Poll: If You Fought In The American Civil War, Who Would You Fight For?

HTID Raver

Jan 7, 2010
i like the souths grey uniforms better but i guess the north.

im sure mexicans werent liked by the south either...

Mcface

Aug 30, 2009
Noelveiga said:
Mcface said:
hippykiller said:
I was just wondering which side you good people would fight for. You have the Union fighting for the North. and you have the Confederacy fighting for the South.

I personally would fight for the south. why? well becuase im an Irish Republican and a catholic. and i don't like the idea of a government that forces beliefs and laws on states that don't agree with them. and a whole majority of people who fought for the Union were German anti-Catholic immigrants. but that's just me. so, people of the escapist... Time To Pick Sides!
I'm an Irish-American, and we would both be fighting on the union side buddy.
A HUGE percentage of union soldiers were Irish, because of the influx of Irish immigrants to the east coast during the war, they were pretty much instantly drafted, off one ship, onto the other, and sent away to war. I'd even go as far as saying the North would have lost the war if it weren't for the Irish immigrants.

I hate the idea of government telling us how to live, but I also don't like slavery. However, at the time, we wouldn't have been able to find work anywhere else. I also may or may not be a member of the ARA.

Isn't it sadly ironic that the OP is claiming that he'd support the guys who defended slavery because he doesn't like the idea of people telling him what to do?

US conservatives are just twisted. I honestly don't know what they believe in anymore and, being European, I have to admit they feel kind of scary.
Both American sides, Conservative and Liberal, are equally fucked in the head.

Plurralbles

Jan 12, 2010
the question is kind of stupid. There are no one on these boards that have the prejudices and ignorances or monetary pressures of the southeners.

I'm ohion so I'm inclined to say North.

Spekter068

Sep 4, 2009
Maxieon said:
I would fight for the Union because my ancestor Ole Fredrickson (the papers say Frederickson) fought for the union.
What unit was he in?

My great-great-grandfather was Major Madison Bowler, originally an officer in the 1st Minnesota, and later in charge of the 3rd.

UtopiaV1

Feb 8, 2009
Aby_Z said:
If I had to, North. Slavery is bad etc, etc. I'd more likely just go ahead and make my way to Canada though...
You are aware the north only abolished slavery for propaganda principles, to get more people to fight on the side of the north, as the rest of the world had abolished slavery decades ago, and saw America (the south in particular now) as archaic in principles.

They didn't exactly do it out of the kindness of their hearts. Then again, when has any country done something for that reason? ¬_¬

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
Spekter068 said:
Maxieon said:
I would fight for the Union because my ancestor Ole Fredrickson (the papers say Frederickson) fought for the union.
What unit was he in?

My great-great-grandfather was Major Madison Bowler, originally an officer in the 1st Minnesota, and later in charge of the 3rd.
He was in the Wisconsin 8th and 13th infantry regiment. He was discharged the first time because he was blinded, but he was re-enlisted later.

vodkainferno

Dec 31, 2009
North all the way.
*Chest thump* Born in New hampshire, raised in new york!
Northie all the way!

mokes310

Oct 13, 2008
hippykiller said:
I was just wondering which side you good people would fight for. You have the Union fighting for the North. and you have the Confederacy fighting for the South.

I personally would fight for the south. why? well becuase im an Irish Republican and a catholic. and i don't like the idea of a government that forces beliefs and laws on states that don't agree with them. and a whole majority of people who fought for the Union were German anti-Catholic immigrants. but that's just me. so, people of the escapist... Time To Pick Sides!
So you would have been in favor of slavery then?

JohanGasMask

Jun 25, 2009
I personaly dont know mutch about the american civil war so im not gonna take this thread seriously and just attemmtp to be funny so i can forget all of the serious problems with our fellow man. So, i would just create my own group of freedom fighters in alaska where we fight for the rights for everybody to eating Eal pie in america...(Yeah i know im fucking stupid)

CrashertheSmasher

Jul 16, 2009
i'd fight for the south. not because i belive in the cause but it's just where i live and i'd be to lazy and just shoot people from my pourch

Jark212

Certified Deviant
Jul 17, 2008
Union, my home is much less likely to get pillaged, and my money wouldn't be backed up by cotton...

I'd make General in a week for my tactics that don't revolve around lining up my men and telling them to shoot everyone not wearing the same uniform as them...

But I'd be shot for being a coward when I take cover...

Blatherscythe

Oct 14, 2009
Internet Kraken said:
Neither. I don't find the idea of getting my leg amputated to be thrilling. Besides, neither side can really claim to be the good guys.
The North wanted the South to stop using slaves and the South basicly said fuck you. In short, North=Good, South=Lazy, evil, slave driving, racists, and it was war and in war anything goes.

If I fought in that war I would be on the North's side for humanitarian reasons. Plus, they had Lincon.

UtopiaV1

Feb 8, 2009
Noelveiga said:
UtopiaV1 said:
You are aware the north only abolished slavery for propaganda principles, to get more people to fight on the side of the north, as the rest of the world had abolished slavery decades ago, and saw America (the south in particular now) as archaic in principles.
Yeah, like we do these days with the US's lack of socialized medicine and refusal to ban the death penalty.

Maybe if the US has a second Civil War their society will get to advance to the late 20th century this time. They should try.
Oh no, never advocate war! I mean, seriously, what is it good for?

Terrible pop-music aside, the UK should just threaten to return to the US to collect their back-taxes... that would shake their government up enough for them to actually do something!

Littlee300

Oct 26, 2009
Riobux said:
The English. We'd just wait for both sides to battle out and then kill the survivors.I just now need to go a moustache to curl around my finger while laughing diabolically.
The score is still 1: Americans 0:English :)
Blatherscythe said:
Internet Kraken said:
Neither. I don't find the idea of getting my leg amputated to be thrilling. Besides, neither side can really claim to be the good guys.
The North wanted the South to stop using slaves and the South basicly said fuck you. In short, North=Good, South=Lazy, evil, slave driving, racists, and it was war and in war anything goes.

If I fought in that war I would be on the North's side for humanitarian reasons. Plus, they had Lincon.
Can't blame south, there economy would have crashed without slaves, since there rural farmers but north are industrial people so they would of survived.

EnzoHonda

Mar 5, 2008
So, if I fight for the South, I get slaves, but I have to screw my sister.

If I fight for the North, no free gardener, but I don't screw my sister.

The federal government forcing the states to abolish slavery was a good thing. Go North.

My post may be offensive, but then, so is this thread. What next,"Would you have been a Nazi?"