Poll: [If] England and America just went to war...

Kevlar Eater

Sep 27, 2009
Of course I'd side with America, after all, I'm American. But I can realistically see us fighting China within the decade with the UK attacking us while we're distracted.

Harveypot

Feb 20, 2011
I'm English so England. But we have the ultimate weapon that would turn any army into a crying wreck: Simon Cowell.

gphjr14

Aug 20, 2010
Spygon said:
Well being British i would side with my country.Just find it odd that the americans think they would only be fighting Britain in this situation we are a main member of the commonwealth and the EU what do you think would really happen.Also not losing an official war in 1000 years is not to bad either

But to be honest which ever country starts like it is going to lose i put money on firing nuclear weapons and both countries being rapidily blown off the map.
You probably wouldn't have faired so well in WWII if we hadn't had the Lend-Lease program.
Also WTF is an "official war" a lose is a lose.
And unless its the year 3000 (or you meant 100) you guys lost the Revolutionary War. The French helped us out big time on that one but maybe that wasn't an "official war." (It just resulted in the establishment of the United States of America)

demotion1

Mar 22, 2011
Neither. Cyprus was a colony of England and they treated us like crap. USA thinks they can bully every country around the world, they have destroyed a lot of countries by inciting rebellion (Libya is just the latest example, South America in the past) and they have attacked countries with no reason or with their reason being complete lies (Iraq).

You should stop with these war polls. War is no game, nobody in their right mind should want that.

shroomie

Mar 31, 2009
As an Englishman it is my duty to fight more my country when it's actually in danger, however I have family who are American and I dont really want to kill them. BUT there are people in both countries that just need to be gotten rid of and war would be a good excuse.

Yossarian90

Mar 12, 2009
Being Scottish I'd side with the Americans, I don't like them in particular either but I hate all that For Queen and Country crap

Spygon

May 16, 2009
gphjr14 said:
Spygon said:
Well being British i would side with my country.Just find it odd that the americans think they would only be fighting Britain in this situation we are a main member of the commonwealth and the EU what do you think would really happen.Also not losing an official war in 1000 years is not to bad either

But to be honest which ever country starts like it is going to lose i put money on firing nuclear weapons and both countries being rapidily blown off the map.
You probably wouldn't have faired so well in WWII if we hadn't had the Lend-Lease program.
And unless its the year 3000 (or you meant 100) you guys lost the Revolutionary War. The French helped us out big time on that one but maybe that wasn't an "official war." (It just resulted in the establishment of the United States of America)
I totally agree we would have deffinly struggled in world war two with out the lend-lease program.But fighting the war for several years with out support deffinly makes you run through resources at a rapid rate.

And quoted "warfare in the official sense is when a nation declares war on another" so the Revolutionary war was not an "official war" as there was not a recognised United States of America at the time so you could not officially declare war.That is why most countries outside the US call it the american revolution as it was a revolt.Before someone jumps in i am not saying the British empire did not lose to the americans just officially it has not been declared a war.

The last time the British lost an official war was against the french at the battle of hastings in 1066

DuctTapeJedi

Nov 2, 2010
So Canada, you guys got room for one more?
I'm not sticking around here...

How am I supposed to type this!?!?

Geekosaurus

Aug 14, 2010
Technically it would be Britain vs America. The Scots, Welsh and Northern Irish can't get out of this one.

gphjr14

Aug 20, 2010
Spygon said:
gphjr14 said:
Spygon said:

I totally agree we would have deffinly struggled in world war two with out the lend-lease program.But fighting the war for several years with out support deffinly makes you run through resources at a rapid rate.

And quoted "warfare in the official sense is when a nation declares war on another" so the Revolutionary war was not an "official war" as there was not a recognised United States of America at the time so you could not officially declare war.That is why most countries outside the US call it the american revolution as it was a revolt.Before someone jumps in i am not saying the British empire did not lose to the americans just officially it has not been declared a war.

The last time the British lost an official war was against the french at the battle of hastings in 1066
Semantics; for the men knee deep in the shit dieing and killing its war. Just like now with the whole Odyssey Dawn situation: It's not war its just us using military resources to kill another military force... but its not war until we sign a piece of paper saying so.

CrystalShadow

don't upset the insane catgirl
Apr 11, 2009
Well, the UK has 22 countries officially obliged to help it due to the commonwealth...

But most of those also have close ties to America. (Australia for instance, is obligated to help the UK, but has US military bases on it's soil... How is that going to work out?)

Still, if both countries get no outside help whatsoever, then the US will crush the UK.

I mean, it has 6 times the population base, far more natural resources...

It's not even remotely a fair fight.

If, however, alliances come into play, it'll get confusing, and down to who will help out and who won't.

And that's a pretty confusing question.

The commonwealth nations are technically expected to help the UK, but many of them have close military ties with the US as well.

Mainland Europe is in the same situation, but in all probability has more of a reason to try and help due to geographic proximity.

And keep in mind that the ability the US has of getting it's military and air force anywhere on the planet, partially depends on support from it's allies.

If that support were withdrawn...

(Where would the US be if it couldn't use European air bases? What about the early warning systems for missile attacks located in Australia? OK, so it wouldn't cripple them entirely, but it'd make things a lot harder than current military engagements would suggest.)

Dragonblade146

Dec 6, 2008
Well honestly, America is my home country, so I would side with them. But we also have one of the largest and toughest military forces in the world. Our equipment is one of the best out there. Lets compare say something like our Abrams tank. We have only lost, like 2 or 3 in the Gulf and Afghan. I don't remember where I read AND heard that, but look it up. The number is incrediably small. So right there, our tanks are 100% superior. Our APC's are incrediably tough to, like the Bradley, or the Humvee. While not so heavily armored the humvee can take a direct blast from an RPG and keep going. We have the largest Air Force in the world, AND the Iran's on our side.

Plus our military force is incrediably well trained. While not being number one, they are still some of the best fighting forces ut there. And we still ahve Iran on our side, as we supply them equipment. Those guys are crazy too, well battle hardened and trained since the day they turn 18, all of them.

Sure, America doens't have NATO, Russia, or any of that. But peice for peice, and tchnological to technological, we would win. And that being said, even if say England beat us back and started to occupy America they obviously forgot one thing. Japan, Germany, and all of them, are deathly afraid of occupying us. American's have so many guns its not even funny, and some of us know how to use them quite well. And even if we don't the sheer number of civillians with guns could put up a serious fight. Take example the French Resistance. Most of them were civies with almost no military training and they kicked ass, because no one expected the civies to fight. So take the quote a Japanese General once said. (I don't remember his name either.) "Never would I invade America, for behind ever blade of grass there would be a gun pointing at us."

bobdonkey

Jan 21, 2011
I'm from the UK, but if such a crazy scenario happened I imagine most countries would remain neutral and wait for America to quickly win, then talk with both about what the hell they were playing at.

Also, England isn't a sovereign state, so it couldn't declare war independently of the rest of the UK. Oh, and we don't own Canada. We share a Queen, but we don't run your stuff.

Wieke

Quite Dutch.
Mar 30, 2009
Neutral, unless the rest of the EU decides to help the UK out. Anyways i would be rooting for the UK, they have the best music.

coolicus

Oct 6, 2010
Brit here :).

I think the US would win but I don't think it would be a pretty conflict.

Fights between countries with proper military hardware and soldiers are never going to be pretty affairs - when you throw nukes into the equation.

Nobody is a real "winner" in a full scale conflict as the implications live on long after the animosity. Luckily I think this war is about as unlikely as they come.