Poll: iPods

KimberlyGoreHound

Mar 17, 2010
Alright, I'm looking at getting an iPod, either the Classic 160GB or Touch 64GB (both current generation), and I'm looking for some advice from iPod owners. If you've had problems with one of the above, please let me know - or if you have one of them and think it's absolutely fabulous, please respond. Your input is valued.

The poll doesn't want to cooperate. The options are (top to bottom):

Classic - love it
Classic - hate it
Touch - love it
Touch - hate it

Misc answers such as iPod shuffle, Zune or whateverthefuckelse are fine too.

KimberlyGoreHound

Mar 17, 2010
Ephraim J. Witchwood said:
Get something more generic, like a SanDisk Sansa or something. As long as it doesn't use iTunes. iTunes is malware that Apple gets away with...
I can't find any other MP3 players that go up to the storage which I require (minimum 64GB). If you know any, please point me in their direction.

Marter

Elite Member
Legacy
Oct 27, 2009
I've got a Touch. I really like it. The apps are definitely worth it.

lissn

Dec 13, 2009
iPhone here, but close enough - I voted iPod Touch. Never gonna give you up n_n

DataSnake

Aug 5, 2009
It really depends what you want. If you only intend to use it to store music and video, go with the classic, since it has 160GB of storage and costs less than the 64GB touch. If you want to play games, surf the web, record video, check e-mail, read books, and so on, the touch is probably your best bet, since it's essentially an iPhone without the contract. But if you get the touch, be sure to get a third-party display cover (I recommend the ZAGG Invisible Shield, but if you can wait the new OtterBox case comes out on the 30th), since the glass screen is a fingerprint magnet.

Delusibeta

Reachin' out...
Mar 7, 2010
KimberlyGoreHound said:
Get something more generic, like a SanDisk Sansa or something. As long as it doesn't use iTunes. iTunes is malware that Apple gets away with...
I can't find any other MP3 players that go up to the storage which I require (minimum 64GB). If you know any, please point me in their direction.
Creative! Specifically, ZEN X-Fi2. [http://us.store.creative.com/ZEN-XFi2-64GB/M/B003G4T508.htm] Do note that the Amazon reviews suggest that it's a bit buggy.

Seriously, currently have a Zen Vision M, and it's mint. Such a pity that that they abandoned the greater than 16Gb market until recently, rendering Apple with a de-facto monopoly in that sector.

KimberlyGoreHound

Mar 17, 2010
DataSnake said:
It really depends what you want. If you only intend to use it to store music and video, go with the classic, since it has 160GB of storage and costs less than the 64GB touch.
My biggest concern is the hardware of the Classic being a mini hard drive, and the Touch being flash memory, I'm wondering if the Classic would have a tendency to encounter problems sooner than the Touch, or if with proper handling, it'll be just fine.

x0ny

Dec 6, 2009
If you buy any tracks off iTunes, you can only transfer a track up to 5 times, even though you have purchased the song. Great right?

iPod sound quality is the equivalent of being puked in the ear. No equalizer, no bass, not enough treble, flat sound. There are no headphones that can come to the rescue of an iPod.

Edit: I have the iPod Touch.

Dags90

Oct 27, 2009
KimberlyGoreHound said:
My biggest concern is the hardware of the Classic being a mini hard drive, and the Touch being flash memory, I'm wondering if the Classic would have a tendency to encounter problems sooner than the Touch, or if with proper handling, it'll be just fine.
With proper handling it should be fine, there's no reason a hard drive shouldn't last you at least 3 years. And in three years pretty much will have smartphones that hold all their music anyway.

KimberlyGoreHound

Mar 17, 2010
KimberlyGoreHound said:
Well, there's the Zune HD. I can't say how well the software works since I haven't had any time with it, but from what I have heard, the Zune itself is much better than any iPod.

Some other options are the Zune 120 Gears of War Special Edition (it's the cheapest Zune 120 right now), the Creative Labs ZEN X-Fi2 64GB (which I know nothing about), and I can't seem to find much else. You may want to look into some of the Archos Internet Tablets that are running on Android, as they make great PMPs.

One question, though. Is 64GB really necessary for you?
Thank you, you've been very helpful and I will review this information at the soonest convenience.

And yes, 64GB is really necessary.

tiredinnuendo

Jan 2, 2008
x0ny said:
If you buy any tracks off iTunes, you can only transfer a track up to 5 times, even though you have purchased the song. Great right?

iPod sound quality is the equivalent of being puked in the ear. No equalizer, no bass, not enough treble, flat sound. There are no headphones that can come to the rescue of an iPod.

Edit: I have the iPod Touch.
Define "transfer". I haven't bought stuff off iTunes yet, because honestly I'm not really a fan, but this is information I don't have.

- J

Infinatex

BLAM!Headshot?!
May 19, 2009
Touch - you can do so much more with it, plus you will never really need to have 160GB of music with you. Mine is a 32GB iPhone and I never find myself wishing I had more music on me.

TheRealCJ

Mar 28, 2009
I've got a classic (the current 160GB one, after my fifth gen gave up the ghost)

And honestly, the only reason I haven't chucked it for another kind of MP3 player is that there's hardly any large-capacity players on the market today.

The interface is terrible compared to iPods past, and the touch wheel is so insensitive that I actually have to remove it from it's protective case if I want to change the volume, scroll through my music, or just about do anything that involves the wheel.

AmayaOnnaOtaku

The Babe with the Power
Mar 11, 2010
TheRealCJ said:
I've got a classic (the current 160GB one, after my fifth gen gave up the ghost)

And honestly, the only reason I haven't chucked it for another kind of MP3 player is that there's hardly any large-capacity players on the market today.

The interface is terrible compared to iPods past, and the touch wheel is so insensitive that I actually have to remove it from it's protective case if I want to change the volume, scroll through my music, or just about do anything that involves the wheel.
MY thoughts exactly. Those of us with a MASSIVE amount of music are bound to the ipod classic. I personally am on my 3rd one. (120 GB)

KimberlyGoreHound

Mar 17, 2010
AmayaOnnaOtaku said:
TheRealCJ said:

MY thoughts exactly. Those of us with a MASSIVE amount of music are bound to the ipod classic. I personally am on my 3rd one. (120 GB)
Thank you, this is the kind of advice I needed! If anyone else echoes these sentiments, please let it be said, because I am certainly relying on the information I glean from perusing this thread to make my decision.

JochemDude

Nov 23, 2010
Classic all the way. Cause i'm a huge audiophile and the classic is the only one that has the space for a decent amount off lossless music. (1 song is about 10-20 MB) together with my Monster-Beats by Dr Dre studio headphones.... it is almost a fetish