Poll: KotOR vs Mass Effect

TheDoctor455

Friendly Neighborhood Time Lord
Apr 1, 2009
Ace of Spades said:
Mass Effect. It's basically KotOR updated for the current generation.
No it isn't. First off, I don't remember seeing any turn-based combat in Mass Effect. Second, it's set in an entirely different universe that the devs created from scratch. Third, there are no lightsabers or any melee combat in Mass Effect. Fourth, I know that the Force powers in KOTOR may LOOK similar to the Biotics in Mass Effect, but both PLAY VERY DIFFERENTLY. Fifthly, FOR THE LAST BLOODY TIME, SPECTRES ARE NOT JEDI OR SITH!!!!

Daedalus1942

Jun 26, 2009
Singularly Datarific said:
Soooo,
My bro is wondering which game is worth getting, so he wants to know which one is a better value, considering the 2 games are virtually identical gameplay-wise, as they use the same engine, and Mass Effect is essentially a copy of KotOR, attempting to copy the great game in a new universe.
Which would you choose?
Virtually Identical? Have you actually played either of them? How's the story layout, the cutscenes, the gameplay, or any concept of Mass Effect anything like Kotor? I love them both, but that being said, you can not guarantee someone who likes Mass effect (a real-time, 3rd person shooter role playing game) will like kotor (a much more in depth and difficult semi-turn based game).
They are both nothing alike. So i vote both.

Slash Dementia

Apr 6, 2009
It's like asking a loving parent "which child will would you have die?" I don't think I can choose...but Knights of the Old Republic gets my vote simply because I love Star Wars.

DarkLordofDevon

May 11, 2008
Slash Dementia said:
It's like asking a loving parent "which child will would you have die?" I don't think I can choose...but Knights of the Old Republic gets my vote simply because I love Star Wars.
My thoughts exactly.

DON'T MAKE ME CHOOSE.

Ace of Spades

Jul 12, 2008
TheDoctor455 said:
Ace of Spades said:
Mass Effect. It's basically KotOR updated for the current generation.
No it isn't. First off, I don't remember seeing any turn-based combat in Mass Effect. Second, it's set in an entirely different universe that the devs created from scratch. Third, there are no lightsabers or any melee combat in Mass Effect. Fourth, I know that the Force powers in KOTOR may LOOK similar to the Biotics in Mass Effect, but both PLAY VERY DIFFERENTLY. Fifthly, FOR THE LAST BLOODY TIME, SPECTRES ARE NOT JEDI OR SITH!!!!
I'm not saying that they're the same game. I'm saying that Mass Effect took the loose concept and updated it, adding real time combat, and improved graphics and voice acting for the protagonist.

Daedalus1942

Jun 26, 2009
muckinscavitch said:
Mass effect is better due to the FPS side of it, plus it is a whole new world to become emersed in, and it is deep enough to keep you playing it a few times. Plus the second one is comming soon to continue the already amazing story.
It's third person, but... that and also the fact you can continue your completed Mass effect file into the second one really is just pure awesome.
I haven't seen that feature since Baldurs Gate: Dark Alliance, and well... that game kind of sucked.

Joshimodo

Sep 13, 2008
Both are brilliant RPGs, but there's no contest here-KoTOR is the better of the two.

dududf

Aug 31, 2009
I thought kotor was good for its day.. but the plot was alright, and I'm not a huge fan of the combat, but the rpg elements were good, and they did a good job on making me give a **** about the charecters (from which in most games it's the "so when do they betray me and I get to kill them" thought)

Where as I liked the FPS combat in Mass Effect, I liked the vistas (not to be confused with the OS) and the land scape, I love the charecter models, and I liked the conversations (they do very good jobs on making the facial animations pretty realistic) AND COME OOON! ;P it takes more skill then clicking on someone and hitting a button and waiting =]

If I had to choose I'd go for Mass Effect mainly because they are both good but Mass Effect is newer, looks better, plays better, and gets the small details.

*pulls up flame shield*

Kotor was awsome WHEN IT CAME OUT and years after, but mass effect is sort of like it (like comparing star trek and star wars) but more polished and with more STUFF, and that's only because it's newer. And this is just my opinion not a fact, nor will your response be a fact merely a opinion, so telling me I'm wrong is pointless, because I'm not and neither would you.

Great Games! :D

rembrandtqeinstein

Sep 4, 2009
I wish the stalled fan patch for Kotor 2 would finish so I can play it again. Everyone should play it just for the Peragus station level, top notch level design right there. Then don't play because the ending was horribly rushed due to executive meddling.

Chicago Ted

Jan 13, 2009
I found KoTOR to be dull in all honesty. I really don't know why so many people love it.

Mass Effect is still a great RPG though. Not as much for action but for the dialogue and what you can do in that sense of it.

ZeroMachine

Oct 11, 2008
I absolutely love both, but KOTOR made me the Star Wars fanboy I am today, and I think the characters are more likeable and the relationships more believable, so I'll have to say KOTOR.

Not the second one though -_-'

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
The gameplay is pretty different.

Gotta be KotOR from me though - although they're both so cheap, why not get them both?

Definitely the first KotOR though. The second... No.

Xaositect

Mar 6, 2008
Ive voted Mass Effect because I prefer the mature experience. Unfortunatly this thread is sort of useless, since the key word is "preference". They arent in any way "identical" despite what the "SPECTREs = Jedi" type of morons would like to believe. They are two very different experiences.

The only thing I would recommend to anyone making this kind of decision is to research both games extensively and come to your own conclusion.

LewsTherin

Jun 22, 2008
Well, Mass Effect came across to me as a more mature KotOR without force powers in a different universe with more shooter elements.

Instant K4rma

StormFella
Aug 29, 2008
KotOR is 2nd in my top 5 games of all time (behind Zelda: OoT). Mass Effect would be somewhere around #9 in my top 10. Both brilliant games, but my vote goes for KotOR.

LongAndShort

I'm pretty good. Yourself?
May 11, 2009
KotOR, just because of HK-47
NoMoreSanity said:
Darrkon Fearlock said:
I didn't care for the sequel, it was longer which was what I wanted, but the story lacked. The first was much better.

Edit: Also don't make me pick, it's like asking which of my vital organs I need the most to live.
I think I'm one of the few to actually like II more. The characters were much more well-established, HK somehow got even cooler, and the stories darker tone was done wonderfully.
Don't worry my friend, your not the only one.