Poll: If you had to lose one sense, what would it be?

Zenn3k

Feb 2, 2009
bulbasaur765 said:
Probably smell. That seems to be the sense I use the least.
Most of the way taste works is directly tied to smell. For example, eat an Apple and smell an Orange. The Apple will taste like an orange.

I'd probably go with Taste, since taste really only decides if something is salty, sweet, or bitter.

Light 086

Feb 10, 2011
Taste for me, cause I can live without it and live healthier. I really hate the taste of cooked peppers, it makes me gag.

Smell would be useful in survival situations like fire, carbon monoxide, rotten food, and zombies =P

ComicsAreWeird

Oct 14, 2010
-Being blind would change my life completely (i couldnt do my job, i couldnt see my family and friends,i couldnt enjoy most of my hobbies...)
-Being deaf would keep me from enjoying music, it would limit my survival skills and i couldnt comunicate with my parents (they live in another country and i usually talk to them on the phone)
-Without touch you cant tell if somethings hurting you or not. Besides, some of the best things in the world involve touching, heh.
-I love eating. Sooooooo...

...sorry, smell.I love having you around but you pulled out the shortest straw.

Laser Priest

A Magpie Among Crows
Mar 24, 2011
I'd give up my sixth sense, actually.

EDIT: And to everyone talking about how they like food and would give up smell, Smell contributes just as much to flavor as taste does.

LikeDustInTheWind

Mar 29, 2010
I find it kind of funny that more people picked losing touch over sight. Without touch, you lose all bodily awareness.

OT: Smell, definitely. Is it wierd that I've thought about this before?

Telekinesis

Apr 26, 2008
I was gonna vote for smell, but then I realized it's somewhat important to me... I love to smell people I love, it has a comforting feel to it. So I went with taste.

GundamSentinel

The leading man, who else?
Aug 23, 2009
People have way more senses than just those five, you know.

Ok, ok, out of those five I'd pick taste. Smell is a large part of your taste experience anyways, I don't need taste.

TheHaunted

Nov 25, 2009
I would go with touch.
I love tasting, smelling, hearing, and seeing. I already have experience with the loss of touch when my nerves were being stretched out, so it is the one sense I could do without.

Bekn

Mar 16, 2011
King of the Sandbox said:
Touch. No touchy means no pain. I'd be like a super hero.

Barring that, smell. Smell is way over-rated. It's only really useful function is making food taste better.
Bear in mind that without being able to feel things you would die very easily. You wouldn't be able to tell when you're body has touched something, if you're too hot or cold, where your tongue is in your mouth, all sorts of things.

You could end up running yourself a bath, scolding yourself and giving yourself serious burns without even realising. Not being able to feel anything, aside from the superhero perk, would suck so bad.

EDIT: I vote smell because it's the least valuable to me.

cruzermac619

Mar 14, 2011
Obviously smell. It's the most unnecessary out of the bunch. And I enjoy food too much to give up taste. Even though without the sense of smell you won't be able to taste some foods.