Poll: iPods

Jelly ^.^

Mar 11, 2010
My last-generation Nano broke 3 days after it was out of warranty.

Apple and their planned obsolescence can go die, I haven't bought one of their crappy gadgets since.

The Artificially Prolonged

Random Semi-Frequent Poster
Jul 15, 2008
iPod classic, love it, except for itunes, i hate itunes. I'm just one of those weird people who needs all their music where ever they go, even though it's impossible to listen to it all.

ThatLankyBastard

Aug 18, 2010
I love my Touch... It can play movies, music, and games on it... I have all the answers to this years exams on it (***** to get, don't ask)... And I have lots of pictures of random crap on it...

And "Other Things" *cough cough*...

Rewdalf

Usually Sacrastic
Jan 6, 2010
I got a touch for christmas last year, shrugging it off as yet another iPod fad.
Well it proved to be rather useful and entertaining.
Although you've got to stop thinking of it as a music player...
It's a handheld touchscreen computer with music playing capabilities.
But yeah, I think it's great, and I personally can't go back to my old iPod. The lack of buttons would annoy me to no end...

SturmDolch

This Title is Ironic
May 17, 2009
I have a 5th generation iPod video. It broke once when I attached it to my aunt's psychotic computer in Switzerland and almost blew up, but I was under Apple's warranty and got another one.

It still works. It's what, 5 years old now? And I'm sure the one they sent me was refurbished.

The only problem was Apple's software. They can't make software at all. But Rockbox fixed that.

I'd say go for the classic if you only care about music. You can check out this [http://www.copytrans.net/copytransmanager.php] or something similar if you want to put songs on it without iTunes. Some methods might void your warranty, though.

vxicepickxv

Slayer of Bothan Spies
Sep 28, 2008
I had a 5th gen iPod Classic(60Gb) that just died out a few months ago. I bought it in 2005, and for the most part it was great. I replaced it with a touch(64Gb), and I do enjoy the new interface, multitude of new features, and the new display.

If this one lasts as long as my Classic did, then I will really be able to say that the reason iPods are so good, is because they do so much. SharePod for the win.

Lem0nade Inlay

Apr 3, 2010
I've got a classic. It's not because I don't like the Touch, it's just the touch was far more expensive and I had no real need to pay more, as I didn't really want any of the apps. Plus I wanted a lot of space for movies.

However, I guess if you're looking for more features than just an mp3 player, you should go with a touch.

It's all about personal preference.

Blemontea

May 25, 2010
i have a second generation ipod touch and i LOVE it its banged up a bit seeing as though i got it back in late 2007 but still works fine and still fun to play and im getting more music lately so that adds more bonus points.

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
I have a new classic after my old one died last year. My last one lasted me 6 years. The new one is just as durable and has 160 gigs. I love it. I only now have started using Genius mixes on it. I had an awesome punk one yesterday while I was reading Our Band could Be Your Life

x0ny

Dec 6, 2009
tiredinnuendo said:
Define "transfer". I haven't bought stuff off iTunes yet, because honestly I'm not really a fan, but this is information I don't have.

- J
There is a "five" limit, and it is based on machine. You can play music purchased with a specific iTunes Store account on up to FIVE different computers at any given time. Each one is registered with the account, and when you reach five, you cannot add any more.

Jekken6

Aug 19, 2009
If you just have a large music collection and just want to listen to music, go with the classic. If you want more stuff, go with the touch. Classic is cheaper, though.

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
I've disliked ipods for ages because of their bullshit battery life (Promises 14 I got about 7) and the very interesting DRM on music with them. Ive always gone with an alternative like Creatives MP3 Players.

I have a itouch 3rd gen but I plan on selling it because I really just don't like apple or how restrictive the device is (even after being jailbroken).

tiredinnuendo

Jan 2, 2008
x0ny said:
tiredinnuendo said:
Define "transfer". I haven't bought stuff off iTunes yet, because honestly I'm not really a fan, but this is information I don't have.

- J
There is a "five" limit, and it is based on machine. You can play music purchased with a specific iTunes Store account on up to FIVE different computers at any given time. Each one is registered with the account, and when you reach five, you cannot add any more.
To be fair, when I download stuff, I usually convert it to a common format for ease of use. Is it possible to run iTunes music through a converter and make it a normal MP3 that you can copy indefinitely?

Do all the computers have to be online at once to cause an issue, or is it cumulative? In other words, will I lose my music after I reimage a single computer six times?

If they all have to be online at once, would iTunes actually have to be launched on each box at the same time? I would assume so, but I'm just not sure.

Depending on the specifics, that might not be as bad as all that. I think I can manage to not have the same iTunes library open on six different machines all at once, plus my various iPods/Phones.

- J

Metal Brother

Jan 4, 2010
I've owned various generations of iPods and they were all ok. iTunes, on the other hand, is like getting raped by Steve Jobs every day.

My current media player is the Zune HD and I absolutely love it. Amazing hardware, stunning UI and functionality on the device and great software. I've had it for over a year and have had no trouble at all - I can't praise it enough.

Doctor What

Jul 29, 2008
I can't imagine having that much storage space. I've had my itouch for almost three years now. It's survived my ass sitting on it, and breaking it. And a couple of washes.

So, it's pretty tough. That's my vote.

Choppaduel

Mar 20, 2009
need more pole options.

I have a 4gb 1st gen nano. Its small, unassuming, looks pretty good, and is the most durable piece of portable electronics I've owned. I don't love it though, cause you need the resource hog that is iTunes to use it. I would say I'm ambivalent towards it.