Poll: Is Not Dating a Certain Race Racist?

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
Not really. It would be like calling someone 'skinny-ist' for being attracted to larger partners. But if you aren't dating someone because you dislike their race (rather than a matter of attraction) then it is sort of racist. If you aren't attracted to someone that isn't a form of hatred, but if you hate a certain race chances are you don't find them attractive. So you need to work out which is the real reason for someone not wanting to date people of a certain race.

Personally I prefer women with light skin, so I'm not especially attracted to black women or even white women with a heavy tan. So I wouldn't consider that racism. Plus it might just so happen that I come across a black woman I find attractive.

n00beffect

May 8, 2009
rhodo said:
I think that's EXTREMELY RACIST.

"You're not asian/black/white, so I don't want to have sex with you because of this". It's bafflingly racist and I'm amazed so many people think it's not.

"I would never date a black woman."

"I'd never date an asian guy!"

...yeah, totally not racist.

Race is NOT the same as gender.... you have a genetical preference towards the male or female body. You are NOT supposed to have a preference towards black or white. It's disgusting to even think so....

....Or are nazis right? "Sorry, I am genetically predisposed to be repulsed by black women!"
I disagree, solely based on one little miscalculation - dating, or copulating or whatever the ffff you want to call it is not predicated on race, qualities, characteristics - as much as that would make the world a FAR better place(except in the 'race' aspect, of course), that is simply not the case, because dating is predicated mostly (and I say mostly, not fully) on physical attraction - there are in fact very, VERY few people out there who are truly sapiosexual, i.e. who are truly only attracted to the intelligence, and/or personal character traits - most of us act on physical attraction, because it matters to us.

So, why are you wrong? Not because your argument is wrong, but because the base of your argument is wrong - it's not about race, per se, it's about physical attraction - and, as you may have heard, the kind of traits you find attractive in any sex are mostly based on genetic predisposition. That's a gross over-simplification, I know, because there's also chemistry involved - pheromones, oxytocin levels, etc. But, in most cases (especially in today's society) it mostly comes down to looks.

Now, what the hell does that have to do with race, I hear you (maybe) ask? Well, the ugly fact of the truth, is that, as much as we hate genetics, certain races carry certain physical traits - again, not in all cases, but in most. So, if you are bound to not find certain common traits attractive, then it's more than likely that you won't find certain races attractive.

However, that being said, you are right - it is racist - but, as I detailed in my previous post (not directed at anyone) it's not harmful, and one has that right do discriminate or differentiate and make their personal choice, because they don't harm or offend anyone in the process (unless someone is offended by their personal choice, but that's their problem, not the racist in question). So, I wouldn't call it 'extremely' racist. But, to be fair, it is racist.

Oh, and just to make it clear - I date people of all races, as long as I find them attractive on some level. Period. I'm not defending people who discriminate in that aspect, I'm defending their right to do so, as misguided as I think that is.

surg3n

May 16, 2011
Not an easy question.

Personally, I don't find most African-descended women attractive, there are always exceptions, but generally they don't even register with me. It's not something that people can control, maybe the whole planet needs to grow up, and realise that honesty is a better way than political correctness.

Real opinion is very often confused with racism. If I said that I've never met a Chinese person that I liked, is that racist, honest, or what! - after meeting more than a dozen Chinese people, can I say that I don't like them? - is it a safe assumption that I won't like the next one either?
Is it even possible for personal experience to trump racism?

What if a questionable opinion can be backed up statistically, is it still racist, or just an informed opinion?

Kittyhawk

Aug 2, 2012
Technically, no that wouldn't be racist IMO. Thing is there are some lesser people, who will hold aloft such preferences, usually because of cultured prejudice or bad experiences with those non specific races from their past, perhaps. When looking for a partner, a person should consider all options within certain personal degrees. This kind of thing will be different for everyone, mind.

