comparing smoking to being on the computer? Are you insane?

And he, and people that think like him (me, for example) aren't calling you stupid. We're calling the act of smoking stupid. Which it is.

And also, holy whatever-god-you-worship, does EVERY DAMN SMOKER rehearse those pro-smoking lines? Is there a fucking pamphlet? Every damn time someone says they feel smoking is stupid because it's unhealthy, a smoker will say those exact god damn lines. Every. Fucking. Time.

Christ calm down, we've already sorted this. I wasn't saying being at comp... you know what, fuck it, I'm not going to sit here and repeat myself. Read the rest of the goddamn discussion and don't just piss yourself after reading one thing.
I did read the rest of your conversation. Way to assume. Bravo. Doesn't change a damn thing I said.

Other than I couldn't date a girl that smokes, I don't treat smokers any differently than anyone else. I ask them to not smoke around me, but that isn't exactly rude, wouldn't you say?

But it downright pisses me off when I see people defending smoking in the same damn way every damn time. They just can't justify hurting themselves. They can't put any positive spin on it. All they can say is "I can do what I want with my body." Why? To calm down? Learn yoga. Go on a nature walk. Have a nice little snack, or a light drink. Don't ruin the long term in order to deal with the short term. The person doing it may not be stupid, but I'll ask someone to kill me the day I see the act of smoking as anything but stupid and pointless.
Well clearly not as I apologised to them for jumping to the conclusion that they were jumping down the throats of every smoker...

And wow, where do you think I can find the time to do yoga? And snacking does nothing to me, and I can't having anything to drink due to medication. I also exercise regularly and it's not enough. Why would I put a positive spin on it? Why must I explain myself to you? And why can't I justify hurting myself? It calms me down. Just because you don't want to sacrifice the long term for the short term doesn't mean everybody has to live that way. And, well, I think that getting drunk is stupid, but not only does no one give a fuck about it, it's actually seen as a good thing to do at parties. How come what you think is stupid must be stupid, but what I think is stupid is completely acceptable? What, did I lose a contest or something?
Yes I did. I wasn't talking about anything you had to apologize for, I was talking about the arguments you were making in favor of smoking. Pay attention.

I'm stating my views that you disagree with, and you're stating yours that I disagree with. I'm not trying to change your mind. I just believe that anyone that doesn't live life to the longest and fullest they can is wasting their potential.

And for the record, I also find getting drunk stupid. I drink, but only certain drinks, and only for the taste. I actually was completely baffled at a friend of mine recently that said he needs to work on his tolerance in order to be socially acceptably drunk at a party and still function. That also pisses me off. So at the very least, we can see eye to eye on that.

And it isn't that you lost a contest, it's that you are in a minority. A minority that you chose to be in. That, in and of itself, will make it much harder for people to accept the fact that you do that. It's just the way the world works.

And I don't want you to feel that I'm attacking you. I'm talking about smokers in general, and how most I've dealt with defend smoking in the same exact way.

CommanderKirov

Oct 3, 2010
Xan Krieger said:
Daystar Clarion said:
Xan Krieger said:
Firstly wow there's a lot of anti-smoking trolls on this forum. Just because someone enjoys something and says they're happy about it doesn't make them a troll.

Secondly try to get flavored cigarettes, they smell nice and taste great. I'm a fan of chocolate and vanilla flavored cigarettes.
And just because some sees smoking as an expensive method of self harm, isn't a troll either.

People have really got to learn that "this person doesn't believe what I believe, therefore they're a troll" isn't what trolling is.
It's just the way they say it, for example on the first page "People still smoke in this day and age?". Sounds like a very rude and trollish way of putting it. Disagreeing with it is one thing, being a jerk about it is another.
Well... In all honesty while it is not very polite it is very true. Smoking became downgraded from "What cool cats do" to being just tasteless in modern culture. Most of the middle and upper class jumped on the whole "Smoking is bad" wagon and since than smoking as a passtime has been in decline dramatically.

