Poll: Is Russia in Europe or Asia?

tofulove

Sep 6, 2009
just going say, Eurasia is just a term to refer to the greater Asian and European land mass which Russia is in, as well as being in both Europe in Asia, for instance, you can say England is in Eurasia, and china is in Eurasia, and Iraq is in Eurasia

Kathinka

Jan 17, 2010
Sgt. Sykes said:
Kathinka said:
dude, it's the states..thinks i have encountered over there that people thought:
Sure, that would make complete sense. Only except the original poster is from Ireland, so that's what puzzles me.
okay, now that threw me off track. i did no even bother to look to be honest, i just jumped to conclusion^^

then his teacher most likely just massively sucks.

kirok

Jul 19, 2009
"It extends across the whole of northern Asia and 40% of Europe, spanning 9 time zones and incorporating a wide range of environments and landforms." (wikipedia)

Alex The Rat

Jan 8, 2010
This actually isn't an obvious question that can be solved just by looking at a map. The very idea of Europe is based more strongly on history and culture than any geographic or geological argument. But to answer the question without delving too deeply into those matters (which I am hardly qualified to do in any case): Yes. Russia lies in both in Europe and Asia, although the majority of it's population is linked more strongly, both geographically and culturally, to the former.

You really want to have some fun? Ask a Turk if he/she is European or Asian :)

chstens

Apr 14, 2009
I'll put it short, it's split around the Ural Mountains. Oh, adn Eurasia is the name of the entire European and Asian landmass/supercontinent/refridgerator.

Kingsman

Feb 5, 2009
Geographically, a massive effing part- if not the entirety- of Russia is located in the Asian continent.

Socially, it tried to follow a very different brand of culture from Europe until Peter the Great thought that Western European countries (London, Paris) were more awesome than Eastern European cities (Constantinople) and made a massive system reorganization.

Incidentally, he's also where I got my name from.

Wintermoot

Aug 20, 2009
the east block together with all the lands that where once part of the Soviet union (with exception of East Germany)

TheLefty

May 21, 2008
I'm pretty sure it's politically in Europe. Also, the amount of votes Valve ROOL!!! got in this poll has caused me to fear the future of humanity.

Standby

Jul 24, 2008
Geographically: Asia, Politically: Europe.

It's like Greenland in a way, Geographically it's a part of North America but politically it has its strongest connections to Europe.

Mcface

Aug 30, 2009
It's Eastern Europe with some areas in Asia.
And Russia is politically Russia. They answer to no one. NO ONE!

rokkolpo

Aug 29, 2009
Ninjamedic said:
pope_of_larry said:
eroasia (as the tectonic plate is called) if you wanna talk geology
or both if you talking politically
but most of it is in Asia
MellowFellow said:
I've always considered it to be in Eurasia. That sounds cooler too.
Though what else is in eurasia?
half turkey is in asia i think....
not sure.

Projo

Aug 3, 2009
I always liked General Patton's explanation:

The difficulty in understanding the Russian is that we do not take cognizance of the fact that he is not a European, but an Asiatic, and therefore thinks deviously. We can no more understand a Russian than a Chinese or a Japanese, and from what I have seen of them, I have no particular desire to understand them except to ascertain how much lead or iron it takes to kill them. In addition to his other amiable characteristics, the Russian has no regard for human life and they are all out sons-of-bitches, barbarians, and chronic drunks.
God, how did we get through WWII without getting turned on?