Poll: Jim Sterling Calls Out New Assassin's Creed (for racism/sexism?)

Phrozenflame500

Dec 26, 2012
More just mocking Ubisoft's shitty lazy-ass character design then calling them racist. The lack of female characters is a bit more eye-raising but again I'll chalk it up to lack of creativity.

Honestly I'm more sick of straight/white/male protags just because of how fucking boring they are. Particularly Ubisoft who hasn't written a protagonist worth a damn since Ezio.

wAriot

Jan 18, 2013
Cowabungaa said:
Especially because it's not just for race or gender's sake; liberté, égalité, fraternité. Women and people of colour played a substantial part in the French Revolution.
What.
There were a few thousands of black people, at most, in 18th century France. With very few exceptions, they didn't have any major role in the French Revolution (note: outside of the colonies, where they obviously played a big part in their own liberation. There were many black governors and generals).
Women are a different thing, of course. Clearly they were still seen as "inferior" to men, but they were taking steps for some equality. Hell, "Liberty" was represented as a woman (which could have been used by Ubi to do something cool).

CloudAtlas

Mar 16, 2013
Sleekit said:
CloudAtlas said:
Gamer87 said:
Excuse the rant, but am I really being unreasonable here?
No, you're not. Even by the gaming industry's not exactly overly high standards, a cast where all four protagonists are white men is a joke.
how's it "a joke" ?

in a modern US societal context only roughly 10% of the population are black (and only 5% are gay).

meaning if it was an accurate "demographic sample" (which btw is arguable not something that should be imposed on a creative narrative anyway) you'd need 9 white characters to statistically justify the inclusion of 1 black person.

the truth is both people of colour (and gay people) are actually hugely over represented in popular media.

now i'm not against that but to ignore the real (and regularly statistically measured and recorded) nature of reality and espouse a view that suggests reality is something drastically different...is actually pretty fucked up...
So by your own logic... why aren't 50% of all characters female? But this is not the point at all. The question is: Why wouldn't you make some of your characters female /non-white? Would it make quite a few people happy? Yes. Would it hurt anyone? No. Or aren't 2 or 3 out 4 characters who are white men enough for white men (with a lack of empathy) to identify with?

It is a joke in at least three ways. From a storytelling point of view, a more diverse cast is just more interesting, and gender and ethnicity just happen to be two pretty signficiant dimensions here. From a visual point of view, designing four characters who look pretty much the same is just boring. From a marketing/inclusion point of view it is a joke, because if you made one of four characters dark skinned and one female (for example), you would appeal to a broader audience without putting anyone off. Well, no one except actual racists and misogynist anyways... and I'm sure no one in here would admit to being a racist or misogynist, no?

Winnosh

Sep 23, 2010
I've got a question. What if they all look the same but have different clothing is because They are just the same character. Yes the game has a Co op campaign, but I highly doubt that Ubisoft is going to have each of the Co Op characters be completely separate and fully fleshed out characters. They're most likely just Your Assasin from your game going in in someone else's game like they did in Fable.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
wAriot said:
Cowabungaa said:
Especially because it's not just for race or gender's sake; liberté, égalité, fraternité. Women and people of colour played a substantial part in the French Revolution.
What.
There were a few thousands of black people, at most, in 18th century France. With very few exceptions, they didn't have any major role in the French Revolution (note: outside of the colonies, where they obviously played a big part in their own liberation. There were many black governors and generals).
Women are a different thing, of course. Clearly they were still seen as "inferior" to men, but they were taking steps for some equality. Hell, "Liberty" was represented as a woman (which could have been used by Ubi to do something cool).
Substantial might be pushing it then, but I would say that there's enough reason to include it, considering it's an interesting part of history that's often overlooked and it plays right into the values of the French Revolution. Who knew for instance about that all-coloured independent legion? It's an interesting opportunity to show us sides of the French Revolution we don't know about.

But yeah, the representation of women is indeed more substantial. Not including a black protagonist can be argued for, not including a female one is dropping the ball I'd say. It's about a storytelling perspective y'know.

Whitbane

Apathetic...
Mar 7, 2012
Judging characters before we even know any info on them? Wow, it's just like when people got angry at the Far Cry 4 cover before we knew anything about that!

Grimh

Feb 11, 2009
I think we've learned by now that when you're running a business of prominent assassin's you need a unified look to promote brand awareness, it's a tough market out there and you need be visible as an assassin to get those lucrative contracts.
You wouldn't want your customers to be confused about who they're hiring to kill people.

