Poll: iPods

AwesomeExpress

Packages Delivered: 84 / 1900
Feb 4, 2010
The only problem I've had with my iPod was, when the headphones had broken, I thought the problem was with the iPod, and so I tried to reset it to factory settings, but that took away the pedometer, which I really enjoyed and was making great use out of...

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
Ephraim J. Witchwood said:
Get something more generic, like a SanDisk Sansa or something. As long as it doesn't use iTunes. iTunes is malware that Apple gets away with...
^ agree, kinda.

iTunes is an excuse for apple to have a monopoly.

Get a Gogear Aria. They're great.

KimberlyGoreHound

Mar 17, 2010
Hashime said:
Where is to option of I do not have nor want one?
Since this is for me to get a better idea of which one to get (or misc other one N.O.S.), there was no option because I didn't need the feedback. But the real answer is because I forgot. Soz.

RobCoxxy

Feb 22, 2009
32GB ancient ipod. Other than the occassional freeze and shite battery life, I love it.
Just need moar room.

x0ny

Dec 6, 2009
tiredinnuendo said:
To be fair, when I download stuff, I usually convert it to a common format for ease of use. Is it possible to run iTunes music through a converter and make it a normal MP3 that you can copy indefinitely?

Do all the computers have to be online at once to cause an issue, or is it cumulative? In other words, will I lose my music after I reimage a single computer six times?

If they all have to be online at once, would iTunes actually have to be launched on each box at the same time? I would assume so, but I'm just not sure.

Depending on the specifics, that might not be as bad as all that. I think I can manage to not have the same iTunes library open on six different machines all at once, plus my various iPods/Phones.

- J
Well if you could convert that would ultimately destroy Apple's DRM for protecting music, give it a shot, but why buy music from iTunes anyway. I buy music on CDs and rip, at least you can do as you wish with the tracks afterwards. Please note I don't use my iPod touch or iTunes, I use a Samsung P3 and MediaMonkey.

I did a little digging around and apparently computers are registered to an iTunes account. Each computer is identified by something on the motherboard. You can register up to 5 comps on one account, regardless of whether they're online or not. But I think you can clear that list of comps and start fresh if you need to, not 100% sure.

dex-dex

Oct 20, 2009
i have a classic ipod, the only problem is sometimes the wheel does not acknowledge your finger and it will not work.

I would get a touch but out in the cold, i would need to take off my mittens and i don't want to do that. I know people who use their noses but just no ew.

Aerodyamic

Aug 14, 2009
So, what's this iPod thing I hear everyone talk about? I'm almost convinced that it's some kind of STD/STI that makes you want other people to have it, and I'm not sure my vaccinations are up to date.

tiredinnuendo

Jan 2, 2008
x0ny said:
tiredinnuendo said:
To be fair, when I download stuff, I usually convert it to a common format for ease of use. Is it possible to run iTunes music through a converter and make it a normal MP3 that you can copy indefinitely?

Do all the computers have to be online at once to cause an issue, or is it cumulative? In other words, will I lose my music after I reimage a single computer six times?

If they all have to be online at once, would iTunes actually have to be launched on each box at the same time? I would assume so, but I'm just not sure.

Depending on the specifics, that might not be as bad as all that. I think I can manage to not have the same iTunes library open on six different machines all at once, plus my various iPods/Phones.

- J
Well if you could convert that would ultimately destroy Apple's DRM for protecting music, give it a shot, but why buy music from iTunes anyway. I buy music on CDs and rip, at least you can do as you wish with the tracks afterwards. Please note I don't use my iPod touch or iTunes, I use a Samsung P3 and MediaMonkey.

I did a little digging around and apparently computers are registered to an iTunes account. Each computer is identified by something on the motherboard. You can register up to 5 comps on one account, regardless of whether they're online or not. But I think you can clear that list of comps and start fresh if you need to, not 100% sure.
Oh no, don't misunderstand, I'm wondering how draconian Apple's copy protection is. I don't buy from them unless I really see no other way. Generally I buy my MP3's from Amazon. I don't buy CD's anymore for the same reason I don't eat raw mastodon as I hunch near a crude fire, plus there's the issue of how much space things like music, movies, and video games take up in a house when you insist on having hard copies.

Your second paragraph is worrying though. I rebuild my PC semi-often, and it gets a new SID every time, thus Apple would see it as a new system. I don't buy from iTunes now, but it seems like if I did, I'd lose access to my music within a years time if the list of machines doesn't clear itself every so often. Disconcerting.

Anyway, thanks for the heads up.

- J

MorsePacific

Nov 5, 2008
I have an old 30 GB iPod Video and I love it. The touch is nice, but I see no real reason for me to upgrade.

