Poll: If you knew FOR A FACT that playing video games were slowly killing you...

AdamRC27

Feb 2, 2011
UmJammerSully said:
1 hour takes 4 hours of life away? Then no way. If it was something more reasonable like 1 hour of gaming is 1 hour of life lost then absolutely.
Well doesn't playing one hour of videos games technically take 1 hour off of your life to begin with?

ChildishLegacy

Apr 16, 2010
Smokers do know that it's slowly killing them, yet they continue.
Doubt it would be much different with video games xP (except there's no physical addictive drug in them I guess)

Kizi

Apr 29, 2011
First I'd buy a BUNCH of new games and die with friggin' style!
So indeed, I would keep playing.

Sonicron

Do the buttwalk!
Mar 11, 2009
I suppose I'd start saving up for a luxury coffin designed to look like an NES controller.

And pop in the next game.

Thespian

Sep 11, 2010
I'd stop for sure and find another outlet, but... I'd play for an hour and be like "Eh, can't hurt too bad." but then I'd end up staying on it for days and then I'd just die v_v

razer17

Feb 3, 2009
Well, considering there is 8760 hours in a year, which would mean dying 4 years earlier, I think I'd continue playing games, because I doubt I'd even reach that many hours of gameplay. The game I have spent the longest completing are Persona 3 and 4, both around 50-60 hours. That means I could complete those games 159 times in my life and lose 4 years. Considering the games took me roughly a month each to complete, and that's with not much else going on, so with work etc. on top of that say it takes 2 months to complete 55 hours of gameplay, that would mean it would take 26 years to do one year of solid gaming. Would I play that many games as an adult? Probably not.

So what I have done here is really over thought this topic and done some maths. But it lets me say yes, yes I'd continue gaming. Even if I lost 4-6 years of my life, it would come off the end, and by the time I get old life expectancy will probably be well into the 80's anyway, and who wants to be that old?

BlindChance

Librarian
Sep 8, 2009
Phew. That's a doozy.

Look, in the end, I'd probably stop playing. Much as I love games, I have someone I love more, and I'd be crazy not to keep every second that I can to be with her.

Cormitt

Apr 16, 2009
It would like take away the adult diaper wearing years and I'm all in favor of that.

General BrEeZy

Jul 26, 2009
nah. fictional credits and commendations dont hold a candle to my real lifespan, i'd drop the games if that were the case and get out and do other stuff. no matter how hard or how long it took.

Quaidis

Jun 1, 2008
If videogames took on the property of drugs, then I would quit while I was ahead. After all, the people in charge would probably make gaming illegal and I don't have the time to spend in jail just because I wanted to get the gold chocobo.

It also depends how it 'sucks away _ years of life'. It's not as simple as "Suddenly... You die!" I mean, if you get lung cancer, you're in some serious agony for quite a while. What if gaming addiction leads to something like your eyes and thumbs turning necrotic, or your body rotting away like with krokodil - but much, much slower. If you think of it like that, then it really isn't worth it.