But I believe that to each their own. Altought I prefer to make my liver suffer instead of my lungs.

Dec 14, 2009
Xan Krieger said:
Daystar Clarion said:
Xan Krieger said:
Firstly wow there's a lot of anti-smoking trolls on this forum. Just because someone enjoys something and says they're happy about it doesn't make them a troll.

Secondly try to get flavored cigarettes, they smell nice and taste great. I'm a fan of chocolate and vanilla flavored cigarettes.
And just because some sees smoking as an expensive method of self harm, isn't a troll either.

People have really got to learn that "this person doesn't believe what I believe, therefore they're a troll" isn't what trolling is.
It's just the way they say it, for example on the first page "People still smoke in this day and age?". Sounds like a very rude and trollish way of putting it. Disagreeing with it is one thing, being a jerk about it is another.
No, you think it's a very trollish thing to say.

It's not the 1950's, people can't claim ignorance to the harms of smoking, there's information everywhere telling you how bad it is for your body.

You want to smoke? Go for it. I couldn't give a toss, but don't think you can go through life not expecting people not to point out how ridiculously bad it is for you.

AngryFrenchCanadian

Dec 4, 2008
Smoking cigarette is for suckers, in my humble opinion.

At least when you smoke cigars, you don't inhale the damn byproduct in your lungs.

Also, you look ten times as badass.

Xan Krieger

Completely insane
Feb 11, 2009
Daystar Clarion said:
Xan Krieger said:
Daystar Clarion said:
Xan Krieger said:

It's not the 1950's, people can't claim ignorance to the harms of smoking, there's information everywhere telling you how bad it is for your body.

You want to smoke? Go for it. I couldn't give a toss, but don't think you can go through life not expecting people not to point out how ridiculously bad it is for you.
The reason I thought we were done with people saying it's bad is because of things like those Truth advertizements on TV that say how bad it is or the fact that it's on every pack of cigarettes. To make things worse they're gonna add horrific pictures to cigarettes packs. We know how bad it is for us, we don't need everyone to remind us. I thought people understood that anti-smoking crap is already everywhere and that we smokers can see it.

Feb 9, 2011
Oh, this thread. *shakes head*

I don't know what you want from this thread, so congratulations, you're in for a world of future health problems.

*shrugs* I guess that's it. I'll be going now.

playinthedark

Feb 15, 2010
Smoker for 12 years.
I calculate I've spent around $35,000 on smoking in that time.
Every simple common cold turns into a bronchial infection that takes several weeks and piles of medication to fix.
I can barely run up a flight of stairs let alone exercise in any real capacity.
People constantly complain about the smell.
You're forced outside to smoke in the freezing cold now that bars have banned it.

Trust me, it ain't worth starting. You'll regret it. I don't know a smoker my age who still wants to be one.

stormcrow5

Jul 9, 2008
Please don't tell me to stop, because I am not addicted to it and could if I want to. I enjoy smoking......... That line is the true line of a addict i dont think i ever had someone say that line ever and actualy be able to stop

Dec 14, 2009
Xan Krieger said:
Daystar Clarion said:
Xan Krieger said:
Daystar Clarion said:
Xan Krieger said:

The reason I thought we were done with people saying it's bad is because of things like those Truth advertizements on TV that say how bad it is or the fact that it's on every pack of cigarettes. To make things worse they're gonna add horrific pictures to cigarettes packs. We know how bad it is for us, we don't need everyone to remind us. I thought people understood that anti-smoking crap is already everywhere and that we smokers can see it.
But you continue to do it?

When I was younger, my parents told me to never play with fire because you will get burned.

I know it's a weak analogy, but when the world is telling you that something is harming you, but you do it anyway, you sort of deserve all the stick you get for it.

Rawne1980

Jul 29, 2011
artanis_neravar said:
hy·per·bo·le
[hahy-pur-buh-lee]
noun Rhetoric .
obvious and intentional exaggeration.
an extravagant statement or figure of speech not intended to be taken literally, as ?to wait an eternity.?
Well done you, looking up words is fun.

