Poll: Just pulled my first college all-nighter, you ever done it?

PrototypeC

Apr 19, 2009
Three days straight. I never left the studio. That was immediately after a 4 hour sleep, which was itself immediately after a 48 hour day. It wasn't easy, but there were others there with me (off and on) and I got a colossal amount of work done just in time to hand in the completed portfolios.

Right afterwards, I still failed out.

Navvan

Feb 3, 2011
I have never stayed up all night for something. However I use to change my sleep schedule in order to focus on projects and the like. For example I would go to bed at 7:00 and wake up at 2:00 in the morning to finish a project, or some other time frame depending on what I thought I needed. I've pretty much stopped doing it after my first semester Junior year though as its just not worth it.

I still work on things the day they're due of course, I just normally wake up at 4:00-5:00 instead of changing it up.

NoOne852

The Friendly Neighborhood Nobody
Sep 12, 2011
I always try to organize what assignments I complete on what days in order to prevent such things from happening, although, I have come close to pulling an all nighter a couple times.

darkcalling

Sep 29, 2011
I've done it before and probably will again, though that's usually more due to insomnia than homework related.

arnoldthebird

Sep 30, 2011
The satisfaction when finishing...just a super rush, can't explain the feeling. But I always procrastinate, just never really knuckle down and do assignments until it is up to the due date

lettucethesallad

Nov 18, 2009
Hello and welcome to architecture school, where all-nighters happen all the time, not because of procrastination, but just because we have so damn much to do all the time. On average I probably pull an all-nighter at least once a month.

ChocoFace

Nov 19, 2008
Tazzy da Devil said:
I've done it, and I'll do it again. My brain works better at night.
Same here.
The only time i could write term-papers and essays during the exam period was when i stayed up for a night. My brain somehow works better at that time, it's also really quiet and peaceful and all of my friends are sleeping so there's no distractions.

Apollo45

Jan 30, 2011
Did it all last semester. I had Monday, Wednesday and Fridays off, along with the weekends, so I ended up staying up all night routinely. Usually that meant on the nights between Monday and Tuesday and the one between Wednesday and Thursday, but it also often included Thursday-Friday and Friday-Saturday as well, since those tended to be the party nights. I'd say many in more than half the weeks last semester I pulled at least two all-nighters, and I don't think there was a week where I didn't do at least one.

By the end of the semester my sleeping schedule was completely and totally fucked up, but I had some pretty fun times. Got to do a whole lot of shit I wouldn't have been able to otherwise, and ended up getting a surprising amount done. I can't say my grades were better for it, but whatever. I passed all my classes, and that's good enough for me. Lots of damned good stories to go around too.

This semester I've done two or three so far that aren't on weekends, but I tend to have a much more regular schedule now that my days are pretty standard.

Monkeyman O'Brien

Jan 27, 2012
Yes. Oh god yes. NEVER. AGAIN!
I left the assignment till like the last 3 days. Then the day before it was due I reread everything and found out I had done it so massively wrong that I may as well have not bothered.
So yeah, all night, doing everything from scratch, trying to relearn whole sections. I am soo lucky that only some sections were marked so I managed to get a pass mark.

scar_47

Sep 25, 2010
A few but it's mostly been cramming several weeks worth of work into one night, classes where everything is due the last day don't work for me. Beyond that I haven't found it necessary since most of the projects and papers I find fairly easy or at least not too time consuming. I do always wait until the last minute the fear of failure really puts me on my A game, unfortunately this really won't work when I go for the CPA exam with my instructors recommending 30-40 hours a week of studying for 8-12 months cramming ain't gonna see me through.

Trippy Turtle

Elite Member
May 10, 2010
I stay up all night to do it but sadly it doesn't get done. Damn it internet and your ability to entertain me when I have things I need to do.

Harlief

Jul 8, 2009
Pro-tip, don't pull consecutive all-nighters: On the third day, that's when the hallucinations start and your essays become surrealist literature.

Zack Alklazaris

Oct 6, 2011
I always did my major projects during normal hours, but once I went to college sometimes you just had to pull all nighters or more.

I once went to a 4 hour lecture, then a 8 hour lab, followed by a 12 hour in school project, and then a 19 hour extra credit project. Thats 43 hours, but since they were usually 30 minutes to an hour or so apart its nearly 2 straight days of no sleep.

Sometimes the stars align and you just gotta take it.

Gerishnakov

Jun 15, 2010
I used to pull all nighters every time I had an essay due. I even ended up doing it for my dissertation! It was really bad to be honest. There were a couple of times when I had to drive the 50 odd miles back to university in the morning to actually hand my copy in. Bad times.

I chose the last option because none of the others really applied to me. I was a student, I'm not a student now, I might be a student again some time.

bluegate

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2010
manic_depressive13 said:
Where is the "I do it every time" option? I just can't bring myself to start an assignment until it's too late.
Pretty much this.

I never was able to motivate myself unless the deadline was right around the corner

RaffB

Jul 22, 2008
More times than I care to remember.

Worst one ever?

9am-4pm : University Lectures and trips to library to do group assignment, all of it...bout 3000 word equivalent
4pm-6pm : Train Home
7pm-4am : Alcohol....lots and lots of freaking alcohol...
4am-5am : Half Sleep, Half Unconsciousness
5am-1pm : Suddenly Realising that I have another assignment due in in two days.... finished it when half drunk and with no sleep. Got 80% (to be fair , was an easy one anyway)

Arakasi

Jun 14, 2011
Almost every assignment of my life has been done this way.
It's a really bad fucking habit, and I want to drop it, but y'know.

ImmortalDrifter

Jan 6, 2011
Hilariously I do better on the assignments I cram/procrastinate on, than the one's I carefully plan out and study for.

dobahci

Jan 25, 2012
If you've never pulled an all-nighter in university, it's probably because your course of study is too easy (read: "business").