Dys

Sep 10, 2008
KimberlyGoreHound said:
Ephraim J. Witchwood said:
Get something more generic, like a SanDisk Sansa or something. As long as it doesn't use iTunes. iTunes is malware that Apple gets away with...
I can't find any other MP3 players that go up to the storage which I require (minimum 64GB). If you know any, please point me in their direction.
I don't think there are any (perhaps some that allow expandable storage using SD cards, so 32gb solid state+32gb sd). Is there any specific need for such a huge storage capacity? ipods are, and have always been, horribly expensive compared to their direct competition.

If you must get one, I'd say get the touch, they have games and there is at least a direct advantage to them (over storage capacity) over other brands, in the huge variety of apps available.

RUINER ACTUAL

Oct 29, 2009
JUMBO PALACE said:
The Touch is more than worth it's price. Get it now!
No Flash support, no expandable memory, no multitasking, and non open source development is worth more than it's price? It costs like 1/4 that price to make the damn thing. I'm not trying to troll you, I'm just trying to understand what you're getting at. I have a Droid X. It does all those things, is cheaper, and acts like a regular cell phone on top of it!

IMO: At this point in mobile technology, standalone MP3 players are worthless. If you don't have something that can do EVERYTHING you have wasted your money. There is no longer a reason to carry around a phone, mp3 player, high MP camera, and laptop/netbook/tablet.

Go out and buy a new iPod so next September it will be outdated! Apple is to hardware what Activision is to yearly releases.

DataSnake

Aug 5, 2009
RUINER ACTUAL said:
No Flash support, no expandable memory, no multitasking, and non open source development is worth more than it's price? It costs like 1/4 that price to make the damn thing. I'm not trying to troll you, I'm just trying to understand what you're getting at. I have a Droid X. It does all those things, is cheaper, and acts like a regular cell phone on top of it!

IMO: At this point in mobile technology, standalone MP3 players are worthless. If you don't have something that can do EVERYTHING you have wasted your money. There is no longer a reason to carry around a phone, mp3 player, high MP camera, and laptop/netbook/tablet.
First off, the 4th gen touch DOES have multitasking. Second, the SkyFire browser can play flash video and it only costs $3. Third, if you jailbreak it (not terribly complex to do), you DO get a lot of open software as well as a TREMENDOUS amount of tweaks. Fourth and most importantly, the touch doesn't have any sort of contract. You pay for the device, then it's YOURS.

BTW, at this point, calling the touch an "mp3 player" is like calling a PS3 "a blu-ray player". It's technically true, but grossly understates its abilities.

Marowit

Nov 7, 2006
Classic - Hate

Planned obsolescence is a business model I absolutely abhor, and there is no one that does it better than Apple. The only Apple product I had that lasted for more than 2 years was the original shuffle, yeah the one that was a white-usb-stick with a play button, and as someone who was a big fan of Apple I can say I know I won't be buying anymore Apple products.

Don't get me wrong, I really like a lot of their program/OS features, but oh man I cannot stand their business model.

ginty2

The Shadow Premier
Dec 16, 2008
I have a 80GB classic from 3 years ago and i love it. I use my ipod 8-9 hours a day 5 days a week and it still goes on with no freezes or bad files. personally i would get a 160 if you need the space. 160 should be more than enough for your purposes. personally i love apple products, they are good quality devices that have a good deal of usefulness.

TheRightToArmBears

Dec 13, 2008
I have a latest gen 160GB Classic, it's perfect really, but get a sock for it, that back scuffs up quick. I'm getting an iPhone soon so it might get less usage, the trooper.

Koroviev

Oct 3, 2010
I have a Classic iPod, and I haven't had any problems with it. However, I don't use it all that often. For the most part, I just stream music for free on Grooveshark. It's a lot cheaper.

Koroviev

Oct 3, 2010
Marowit said:
Classic - Hate

Planned obsolescence is a business model I absolutely abhor, and there is no one that does it better than Apple. The only Apple product I had that lasted for more than 2 years was the original shuffle, yeah the one that was a white-usb-stick with a play button, and as someone who was a big fan of Apple I can say I know I won't be buying anymore Apple products.

Don't get me wrong, I really like a lot of their program/OS features, but oh man I cannot stand their business model.
[url = http://arstechnica.com/apple/guides/2010/10/the-21st-century-guide-to-platform-trolling-apple-edition.ars]Here[/url] is an interesting article, published by Ars Technica, concerning Apple's often frustrating business model. It's fairly long, but it kept my attention.

EmzOLV

Oct 20, 2010
My option isn't up there but I still have and love my first iPod mini ^^
It's never, ever let me down.
Years down the line ;)