It's (probably) mostly just riffing on lazy design, as you said the competitive multiplayer has shown that they can do different and interesting designs. I don't think he's exactly condemning it to everlasting purgatory (exagerration) for it, just pointing it out.

I joke above but I get that a unified design could be good for players to quickly spot and differentiate your coop buddies from the masses. However the stonking big dumb arrows above all the player's heads kind of make that point moot I'd say.
Also you can still design characters around that and be creative about it.

wAriot

Jan 18, 2013
Cowabungaa said:
Substantial might be pushing it then, but I would say that there's enough reason to include it, considering it's an interesting part of history that's often overlooked and it plays right into the values of the French Revolution. Who knew for instance about that all-coloured independent legion? It's an interesting opportunity to show us sides of the French Revolution we don't know about.
Well, I suppose we still have space for a Haitian Revolution DLC. It's Ubisoft, after all, and it's a quite interesting part of the FR, hopefully interesting enough for the big guys to consider it acceptable.

(Edited for wrong formatting)

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Thunderous Cacophony said:
However, they are all assassins with the same lean body type, all wearing hoods and coats, and -most importantly- all presumably Frenchmen in the 1790's.
Unless french men from the 18th century were cloned in a vat, that still doesn't mean they have to be uniform. It's not like Assassins have been defined as one specific thing.

The people are going to look much the same if they want to keep even a veneer of historical accuracy (at least in terms of race; AFAIK, at this time France was still supporting the slave trade and there were very few free non-white people running around Paris).
Slavery was abolished in the 1780s. Even before then, the idea that there were very free free non-whites is ridiculous. There were very few free non-whites of higher status, yes.

This rationalisation of why historically speaking we need TEH WITE GUISE is getting absurd. I cannot wait for an AC game set in Edo period Japan with people insisting "of course it makes sense the protagonist is a white guy!" because we're already pretty much pretending the rest of history was white, so why not Japan? Or howabout pre-Columbian America. Maybe we can have a white Assassin in the Kingdom of Kongo?

Because it's really not that far off. We've white-washed everything else. Except American history, where we're suddenly quick to admit that history was nuanced.

Still, I'd like to see some confirmation Jim was talking racism/sexism and not just making a stab at how these guys seem to have the AC version of Space Marine Syndrome. They do look like clones with slightly different facial hair, or....

Lilani said:
Yeah, if I didn't know any better, I'd look at that and wonder if perhaps they were doing a game where you play as one character but in four different situations or realities, and each of these is representing the four scenarios.
OMG! Assassin's Scree: Shattered Dimensions! I wonder which one is Noir Assassin and which one is Ultimate Assassin!

But yeah, I think this is just a joke. I'm not even sure it would count as racism. It just looks like lazy cloning.

But since we're going there....

Rozalia1 said:
So the right end one doesn't have more of a olive skin look, while the left end one has more of a...Germanic look?
Okay, I've seen all the pictures on page 1 and I haven't seen this "olive skin" yet. As far as the "germanic" guy, all I see is different facial hair. If that's enough to make a guy germanic, then I guess that counts. But I think that's grasping at straws. Then again, I think this whole thing is/

Unless Jim's said something that's been quoted on page 2 or 3. in which case, allow me to stand corrected prematurely.

CloudAtlas

Mar 16, 2013
Sleekit said:
CloudAtlas said:
It is a joke in at least three ways. From a storytelling point of view, a more diverse cast is just more interesting
i can't quite see how altering a persons skin color (or sex) makes them somehow inherently "more interesting".

in fact tbth i find this kind of thinking deeply disturbing the more i think about it...
Gender- or race-swapping doesn't make a character inherently more interesting. However, in a literal as well as a figurative sense, it can add color to a cast.
What do you think makes for a more interesting cast in general? A uniform or a diverse group of people, both in terms of appearance as well as in character?

CloudAtlas said:
From a visual point of view, designing four characters who look pretty much the same is just boring.
people aren't props.

if you want to make decent, believable character groups its probably best to avoid the idea they should be as anaesthetically diverse as possible...because real social groups of people simply aren't.

real gangs don't dress like the power rangers.
Games are a visual medium (too). How characters look like convey (some) of their personality. And I don't know in what world you're living, but if I'm not mistaken most games that feature a larger cast of characters try to make them visually and otherwise distinct, and not just for inclusivity's sake. I was about to cite modern military shooters as one of the possible exceptions, but even Battlefield 4's campaign featured a black guy and a Chinese woman.

women on the other hand...were infamously amongst the most bloody thirsty participants of the revolution...but we're sure as fuck never going to see that side of woman realistically represented in "popular media"...
Yea sure. As if there are no female characters in games or movies that are in some way evil or otherwise negatively portrayed.