Prejudice comes easily taught and can be dangerously passed from an older generation to the next new generation. There are still parts of Europe where black or other minority people, get racist abuse for absolutely no reason than spite, ignorance, fear of the unknown and a culture of prejudice. Most people are smarter than that, but some still wave that stone age flag. Its very easy to mouth off and make assumptions about other people, when you don't know them and what they are about. Best not to let fears rule your actions. Being more open and learning new things about people you don't know can be more fun and interesting than ignoring, pointing and verbally abusing.

When I meet anyone new, I make a point to judge them on their character. I'm new them and vice versa but i'm aware things could be awkward to start. Personally, I'd date a female of any race so long as they are attractive in my eyes (that helps) fun to be with, get to know and good company. Got those and we'd be fine.

Try not to get preference and prejudice mixed up, people.

BloatedGuppy

Feb 3, 2010
surg3n said:
Maybe the whole planet needs to grow up, and realise that honesty is a better way than political correctness.
What about tact? What about diplomacy? What about compassion? What about sensitivity? Or is the most important and laudable thing in the world "honesty", interpreted as "Saying whatever you want, whenever you want"? I find more and more that "honesty" is used as a shield for cruelty or ignorance.

surg3n said:
Real opinion is very often confused with racism. If I said that I've never met a Chinese person that I liked, is that racist, honest, or what! - after meeting more than a dozen Chinese people, can I say that I don't like them? - is it a safe assumption that I won't like the next one either?
"I've met ten Chinese people, and disliked them all for various reasons" - Not racist
"I've met ten Chinese people, and disliked them all for various reasons. Therefore, it is a safe assumption that I dislike all Chinese people." - Racist

surg3n said:
What if a questionable opinion can be backed up statistically, is it still racist, or just an informed opinion?
Statistics are often used as fuel for racist confirmation biases, yes. "Here's a chart showing that black youths are statistically more likely to commit crimes than white youths. Ignoring all social and economic contexts for this, I choose to view it as evidence to support my belief that black people are genetically predisposed to be criminals. The stats support it!".

JediMB

Oct 25, 2008
Blood Brain Barrier said:
JediMB said:
I don't believe in race. I find the very notion of human sub-races to be racist. :D
It is. That's the point. How can you not believe in race though? Black skin is black. White skin is white. And like reproduces like. We classify sub-species of plant by color of their flowers or slightly differing leaf shape, so why not the same principle with people?
Well, sub-species of plants tend to have relatively static gene pools, right? Whereas humans of once-secluded populations have been mixing for centuries or more. So human "race" tends to be more about defining people by cherry-picked aesthetic traits; usually ignoring the actual genetic history involved.

Also, "black" skin usually isn't black, and "white" skin usually isn't white. "Black" skin can be a variety of brown shades, while "white" skin can be a variety of lighter shades of brownish/orangeish/pinkish. (Imagine if all flowers that came in shades of blue or red were referred to as "purples"?)

And, at the end of the day, I find the idea of defining people by simplified and assumed genetic heritage to be entirely useless. (Being able to map actual genetic heritage within fields like genetics and medicine, however, is both infinitely more useful and infinitely more complex than referring to people as "black" or "white".)

Lastly, people are people, and plants are not people. If nothing else, I'd say that should be of emotional and philosophical relevance.

Brian Tams

Sep 3, 2012
No. I knew a white girl in High School that would only date black guys. Does that make her racist against whites, asians, etc.? Of couse not!

I am not sexually or romantically attracted to black people. Hell. I am white and find myself more and more romantically attracted to people of hispanic heritage. I don't know why, I just am.

elvor0

Sep 8, 2008
Not really. I mean I don't find black women attractive, and I'm not particularly hot on Latinos (though that could be because their usual portrayal in most media isn't exactly great.)or indian, but not because I have anything against their race, they just don't tend to possess the aesthetic characteristics I find attractive. I pretty much only go for Caucasian or east asian (chinese/Japanese/korean etc), i dunno I just find thier features tend to be on the whole softer, cuter and more attractive in general, but then I don't think it's any different from liking women with really pale skin, or big eyes, or being ever so slightly pudgy. Not chubby exactly, just say...a 32/34 waist is good.

