Poll: KotOR vs Mass Effect

Xaositect

Mar 6, 2008
ianrocks6495 said:
Kotor is fantastic.

Who was that Mace Windu-ish character in Kotor1?

He was awesome.
Jolee Bindo.

Voiced by the same guy who did Sarevok if you can believe it.

Bigeyez

Apr 26, 2009
What? How is ME a copy of KOTOR...they're both RPGS in a Sci-fi setting...and thats it.

Anyways they are both great games and both are dirt cheap so why not get both. If I HAD to pick one it'd be ME because the replayability it has surpasses KOTOR in my book. That and KOTOR being old as dirt (graphically speaking) didn't age as well as other games.

mrF00bar

Mar 17, 2009
I loved both games with a passion, if you want more action then go for Mass Effect but both are brilliant with lots of playability. Well i think so...

ChaosTheory3133

Jan 13, 2009
While KoTOR is great and everything, I voted Mass Effect. Mostly because
1) Original Setting outside of an Established Universe.
2) Downloadable Content
3) Upcoming Sequel will use the save data from the Old Mass Effect.
Though in actuality both are worth having.

Clashero

Aug 15, 2008
muckinscavitch said:
Mass effect is better due to the FPS side of it, plus it is a whole new world to become emersed in, and it is deep enough to keep you playing it a few times. Plus the second one is comming soon to continue the already amazing story.
FPS? Where?

Ultress

Volcano Girl
Feb 5, 2009
I never really cared for Mass effect and it gave me headaches. So even though I haven't played KotOR, go for KotOR

or you know you could say Screw 'em and get Jade Empire.

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
At first, I was a huge fan of KotOR 1 over the sequel, I thought the story was far superior, but a 'recent' (last six months) playthrough of KotOR2 really struck me as to just how deep it could be. We see HK-47's character actually expand beyond just the humourous assassin droid as he becomes Revan's mouthpiece for conveying some of his philosophies to the Exile, Kreia's manipulative, mothering, harsh, caring and ridiculously convoluted teaching methods all rolled into one...it was an excellent story and if there'd just been an extra six months polish (fuck you LucasArts. Fuck you.) on it then it would have blown KotOR1 out of the water and stomped all over it.

You had to look harder at KotOR2 to appreciate the intricacies I found. The story really came off as less good than it could have been if you didn't explore all the sidequest dialogue options available to you, but if you did everything (as you should have been doing for a game like this :p) it was an excellent experience. One I would freely recommend to everyone.

Is Team Gizka finished yet by the way? \o/

As for KotOR Vs. Mass Effect: Not a fair comparison by any means. Two different games made in drastically different times with different capabilities for their platforms and Mass Effect hasn't even 'finished' yet. I'll wait til we get Mass Effect 3 and KotOR 3 before I make a final decision on that.

Spectrum_Prez

Aug 19, 2009
Mass Effect had much better gameplay as far as combat goes, KOTOR'S adapted D&D stuff was really getting old. ME also wins as far as graphics, voice acting, and production quality go. However Kotor had a better story and, aside from Shepherd, better characters.

ME's aggravating Mako is balanced by KOTOR's annoying as hell spaceship shooter sections. Actually, the Mako was more endurable for me.

soren7550

Overly Proud New Yorker
Dec 18, 2008
Mass Effect.

The characters and the story really get to you in a good way, and they will all stay with you long after you stop playing.

YuheJi

Mar 17, 2009
Amnestic said:
Is Team Gizka finished yet by the way? \o/
I recently checked, and they're in closed beta.
I vastly prefer KotOR to Mass Effect. I love ME, but I just recently replayed KotOR, and I had forgotten how good it was. I like the combat, I think the characters are more likable. And the inventory system was much better than Mass Effect's system with the omnigels and whatnot.

arcticfox11

Mar 21, 2009
Seriously. Get both. I know where I live, I can snag a new copy of Mass Effect for $18. KOTOR is a much older game so I can only assume it'd be just as cheap if not more so. I can't say for sure, as I've never needed another copy, so I've never looked.

Both games are an amazing experience. Both are totally worth the collective cost.

Hollock

Jun 26, 2009
Tartan_Ninja said:
Knights of the Old Republic, all the way. I had so much fun with that game.

And it had the legend that was HK-47.
quiet meatsack

CmdrGoob

Oct 5, 2008
Mass Effect.

I thought KOTOR was pretty dull; the semi realtime semi turn based combat was pretty clunky and the black and white way in which it deals with the choice between dark side or light side makes it one of the worst offenders in the 'choose between being a saint or eating a baby' school of moral choices, which I find uninteresting and grating.

MetallicaRulez0

Aug 27, 2008
I found KOTOR to be a snoozefest.

I love Mass Effect, no matter how incredibly shitty this last DLC was.