Poll: KotOR vs Mass Effect

Jan 29, 2009
Soooo,
My bro is wondering which game is worth getting, so he wants to know which one is a better value, considering the 2 games are virtually identical gameplay-wise, as they use the same engine, and Mass Effect is essentially a copy of KotOR, attempting to copy the great game in a new universe.
Which would you choose?

EDIT:
Apologies, some of my wording implied that the 2 were in essence the same, whereas the gameplay is particularly varying between them.

Tartan_Ninja

May 31, 2009
Knights of the Old Republic, all the way. I had so much fun with that game.

And it had the legend that was HK-47.

wrecker77

May 31, 2008
Vs thred? No I will not reply to this.

Goddamit...

Mass effect. I dont like star wars. But I havent played kotor anyway.

DAMG

Feb 16, 2009
KotOR has more and better subplots, and characters develop more naturally. In Mass Effect, your companions will only share new information after a main mission, while KotOR does it somewhat unexpectedly. Besides gameplay, that really is the biggest difference. I would pick the one with lightsabers.

muckinscavitch

Jul 27, 2009
Mass effect is better due to the FPS side of it, plus it is a whole new world to become emersed in, and it is deep enough to keep you playing it a few times. Plus the second one is comming soon to continue the already amazing story.

Nargleblarg

Jun 24, 2008
The same engine? your brother is crazy. And you're also saying that mass effect tries to be kotor? I can see how you can think that but then again that's like saying all medival movies are trying to be LoTR or even all Sci Fi movies are trying to be star wars.

From playing both games multiple times let me say that they are like children. After you get them you learn to love them but absolutely cannot choose between them they are both great.

Although you can find Kotor much cheaper though but that's no reason to play both, I say it's worth your time and money to play both eventually.

dorm41baggins

Feb 24, 2009
Be aware that if you've got a fairly recent computer, you may end up jumping through hoops to get KotOR working on it. I got it working on mine, but I had to edit configuration files by hand and tweak game specific settings in the graphics card drivers. If you don't want to deal with the hassle, just go with ME.

Shycte

Mar 10, 2009
I'll have to say... Hmm hard one.

I think I have to go with PERSONAL REFERENCE.

Duh!

The Madman

Dec 7, 2007
NoMoreSanity said:
I think I'm one of the few to actually like II more. The characters were much more well-established, HK somehow got even cooler, and the stories darker tone was done wonderfully.
I'd say the original Kotor was the better game overall, but that Kotor 2 had the potential to be a better experience as strange as that sounds.

Really Kotor's plot is basic stuff, a one trick pony who once you've gotten past the mid-game plot-twist quickly becomes standard fare storytelling. Luckily it's so well done and the characters are interesting enough to hide that truth and make the game just so damn fun you don't care once you have figured it out.

Kotor 2 had a much more complicated plot which rather than relying on a single *BAM* twist just had a much higher focus on proper story-telling and presenting various thought-provoking themes and ideas to the player. The characters were more realistic in many ways, more believable and less just a series of fun cutouts. But as a game Kotor 2 was also horribly unfinished and the ending, which should (And would have) cemented the game into peoples minds was instead made a rushed, confusing mess.

That's my view on it anyway. Kotor is the better of the two, but Kotor 2 had the potential to be much, much better if only it had met it. I'm still grumpy with Lucasarts over the last-minute rush job they pulled! Could have been so awesome!

As for Kotor vs. Mass Effect. Hmmm.... They're both fantastic, I can't choose.