JediMB said:
And, at the end of the day, I find the idea of defining people by simplified and assumed genetic heritage to be entirely useless. (Being able to map actual genetic heritage within fields like genetics and medicine, however, is both infinitely more useful and infinitely more complex than referring to people as "black" or "white".)
I'd say it would be good if "brown" and "yellow" were a bit more acceptable. Asian isn't exactly a good word to describe people from Asia because you have Indians and Middle-eastern people who are a light brown, wheras Japanese/Chinese tend to have a slight "yellow" to "white" skin tone. And at the end of the day, they're just short hand. People don't intend to define them "by simplified and assumed genetic heritage", it's just a descriptive word. That man has very dark coloured skin, ergo his skin colour is black. I don't know him, where he's from or who his parent are. But I can describe his skin colour, if I were to do so.

Also, please no one misconstrue this is any degree of racism, I'm merely making an observation on description of skin colour.

nepheleim

Sep 10, 2008
Yes it is, and it's just as valid as not wanting to date any gender other than the one you want to. Is it discrimination? Yes. Is all discrimination necessarily bad? No. Personal preference is what it is.

BarbaricGoose

May 25, 2010
Brian Tams said:
No. I knew a white girl in High School that would only date black guys. Does that make her racist against whites, asians, etc.? Of couse not!

I am not sexually or romantically attracted to black people. Hell. I am white and find myself more and more romantically attracted to people of hispanic heritage. I don't know why, I just am.
Well, I mean, she could be racist. Maybe she was a white, female version of Uncle Ruckus?

Lucane

Mar 24, 2008
Piorn said:
Lucane said:
Piorn said:
That's as if someone would accuse me of Sexism because I don't date guys.
If you're not attracted to people, you aren't.
I'm sure I'd miss out on great people and personalities, but so do I only dating one gender.
Sorry to nitpick but I think it'd be homophobic in that regard.

For the inconvenience about a topical comedic video from Harry Partridge?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qCTbFN0EsDM

Hmm I seem to of forgotten how to post video links.
It's nothing to do with their sexuality, I don't date men, regardless of what they like.
Also, I never said my opinion should apply for everyone.
Have we really come so far that if you're not homosexual, you are automatically homophobic?
Oh sorry!! ^^;I was really tired earlier and didn't re-reead my post...

I just meant the term should be homophobic but I forgot to mention that...

No it doesn't make you homophobic because of that reasoning (I sincerely forgot to put this before.)

Loviathan

Mar 25, 2010
Just because it's unintentional doesn't make it not racist.

We have obvious discrimination based solely race - to claim it's not racist is silly.

However, it's also something that he has complete discretion over in his life, he's allowed to be racist in that regard. No-one's going to stand up and say "You must date someone you don't want to".

TL:DR - Racist, but who cares.

Jun 6, 2012
I would say it depends on your reasons. Personally I couldn't date someone of Indian or Middle-Eastern descent, simply because I'm not physically attracted to them. Do I hate them? No, not at all. I am just attracted to other things.

BlumiereBleck

Dec 11, 2008
Good god! People get upset over everything now! Who cares he who dates or if he even has a certain preference of dating a race. Who Cares?

Agayek

Ravenous Gormandizer
Oct 23, 2008
It's not racist in the slightest. Saying that you don't want to date someone who is black, or asian, or whatever else is simply saying that "the physical features typically associated with that race don't appeal to me". That's all there is to it.

Now, that's not to say such behavior can't be motivated by racism, just that, on its own, that statement is not enough to be throwing around accusations of racism.

babinro

Sep 24, 2010
Yes.

You're prejudging an entire group of people solely on their race. Seems like a pretty clear cut case of racism to me. This doesn't make you a bad person though. Like everything it's a matter of context. Just because you might refuse a relationship with someone of a particular race doesn't inherently mean you'll treat them with less respect.

BloatedGuppy

Feb 3, 2010
BlumiereBleck said:
Good god! People get upset over everything now! Who cares he who dates or if he even has a certain preference of dating a race. Who Cares?
Quoted for truth! I hate it when people get upset about things that I, personally, would not get upset about. It makes me so upset!