Jan 12, 2012
Zachary Amaranth said:
However, they are all assassins with the same lean body type, all wearing hoods and coats, and -most importantly- all presumably Frenchmen in the 1790's.
Unless french men from the 18th century were cloned in a vat, that still doesn't mean they have to be uniform. It's not like Assassins have been defined as one specific thing.

The people are going to look much the same if they want to keep even a veneer of historical accuracy (at least in terms of race; AFAIK, at this time France was still supporting the slave trade and there were very few free non-white people running around Paris).
Slavery was abolished in the 1780s. Even before then, the idea that there were very free free non-whites is ridiculous. There were very few free non-whites of higher status, yes.

This rationalisation of why historically speaking we need TEH WITE GUISE is getting absurd. I cannot wait for an AC game set in Edo period Japan with people insisting "of course it makes sense the protagonist is a white guy!" because we're already pretty much pretending the rest of history was white, so why not Japan? Or howabout pre-Columbian America. Maybe we can have a white Assassin in the Kingdom of Kongo?

Because it's really not that far off. We've white-washed everything else. Except American history, where we're suddenly quick to admit that history was nuanced.
Where are you hearing that slavery was abolished in the 1780's? Everything I find says that 1794 was the earliest date, and it was put back into place in 1802. As far as non-whites in France, I can't find any good information about their demographics; the best I can find is that there were some representatives of the Haitian revolutionaries and the property owners at the National Assembly, but nothing on their skin colour. If you do know anything else, kindly tell me or show me a source; I actually would like to know.

The rest of your argument is exactly the opposite of what I said. Assassin's Creed is famous for NOT white-washing: They are the only franchise I can think of to have Syrians, Aboriginals, various Europeans, and black people as playable characters, which is part of the crux of my original post (that Jim's tweet, if serious, was an overreaction to a perceived slight). There is absolutely no reason to suspect that a game in the Congo would star someone not from the Congo, or that one one in Japan would not have a Japanese lead. That is the argument that is being made here: That having a native French protagonist in Revolutionary France makes more sense than having a non-French protagonist, at least without proper explanation as to why they are there.

Saying that AC supports changing the race of people for whatever reason, or that I do, was absurdly incorrect and frankly offensive.

Jedamethis

Jul 24, 2009
Well, Ubisoft clearly haven't been twiddling their moustaches and trying to force the view that all important things in history were done by white people or anything like that, so I wouldn't say it's racist. I would say that it would be cool to show more diversity, and it's a shame they haven't, so far at least.

To people arguing that it should not be diverse, and yes all the characters should be white men, or at least yes all the main characters should be white men, because you really can't get enough of playing as a white man, I would ask why on earth that is.
It can't be for the sake of realism, because the point of games is that they're fantasies, where things can happen that would not ordinarily happen. Otherwise CoD would be five minutes long and involve you getting shot and dying, Mass Effect about coping with psychological trauma and probably being assassinated for trying to unite the galaxy, and Dragon Age would have no dragons in it.

norashepard

Mar 4, 2013
While they may have been slaves at the time, People of Color DID exist during that time. And, as has been established already in the creed series, the Assassins are not opposed to freeing slaves. I see NO reason that a freed slave wouldn't want to join with his rescuers, and thus, no reason at least one of the four dudes could be black. Furthermore, one of the things the revolutionaries fought for WAS emancipation of slaves, so again, it's not too implausible to have a black character.

You could even have a non-black PoC. France was not cut off from the rest of the world at this time, and one could reasonable expect there might be foreign merchants and their families living in the country.

History was never ever all white, regardless of what many believe.

Jan 12, 2012
Jedamethis said:
To people arguing that it should not be diverse, and yes all the characters should be white men, or at least yes all the main characters should be white men, because you really can't get enough of playing as a white man, I would ask why on earth that is.
It can't be for the sake of realism, because the point of games is that they're fantasies, where things can happen that would not ordinarily happen. Otherwise CoD would be five minutes long and involve you getting shot and dying, Mass Effect about coping with psychological trauma and probably being assassinated for trying to unite the galaxy, and Dragon Age would have no dragons in it.
There's a difference between realism and verisimilitude. In CoD, we don't want the realism of having to deal with realistic injuries because that is not fun. Similarly, we don't want a gun that vaporizes everything on the map with a single pull of the trigger, because that is also not fun. In Dragon Age, we accept dragons exist because that's part of the story; we wouldn't accept it if dragons suddenly began dispensing wishes and breathing cotton candy, because that's not part of dragons as they exist in that world.

