Poll: I think there's something wrong with me.

EgoDeusEst

May 9, 2008
I am a sexually deprived guy, well out of my teens, whom no woman has ever wanted to get close to. Of course it feels different when a female gamer joins in on the fun.

damselgaming

Feb 3, 2009
At my GAME group interview last week, 3 guys asked me why I was there, then 6 sulked when I was good at Fifa and Guitar Hero, then 3 asked me for my number... so mixed responses.

I think there will always be a little rift about it. Sort of like if a guy turned up to an Ann Summers party. But hey-ho never mind.

Baby Tea

Just Ask Frankie
Sep 18, 2008
MercurySteam said:
Do you think this is right?
I don't think it's wrong.
It's a stigma that many people have. If I'm playing a game online and I see a girl join, I myself am often surprised. I don't treat them different, mind you, but I'm still surprised when it happens.

But I think that has more to do with the rarity of the event, not the idea that girls don't or can't play games. They certainly can and do, but let's be honest here: It's a male dominated past-time. Girl are getting more and more involved in gaming, that's true, but no matter how you spin the numbers, I think it's obvious they are in the minority.

katsa5

Aug 10, 2009
SultanP said:
katsa5 said:
... and there was that one guy that clearly (at least to me) thought of me as an intruder. We became friends when I shared a meal with him....
You make that guy sound like some sort of animal. Like visiting a friend whose dog is reproachful of you until you give it a biscuit.
I didn't think the details were necessary since its not the point, but since you've asked. What happened was, he didn't have enough money to buy lunch one day, so I shared mine with him.

Kermi

Elite Member
Nov 7, 2007
I've never found the concept of girls playing video games odd. It's really unnerving to me how many dudes turn into jerkholes when playing Halo with/against my wife.

sirdanrhodes

Nov 7, 2007
Ugh, I don't get all the hullabaloo about girl gamers, they are just a part of the master gaming race.

AnarchistAbe

The Original RageQuit Rebel
Sep 10, 2009
I do, but only because of the kind of language that spews from my mouth during online gaming. It makes me feel weird, like when you say something racist and there is someone of that race in the room....

P.S. I am not racist, but sometimes expletives take the form of racial slurs....

katsa5

Aug 10, 2009
MercurySteam said:
katsa5 said:
Speaking as a gamer girl, this is actually quite common. I once joined a DnD game in college, and there was that one guy that clearly (at least to me) thought of me as an intruder. We became friends when I shared a meal with him. My theory has always been that guys like having their own play areas that no one shall intrude in. You know, a place where guys can be guys and no girls allowed. And its ok.
As long as the girl contributes and does not take over. In the meantime, its ok to have that feeling, but don't act on it.
I don't have a problem with playing online with girls, but i guess I'm just not used to it. It's easy to play with males since the majority of them are used to recieving and handing out shit to other players as often as they frag. So no, I'm not sexist, cause if I was I would have a problem with playng online with girls, but I don't. I've never had the feeling of getting beaten by a girl, but if I did I suppose I'd just give them a round of appplause, cause I don't believe in treating people differently due to their race or sex.

*chuckle* I never said you were sexist. Just wanting a place to hangout and let loose, which is what you've just stated. Just finding hard to do that while there's a girl around. All I'm saying is that its quite commmon and don't worry about it. Just keep doing what you say you're doing, and its cool. And that's what gaming is all about *smile*.

Kermi

Elite Member
Nov 7, 2007
AnarchistAbe said:
I do, but only because of the kind of language that spews from my mouth during online gaming. It makes me feel weird, like when you say something racist and there is someone of that race in the room....

P.S. I am not racist, but sometimes expletives take the form of racial slurs....
I'm not a racist or homophobe, but I find myself blurting out some pretty harsh words when I'm getting owned at Halo 3, stuff I don't say or believe in real life as it were. I think I'll start making up words...

Jedoro

Jun 28, 2009
A player's a player to me.

That being said, a good player is a good player, and a bad player pisses me off.

rokkolpo

Aug 29, 2009
i just always question if their girls or trans.
you just don,t know.

but no i don,t mind.

SomethingUnrelated

Aug 29, 2009
I don't really react as much as I used to when a girl joins the game. Back in the day (3-4 years ago) i used to be all "OMG!" when one joined, but no more! You'll get over it.

katsa5

Aug 10, 2009
rokkolpo said:
you just don,t know.

but no i don,t mind.
I played with a guy like you in WoW once. One word: irritating.

theownerer

Aug 9, 2009
When a girl joins vent I leave because the raid will consist of 20 horny teenage boys with boners just wanting to talk with her all the god damn time.

Catfoot

Jul 29, 2009
I think i know what you mean about family having a big impact on it.
My sister could kick my ass on Tekken or Guitar Hero any day xD
Jedoro said:

That being said, a good player is a good player, and a bad player pisses me off.
A bad player pisses you off? Most of the time people cant help it...
I get what you mean when they have juggernaut, martyrdom, noob tube and shit like that pisses me off (oh yeah and people on halo who constantly frag) but not when theyre just plain bad.

rokkolpo

Aug 29, 2009
katsa5 said:
rokkolpo said:
you just don,t know.

but no i don,t mind.
I played with a guy like you in WoW once. One word: irritating.
i just happen to know that there are guys
who do this.

which freaks me out.i'm sorry

Iron Mal

Jun 4, 2008
Let's face facts, women are a minority in the gaming world. A rare (or at least rarer) sight to the typical teenage male nerd with a head set.

As with anything else that isn't overly common, there will inevitably be at least a slight change in your thought process or behavior.

I will admit that I probably act differently towards women online than I do to men but I don't get too carried away with it.

To a certain degree I agree with what katsa5 said (sometimes I have noticed that it can be more fun to simply have an all guys laugh fest and even get away with having the odd sexist joke or mysoginistic tale of the many fit babes we see in our travels) but on the other hand I also do enjoy interacting with women in online games and, on occasion, when doing DnD (there are times when I feel more at ease talking with women than I do with men).

Jedoro

Jun 28, 2009
Catfoot said:
I think i know what you mean about family having a big impact on it.
My sister could kick my ass on Tekken or Guitar Hero any day xD
Jedoro said:

That being said, a good player is a good player, and a fucking n00b pisses me off.
A bad player pisses you off? Most of the time people cant help it...
I get what you mean when they have juggernaut, martyrdom, noob tube and shit like that pisses me off (oh yeah and people on halo who constantly frag) but not when theyre just plain bad.
Good point, so fix'd