Poll: If games cost $69.99 next gen?

DanielBrown

Dangerzone!
Dec 3, 2010
Considering that new games in Sweden already cost around $90... I'd be really excited.
However, that'd only end up upping our prices to even more insane amounts.

I'll keep buying my games from the UK in either case. So much cheaper there. I'd quit buying new games all togeather though.

Gidiel167

May 13, 2009
Yes I would. I rarely buy games anymore, and when i do they're games i want now. Plus i will usually buy the special edition if its offered with the game.

Abomination

Dec 17, 2012
Considering how this thread is mostly talking about console games getting a price hike I can't exactly answer.

I wouldn't "still" buy them because I don't buy them, I haven't owned a console since the Playstation 2.

As long as the price of PC games isn't affected I'll remain content or just continue waiting for sales - which seem to happen far more often with PC games than console games, not to mention PC games always seem to be about $10 cheaper than their console port.

Sep 14, 2009
Owyn_Merrilin said:
MercurySteam said:
Evil Smurf said:
Zhukov said:
This is Australia calling.

A day one, high profile PS3 game can cost $110.00 at some retailers here. And yes, our dollar is worth about the same as the US dollar.

We laugh at your alarm.

So yeah, personally I wouldn't be all that fussed. Besides, between Steam sales, GreenManGaming and other such sellers, I rarely pay full price these days.
Yep, we laugh at your American bewilderment!

FYI: 1 US Dollar equals 0.98 Australian Dollar
Looking to be 1.02 at the moment. The price of games have been varying of late but essentially prices are still the same. So when the next gen comes out, more expensive than the last, remember us.
It all comes down to wages and cost of living. Australians have higher wages (on average) than Americans, but it's balanced out by a higher cost of living. I saw someone on these forums once work out how many cans of coke you could buy for the cost of a game in each country, and it came out to exactly the same number of cans. You're still being reamed, but no more so than we are. It's just a bigger number, not actually a larger percentage of discretionary income.
while i do agree with your assessment and i have seen the numbers myself in my economics class (our teacher literally went over stuff like this, using Australia as an example) i would like to offer you a flame shield before the Australians throw every deadly animal they have at you in rage.

OpticalJunction

Jul 1, 2011
Baldr said:
Evil Smurf said:
Zhukov said:

A day one, high profile PS3 game can cost $110.00 at some retailers here. And yes, our dollar is worth about the same as the US dollar.

We laugh at your alarm.

So yeah, personally I wouldn't be all that fussed. Besides, between Steam sales, GreenManGaming and other such sellers, I rarely pay full price these days.

Yeah, but Australians also earn about 40% more in their jobs than their American counterparts.
We also pay a lot more for food and housing, among other things. The higher minimum wage is related to the higher cost of living.

Anyway I'm with the others, I'll just buy online or 2nd hand.

Auron

Mar 28, 2009
I already get most of my games from cd key resellers or GMG or Steam sales and will only pay 50$(60 on exceptional occasions.) for the ones I really want early so no, noway.

OtherSideofSky

Jan 4, 2010
There are very few games I'm willing to buy for $60, so I usually wait two to six months for prices to drop as it is. If games started costing $70 I might buy one new game at full price every two years, if that, because games good enough to justify that price are so rare than isn't even one every year.

Kopikatsu

May 27, 2010
babinro said:
Yes.

Games have been amazingly cheap for a LONG time now.
I wish things like food and gasoline could hold such steady prices for 20 years.

Obviously I never want to pay more for a game but I'd completely understand a price increase.
Yeah, this is how I feel about it. An extra $10 won't really affect me any.

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
You know what, I would be fucking thrilled if next gen games cost $70. That would make this generation the cheapest one for as long as I can remember. Right now a new game cost a little more than $100. Sadly the Wii U has already shown me that we wont get games that cheap any time soon.

CheckD3

Dec 9, 2009
I wouldn't. I bought a WiiU, and plan on rocking that for a good deal of Wii games, as well as kickin' with my trusty PS3 and my 360. Why spend 70 on a new game for a newer system, when I can catch up on past gens games for cheap and keep truckin' on. There are few games that have me itchin' for the PS4, unless they announce Sly 5 for it to come out as launch title, I'll do what I did with the PS3, get it 2 years after release when it's strong and sale savey and rock it late into the following gen.

bl4ckh4wk64

Walking Mass Effect Codex
Jun 11, 2010
There isn't really a "wait for the price to drop and then buy it new button," so I just said I'd keep/start buying used. Not all that true, but closer than the rest of the options. Let's face it. These companies like EA and Activision want your money, but they'll be smart about it. They aren't going to raise the price of a game when they can make even more by making you pay another $60 for a "Season Pass."

Atlas13

Jan 4, 2011
Actually, for some people, I don't think it'll be too much of a choice.

I remember hearing that EA will start charging $69.99 next gen. I also heard that the next XBOX won't be able to play used games. The PS4 also has a feature that let individual publishers decide to let used games play or not.

So for console owners, they might not be able to just wait it out.

CCountZero

Sep 20, 2008
Saucycarpdog said:
I've been hearing a lot of people wondering if the cost of games will be going up next gen since the costs to make games are still going to increase. So, I want to know from you fellow escapists.

Would you still buy games if the cost were to go up to $69.99?
If Console games ended up costing 70 USD, I'd be a happy man, 'cus here in Europe they can easily cost about the equivalent of 95 American bucks.

Assuming you guys currently pay around 55 though, the equivalent percentage increase for us Europeans would probably spell the end of me buying any more of the already few titles I do buy for my X360 though.

Doing 97% of my gaming on my home-built PC, I can't say it'd bother me all that much.

Extra-Ordinary

Elite Member
Mar 17, 2010
Um, no.
I mean, I'd buy a game if I really, REALLY wanted it but that me a purchase probably every two or three months.
Everything else, I'd buy used.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Baldr said:
Evil Smurf said:
Zhukov said:

We laugh at your alarm.

Yeah, but Australians also earn about 40% more in their jobs than their American counterparts.
I don't actually know this, but by pure extension (and how I understand money to work), this means cost of living would be significantly higher as well.

OT: The last game I bought full price was Mirror's Edge (I regret nothing). I simply don't buy anything at full price, so full price rising wouldn't affect me.

VoidWanderer

Sep 17, 2011
Zhukov said:

We laugh at your alarm.

Yeah... pretty much this.

Can't wait for the Aust Gov't lawsuit against the big companes to sort this out.