Poll:Immortality or Invincibility

Iron Mal

Jun 4, 2008
Invincability would be the lesser of two evils here, your life wouldn't be unnaturally prolonged but you still have the capacity to live a long and interesting life without fear of anything.

Silva

Apr 13, 2009
Hard choice.

Immortality
Advantages
- Live forever!
- Watch the world move.
- See more of the world than anyone else, if you're relatively lucky.
- Meet more people, have more relationships, and in general: really live more.
- Opportunity for riches is huge. We're talking... ruling the world and living in a chocolate palace, here.

Disadvantages
- Watch your friends grow old and die, one by one. Yippee?
- Having it virtually guarantees that your death will be violent.
- If you're locked up for "life", that's a long, long time. Of course, the chains will rot eventually... unless you're in a nuclear vault. Then you'll probably come out when a new race makes you look redundant. Cue more imprisonment - you'd be the new King Kong.
- If something truly breaks you, you'd be broken forever, rather than being allowed the peace of death. Unless you suicide, which is an unpleasant way to go.

Invincibility
Advantages
- Look maw, no death! Yet...
- You can probably become a military superweapon, if you're into that sort of thing.
- Riches ensue.

Disadvantages
- If you are locked up, what will you do? Being invincible doesn't mean unsealable.
- How exactly are you going to have surgery for old age issues when you're invincible? They can't exactly cut you open... so your life expectancy is probably half that of everyone else.

After looking at the disadvantages of these, and the extremes of possibility posed by each, I think I'd say: neither. Living life without such unnatural additions is a philosophically strong standpoint.

Besides, it'd be hard to be motivated if you had something like this keeping you from dying. Survival instinct is, after all, what drives us.

Of course, if you'd said we'd be able to control these powers at will, I'd choose one. Probably immortality in that case. Because being able to decide to start aging is just better.

Internet Kraken said:
Certain things in life are only exciting because they are dangerous. If they no longer pose a threat to you, then they won't be as thrilling. Jumping off cliffs and absorbing bullets will get boring at some point.
I'm sorry (and it's possible that in five pages someone thought to tell you), but if this were true, would we play video games?

Vlane

Sep 14, 2008
Invincibility because being immortal isn't all that fun if you have read the cracked article about superpowers.

TheRundownRabbit

Wicked Prolapse
Aug 27, 2009
hello, have any of you seen Highlander, if your immortal and your head gets cut off you wont die, it will be like your dead and if your a christian, you wont be able to get to heaven.

I choose invincibility

Ben Legend

Apr 16, 2009
Housebroken Lunatic said:
Immortality all the way. It's not that hard preventing yourself from getting killed by unnatural means.
True, but sadly, there are always accidents, and if someone was to discover your ability, they may try to kill you out of jealousy, or some sick motive.

Housebroken Lunatic

Sep 12, 2009
Ben Legend said:
True, but sadly, there are always accidents, and if someone was to discover your ability, they may try to kill you out of jealousy, or some sick motive.
Already have those eventualities covered.

Ben Legend

Apr 16, 2009
Housebroken Lunatic said:
Ben Legend said:
Already have those eventualities covered.
How would you go about it? Not that I'm going to steal your idea when i'm Immortal. *shifts eyes cunningly*

Lieju

Jan 4, 2009
Immortality, as long as I could die eventually when I'm bored of life, or the planet has been made uninhabitable.

drakenabarion

Demiurge
Sep 11, 2009
Lieju said:
Immortality, as long as I could die eventually when I'm bored of life, or the planet has been made uninhabitable.
So as long as you arent bored, or before 2020 (I couldn't help myself on that one ;)

Aw-kward

Sep 20, 2009
Really, what's the point of immortality without the Required Secondary Powers? If I'm going to be purely human, I want to die at some point; if I'm going to be immortal, I need something equally superhuman to keep me amused for millennia.

In short, invincibility.

Pinguin

Aug 15, 2009
Immortality, certainly by your definition would be brilliant. You could see all the ages of the World and more.

Yes there would also be pain, and loss. But if this became too much you could end your life.

Of course this goes against the traditional definition, wherein you *cannot* die, even by your own hand. That lack of choice would make it an unbearable option.

C117

Aug 14, 2009
Invincibility. I'd prefer getting a quick, sweet death in my sleep when I am old and tired, after living a fulfilling life, rather than living until I'm sick of life and then get brutally murdered/obliterated.

Housebroken Lunatic

Sep 12, 2009
outcast_within said:
invincibility, i'd go shoplifting so bad and no-one could stop me, muahahahahaa
You sure? Just because you're invincible, it doesn't necessarily mean you have super strength as well. So while the security guards might not be able to kill you, they could sure as hell gang up on you and cast you in irons. What good would invincibility do you then? : )

Viking_IV

Feb 11, 2009
Invincibility. I really don't like the idea of potentially living forever, watching friends and loved ones die whilst you are completely fine. I'd much prefer invincibility, where I wouldn't have to fear death until it came naturally.