I was just making a point there is no need to act like a smart arse and make yourself look......

pedantic [puh-dan-tik]  

pe·dan·tic 
adjective
ostentatious in one's learning.
overly concerned with minute details or formalisms, especially in teaching.

Oooh look, I can do it aswell. We can be like twins and skip through fields of corn on a summers day, take out a picnic with sandwiches made of love and rainbows and drink fruit juice of joy.

BlueberryMUNCH

Apr 15, 2010
PHOENIXRIDER57 said:
Please don't tell me to stop, because I am not addicted to it and could if I want to. I enjoy smoking.
What is this...I don't even...

Well, if you wanna likely die a slow and painful death and be plagued with health problems, a foul stink and disgusting teeth for the rest of your life, then that's cool, knock yourself out.

...I...ah dear. Well, cool story Slowbro. Quit now before it's too late.

Naal

Feb 24, 2009
Oh, I won't tell you to stop. If people quit smoking, then my department at work (cardiology) would have to depend on obesity and family history to bring in the business.

Please, continue. I'll see you in about thirty years when you have to have to have a triple bypass surgery because your LAD coronary artery is completely stopped up. It's okay, though: oxygen tanks are the new sexy!

Jenitals

Jan 15, 2011
Good for you. If you're endorsing smoking then I'd have to step up and ask you if your mental age is below 10 but as I cannot confirm this fact I'll just leave you and your long suffering lungs with this: This is not a good thing. Sort it out.

artanis_neravar

Apr 18, 2011
Rawne1980 said:
artanis_neravar said:
hy·per·bo·le
[hahy-pur-buh-lee]
noun Rhetoric .
obvious and intentional exaggeration.
an extravagant statement or figure of speech not intended to be taken literally, as ?to wait an eternity.?
Well done you, looking up words is fun.

I was just making a point there is no need to act like a smart arse and make yourself look......

pedantic [puh-dan-tik]  

pe·dan·tic 
adjective
ostentatious in one's learning.
overly concerned with minute details or formalisms, especially in teaching.

Oooh look, I can do it aswell. We can be like twins and skip through fields of corn on a summers day, take out a picnic with sandwiches made of love and rainbows and drink fruit juice of joy.
You are the one that tried to correct me on a detail that I was clearly exaggerating which, by the way makes you pedantic. Enjoy your hypocrisy

EeveeElectro

Cats.
Aug 3, 2008
It's nothing to be proud of... like telling everyone you soiled yourself in public.
Sounds like you're doing it for of a social thing to be honest and that all your friends are doing it.
I think certain circles find it cool, especially when you're in school.
When you're a bit older, you just complain about the price and the health problems and how badly you need one.

Xan Krieger

Completely insane
Feb 11, 2009
Daystar Clarion said:
Xan Krieger said:
Daystar Clarion said:
Xan Krieger said:
Daystar Clarion said:
Xan Krieger said:

When I was younger, my parents told me to never play with fire because you will get burned.

I know it's a weak analogy, but when the world is telling you that something is harming you, but you do it anyway, you sort of deserve all the stick you get for it.
I propose a deal then. You and everyone else can tell me smoking is bad and in return I can insult you for pointing out the obvious. It's only fair if you get to do that that I can in turn fire back.

Dec 14, 2009
Xan Krieger said:
Daystar Clarion said:
Xan Krieger said:
Daystar Clarion said:
Xan Krieger said:
Daystar Clarion said:
Xan Krieger said:

I propose a deal then. You and everyone else can tell me smoking is bad and in return I can insult you for pointing out the obvious. It's only fair if you get to do that that I can in turn fire back.
That's probably the most convoluted piece of logic ever, but whatever...

"Duhhhh! I know sticking my hand in this fire is burning me, but I'm gonna keep doing it anyway, it's my hand, I do what I want!"