Poll: Just pulled my first college all-nighter, you ever done it?

Dec 14, 2009
I was a terrible student and always left things until the last minute.

I pulled several all nighters at university.

Elementary - Dear Watson

RIP Eleuthera, I will miss you
Nov 9, 2010
Never for school, but I have done it many times for work! Usually without sleeping that day either! (Don't like messing up the body clock!)

White_Lama

Feb 23, 2011
I pull all-nighters all the time, however when I was in school, I wasn't the most hardworking student, so no all-nighters because of school no.

Except that one assignment where me and my mate worked non stop for two days (well yeah, we ate).

mysecondlife

Feb 24, 2011
My first memorable all-nighter was when I was forced to write 6 page long anthropology essay. It wasn't fun.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
I preferred to skip class than skip sleep. I'm essentially constantly drunk after not sleeping for about twenty hours. I've never had a cram that was so bad that I couldn't finish it by skipping class.

Smokej

Nov 22, 2010
Superbeast said:
Lilani said:
So here I am, more than 24 hours after the last time I woke up and without a wink of sleep inbetween. I had a horrible double case of procrastination and Skyrim this last week, leading me to pull an all-nighter to complete nearly an entire animation project in one night. I'm about halfway there, but it looks like I'll be able to make it before class this afternoon.

But I take it my fellow Escapists are much more responsible students than that, am I right?
I don't like your poll. There's no option for "I have repeatedly, and OH GOD I'M PULLING ONE NOW!"

I've a good half of a 12,000 word Dissertation draft to do for Friday (1 day + 2 nights) and an entire 4,000 word essay to write for Monday (4 days and 6 nights) - including nearly all the research (reading Sallust, Cicero, Lucretius, Virgil for primary sources then a whole bunch of secondary stuff) for the latter. I'm out of extensions on this work too (see below).

I have a condition that affects my quality of sleep, and hence ability to concentrate (or even start) my work - so I am usually starting stuff right at the last minute. Tried everything to work around it, including meetings with my University welfare staff...but no luck. It seriously sucks, and now I have to work like an absolute boss to get something barely passable in before the deadlines. And it is my final year too.

So I am planning multiple nights awake and working (starting tonight), probably staggered to give me some chance of not writing utterly incoherently...alas I do not even have the luxury of a "recovery coma" as I have lectures all next week as well.

>_<
good luck with staying awake multiple nights... did this once (2 nights consecutively without any sleep and several days with little sleep) for university where i had to write 5 essays (~ each around 20 pages meeting academic criteria not some backwater college crap) in a 14 days period.

One day/night is manageable, but 2+ days and nights are total shit... even my sleepless nights during my army service were better

SomeBrianDude

Nov 30, 2010
I pull all-nighters to get work done fairly regularly. It's not that I leave things to the last minute (my procrastination isn't quite that bad), it's just when I start to make some headway on a piece of work I tend to keep going until it's done/I'm forced to stop by something else (job, pub time, etc).

It help that I actually enjoy programming, spending that length of time doing something unengaging would be hellish. I guess I chose the right course.

Superbeast

Bound up the dead triumphantly!
Jan 7, 2009
Smokej said:
good luck with staying awake multiple nights... did this once (2 nights consecutively without any sleep and several days with little sleep) for university where i had to write 5 essays (~ each around 20 pages meeting academic criteria not some backwater college crap) in a 14 days period.

One day/night is manageable, but 2+ days and nights are total shit... even my sleepless nights during my army service were better
Thank you.

I'm going to try to not stay awake for multiple nights in a row (I've done this before too - 3x 2,500 word essays that all needed researching and writing to full academic criteria...I think I stayed up for 3 days and 2 nights all in a block...it was not fun at all) but rather have one night awake and then one night sleeping.

You're right about the military - back when I was with the Royal Engineers (albeit for a short time only) I was never as knackered staying up all night as I am these days at Uni. It is kinda crazy when you think about it!

rabidmidget

Apr 18, 2008
I haven't really done full all-nighters, usually I try to get a couple of hours of sleep as I find myself rewriting my code every 5 minutes when I'm particularly tired/stressed.

neoontime

I forgot what this was before...
Jul 10, 2009
lRookiel said:
Tonight is one for me, I'm so bad for leaving things till the last minute. I don't know why I do it. Oh yeah! because I can!
Hurrah, me too. Yeah, I'm just a slacker who can't get any work done unless I can rifle myself up just before the dead line.

Goofguy

Nov 25, 2010
I only ever did it once... and once was enough.

I didn't like the feeling of being constrained to my desk, slaving away at school work all the while seeing the sun set and rise in what felt only like a span of 2 hours.

yourbeliefs

Bored at Work
Jan 30, 2009
I used to just get up very early. I'd wake up at like 4am and work thoughout the day to get something done. I could never concentrate enough to pull off an all nighter.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
tried it..

...not worth the stress

I am considering pulling a gaming all nighter...just to do somehting CRAAAZY

Olas

Hello!
Dec 24, 2011
manic_depressive13 said:
Where is the "I do it every time" option? I just can't bring myself to start an assignment until it's too late.
Ya, pretty much this. I know when I'm procrastinating that it'll result in me typing to the rising sun, but I honestly can't break the habit. I pull at least one all-nighter a month.

Baneat

Jul 18, 2008
I crammed in reinforcements for 3 months of mathematics in one 18 hour string.

Exam was cancelled.

Erana

Feb 28, 2008
I have health issues which have really messed up my sleep schedule; I can wind up sleeping for 14 hours straight if symptoms decide to rear their heads up, no matter how well rested I am. Usually its "Fell asleep at an odd hour, passed out for over half a day, then have classes for all day the next day" and the all nighter doesn't have much of an effect.
Sometimes, though, I'm just so frustrated from being tired and sleeping all the time that I let myself get lost in art, the one thing that I can do no matter how tired I am.

babinro

Sep 24, 2010
No.

I realized in university early on that there is absolutely no way I can cover the the semesters course content in full with the time allotted. As such I simply managed my time such that if something was important, it would be done with several days if not weeks to spare. If it wasn't important, it would either never even get started, or be rushed last second to at least get some use.

That's not to say I didn't spend tons of time at study or work. Despite my delegation I recall spending a minimum of 12 hours a day focused entirely on classes/assignments/test book reading and exam prep.

I should note that I've always had to work hard to get my 'B/B+' grades. I'm fully aware that there are were plenty of people in the same courses as I that could perform better with only an hour or two spent a day outside of class if that.