On topic, you can see how realism comes into play in Assassin's Creed. People can't survive jumps from the tops of towers by landing in carts of hay. Nor in the real world is there a secret order of Assassins fighting Templars for control of magic items. However, the outside trappings of the eras are always played as realistically as possible within that framework, and part of that realism is that French people in the revolution were racist, and that there were very few black people in Paris at the time (I haven't found a single one through cursory Googling, but I'm sure they are out there). If Assassin's Creed was going to throw aside the trappings of historical accuracy, that's one thing; saying "there should be other ethnicities because dragons aren't real" is not an argument.

CloudAtlas

Mar 16, 2013
There's a difference between realism and verisimilitude. In CoD, we don't want the realism of having to deal with realistic injuries because that is not fun. Similarly, we don't want a gun that vaporizes everything on the map with a single pull of the trigger, because that is also not fun. In Dragon Age, we accept dragons exist because that's part of the story; we wouldn't accept it if dragons suddenly began dispensing wishes and breathing cotton candy, because that's not part of dragons as they exist in that world.
So what is the problem with people asking why none of those four Assassins is a woman? Women undoubtedly make up roughly half the population of Paris at any given time, non?

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Icehearted said:
Being overly PC kind of falls in line with this mode of thinking, despite Jim's usually very fair and rational statements on things.
I was unaware that saying things like "fuuuuuuuuuuuuck you" were politically correct nowadays.

Cowabungaa said:
Especially because it's not just for race or gender's sake; liberté, égalité, fraternité, we're in the French Revolution after all. Women and people of colour played a substantial part in the French Revolution.
Aren't the Assassins supposed to be all honey badger about race and gender anyway? I thought in the first or second game they established that anyone could be an assassin with proper commitment. They didn't go "I'm sorry, you don't get to join because you don't meet our cultural guidelines." Maybe I'm misremembering, but I could have sworn that they were all about that.

Sleekit said:
meaning if it was an accurate "demographic sample" (which btw is arguable not something that should be imposed on a contextualised fiction anyway) you'd need 9 white characters to statistically justify the inclusion of 1 black person (and 19 straight characters to statistically justify 1 gay one).
So it would be reasonable, out of 100 game protagonists, to see about 50 women (slightly more, really), 13 blacks, about 10 LGBT folks, and somewhere in the ballpark of 17 hispanic people, yes? Does that sound reasonable?

Meanwhile, if we're talking representation: slightly less than half of all Americans are male. decisively less than half of all Americans are white, non-hispanic males. I'll leave everything out for now, you you would think that based on those criteria, they could come up with one in four. Even as a token. Even as a cynical attempt to broaden their market.

I also don't buy the "historicity" argument because the AC games have been heavily anachronistic. It's sort of like arguing that a black Spartan in the movie 300 would be unrealistic. While one might loosely make that argument for something like Rome, 300 was so historically accurate that a four-armed alien robot wielding lightsabers wouldn't make it any less historically accurate/realistic. and here's a game that debuts itself with a Tears for Fears song. These are historical games in much the same sense that Dynasty/Samurai Warriors are.

Whitbane said:
Judging characters before we even know any info on them? Wow, it's just like when people got angry at the Far Cry 4 cover before we knew anything about that!
Well....

We've already seen one of these guys is the protagonist (and an Assassin, knocking the Templar theory out already), one commercial gives him a description, and one of the trailers shows them fighting together, but....Maybe one of them is secretly black?

Seriously, we already have more info than with FarCry.

Jan 12, 2012
CloudAtlas said:
So what is the problem with people asking why none of those four Assassins is a woman? Women undoubtedly make up roughly half the population of Paris at any given time, non?
They probably were about 50%; as people have pointed out earlier in this thread, women were really important to the Revolution, and I'll be surprised if they aren't a big part of the story.

In fact, we have an image of a female Assassin in the game:
Saying that there is no women is jumping the gun to the extreme; just because that short trailer didn't have a female playable character, that doesn't mean there won't be women in the game.

EDIT: My bad; upon further looking, I think that's a male character from an odd angle. I still feel like the inclusion of women is inevitable given the track record of Assassin's Creed. The usual multiplayer characters are from as wide a variety of backgrounds as the game can manage; the similar models they showed in that clip are probably not going to be the only choices.

Jiffex

Dec 11, 2011
I wouldn't even call it criticism, just a joke. He made them all the way through every press conference. There should be 3rd option for "It was just a joke"